Okay...teach me about love.

I've only had a few hours sleep but here goes

Love is a generalization for a hidden agenda most people like to keep hidden. It's a nicey nice buzz word. Sex & attraction can be spiritual or lustful, what you put into it... :p emotionally results in a prolonged feeling or a flash-in-the pan attraction. Natural attraction for reproduction is all inherant in us all, though this attraction spreads to other things because we are intelligent beings - for example music!! Love for anything other than sex is a fetish. A good fetish is to want to be with someone for reasons other than sex, but that feeling still stems from our natuaral inbuilt attraction, which is an organic program to mate when you strip things down to the core. There are lots of reasons to be with someone, to feel safe, to have sex with them, to socialize. If you have the correct proportion of each of these things I guess you can catagorize it as being in love.

I know that feeling. And I love to have it--I'm a good old fashioned romantic. But that feeling fades. It comes and goes. That's where a lot of relationships/marriages end: "I fell out of love."

Love means I humble myself and continue to adore her when it doesn't give me warm fuzzies--bet because it's what she needs and deserves, regardless of how it makes me feel at the moment.

The cool thing is that the emotional swirl of "being in love" does return. And it's made deeper and stronger by each season of loving out of commitment rather than just feeling.

It's a yin and yang thing. The "in love" thing is worth fighting for. Hell, it's worth dying for! But it can often only be renewed by continuing to love in its absence.
Love is what is left after all the newness fades and the initial romance is gone...

come on guys. you can do better than that. :) tell true, (and me) what men think of love. what it is to you. what it means to you. :)

Ok, I'll try - There's 2 ends of a spectrum, love and lust. You almost always enter a relationship on the lust end of that spectrum cuz it's so much more frequent, easy to fall into, no real emotional investment. As your lusty relationship progresses, the real love may or may not set in. If it does, you find yourself slowly sliding towards the love end of that spectrum. Usually not IME, but it does if you have key things in common... I suppose what those key things are depends on the persons involved. If you do start sliding towards love, you become a part of a much larger system of feelings, trust, priorities, etc.. Your thinking slowly shifts from how hot she is to how cool she is. From what you wanna do to her now, to what you wanna do with her in the future. The physical attraction remains, but you're adding on a spiritual emotional connection that constantly gains higher priority. If you're single, you serve your own purposes. The more in love you are, the more you think about what you can do for the better of your relationship. You don't mind making sacrifices, in fact you're happy to do them. You arent the center of your universe any more, but that's ok, because you have something better. The good times are GREAT, and the bad times are still good. Because whatever financial, social, health, etc. problems you have, nobody can take away a real love connection. And all the negative caused by those problems pales in comparison to the positive generated by true love.

The love I feel for :cool: makes me smile at odd times, but especially when I'm with her. It makes me happy whenever I think of her and totally blissed out when I am lying next to her and feeling her breathing next to me. It leads me to do special things to make her happy and pay attention to her, even when I'm trying to do something else. It guides me to care for her and do what I can to keep things going well in life so we can spend more special time together.

And it has nothing whatsoever to do with sex.

:cool: == any of two special cats and two special women

come on guys. you can do better than that. :) tell true, (and me) what men think of love. what it is to you. what it means to you. :)

I'm gonna paraphrase, but here's how I see it.

stones taught me to fly
love taught me to cry
so come on courage, teach me to be shy
'cos its not hard to fall,
when you float like a cannonball...

If men are actually honest, love means ... all I need to say is "I love you" and your ass is mine!!" :D

But most men wont tell a woman that as it will get them nowhere!! ;) All male sensitivity is as false as female orgasms. There are a few exceptions of course. ;)
Your idea of a man is pretty small. I'd say it's more like that of an immature teenager :(

Your idea of a man is pretty small. I'd say it's more like that of an immature teenager :(

Grow a sense of humour moron :rolleyes: , being a man myself I found it a particularly ironic thing to say. And as for the negative feedback why not use it for when someone is giving bad advice that will end up being really detrimental to others. Going by what you posted in the reputation text box you seem like the immature teenager. You don't have to go to those lengths just because you disagree with someone's post, or don'e understand the humour or think it's below you. Actually my description of a man is probably in the same league as what your proving by your latest actions ;)

The irony continues...

I only hope...

....that you doods don't get into some continued arguing in a Love thread...damn that Testosterone is some powerful stuff!!!:eek::D

Now I need to read the rest of the stuff y'all have written...;)

I only hope...
....that you doods don't get into some continued arguing in a Love thread...damn that Testosterone is some powerful stuff!!!:eek::D
I won't true. Something just needed to be removed and directed to the cave where it belongs.

So, what do you think about the simple answer I had to your simple question?

Okay....I'll start with a simple question.

Define what love is to you...when you say you love your wife...what does that mean to you as a man, because I know that sometimes men and women perceive love differently.
Okay, I'll bite.

As a father of eight who has been married for twenty years I am more than likely at the far end the bell curve.

When I say I love my wife....

... I'm happy to see her, even if she just royally pissed me off.
... It is difficult to impossible to sleep when she and I are removed from each other. Business trips were unpleasant.
... When she sleeps I want be touching her somewhere, even if it's just stroking her hair.
... I want to hold her. Invariably this leads to a certain physical response... which I would like to have addressed... but afterwards I still want to hold her.
... When she's gone too long I start making funeral plans and wonder how I am going to cope.
... When we have a huge fight I ask myself if I want to be right, or if I want to married. So far it's always been the later.
... I put her needs before mine. Sometimes she does the same.

I don't know if it's really that different for men and women.

For me, it's a combination-- to varying degrees at different times.

Here's some thoughts in no particular order...

1. Men have a lot of needs, but among those needs is a desire to BE needed. I put a roof on our house last month. Made me feel good to be useful in that way, but it's also good to be needed in the less tangible emotional and psychological ways. Applies to both sexes.

2. "She's a good hearted woman in love with a good timin' man, and she loves him in ways that she don't understand." That's Willie singing from my turntable. There's a gal who's codependent or whatever... but men get into the same kind of things. Maybe it's the need for drama, that exhilirating glow of the moment of reconciliation. Both sexes do this.

3. The need to procreate, as somewhat cynically described above by _brian_. Applies to both sexes, although I think the drive manifests itself more physically for a guy and more psychologically for a gal. We're classic weekly young busy marrieds with toddlers but, My wife knows what happens if it gets to be like ten days... I get like this: :mad:

Girls aren't quite like this, but the Biological Clock thing seems to be quite powerful, albeit happening over a longer period of time. So, both sexes again, but different as far as frequency.

4. The need for self esteem. Having a partner makes one feel accepted. I'm sure there is a deep ingrained instinct to feel accepted by a group. I can't imagine most would make it very long if they were ostracized from the tribe 20,000 years ago. ...both sexes.

5. Food. We bring. You cook. My wife and I have this down pat. Our first week dating, she showed up at my apartment in Queens with Fajita Makings When I answered the door, she chirped "meals on heels!" That and the Sushi she'd make me had me eating out of the palm of her hand, if you will.

I'm not sexist, but this is a very natural and ancient arrangement that can work out nicely. Yum.

6. Friendship. Again, mutual.

7. 32-20 said something about being more needed than the next cigarette. This stuff seems to come together, mixed with a healthy dose of habit and routine, and makes love an addiction... for both. My wife's away on day three of a business trip in Philly. I'm not getting much sleep at all! Applies to both sexes.

8. Things diverge more for me in my role of a father. My wife's motherly impulses are very different from what I experience-- and I'm a very involved father. Our love for our children is intertwined with our love for eachother, but it is the place where I see the greatest gender differences.

9. Guys are visual. Enough said.

That's all I got for ya for now. Oh, except for this. Not really another point, but think of how we use the word to apply to our favorite anything.... I'm not sure what that says about us, but the word seems to be overused.

Your turn. What is your definition of love, as a woman?

Your turn. What is your definition of love, as a woman?

Love to me as a woman...I wouldn't know. I've never been in love...lots of crushes that interpret into a *love*...but down inside, I know they are not love...only crushes...after all these years, I think I am incapable of love, other than caregiver love...that of a mother...or a friend. and I have never been loved before either(other than my kids)...never been put first...or even second. I've never been that gal some guy can't live without..just the way it's always been...I don't know any other way, so it is familiar to me... If someone did fall in love with me, it would scare me to death!!! It feels strange being so candid about myself without sugar coating it. Actually, I am contradictive of myself...very much so...oh well, fuk the love shit anyway...I do know I love my geetars and my HOg;)

But...if I were to meet love...if it ever happens, I would want security of heart..to know someone sees me...hears me...feels me...knows me..and still likes me and wants to be around me a lot ..and keep me safe...from the dark...he would never lie to me...he would never hit me...he would never be cruel of tongue to me or intentionally hurt me..he would never turn his back on me...he would be interested in my day, even if it were uninteresting. He would enjoy making me smile..I would not be a burden to him...he would not take my music from me...but embrace it, because of course, the music would be a part of him too. I would hope he would love to ride and also love the ocean...water in general. And that traveling would not appall him. Sex..lots of sex..for real. I love sex. It can be a gentle show of love...or a passionate show of want and need...or a kinky show of delight...but for sure, sex IS a big part of relationships. Show me one that lacks thereof and you can be sure there is straying going on or a constant struggle not to...Flowery words not a necessity, but touching is. Real words spoken with honesty...positive nature and happy heart..serious soul and free spirit.

He would know that my children and grandchildren bring me joy and would not overshadow that joy with jealousy...nor would he be stingy...but frugal. He would see to it that all financial matters were right and even guide me in those things I am unfamiliar with. He would not demand or threaten...but encourage and lead...oh shit, this is sounding like a eHarmony profile:eek:...I could name a zillion things I suppose...but one of the most important ones, would be that he allow me to give freely of myself right back to him... whatever I am capable of giving...would I begin to understand what love is then..?...I dunno...maybe I was meant to be alone of heart, when it comes to a man...for what reason I don't know. I feel an important part of life's experience is missing, but one cannot make it happen. It either is or it ain't....or maybe I should just consider becoming a concubine....oh wait, that would be in the granny Harem....:D

Back