off and on

8bus

I am lately having a problem with my computer shuting down and restarting on it's own in the last couple day's. Is this the sign that the power supply is going out or something else/ help Please!

Yeah it could be the power supply.

It could also be a Windows service that is failing and causing it to restart. I've had this problem on Windows XP.

What OS are you using?

I am using win XP Pro with protools 002r. But when I am running pro tools it does not do it? I don't know why? it's like protools has taken over my computer because I run soundforge or Sonar I will be working and all of sudden bam! restart but if I am running protools nothing happens. Spooking hu!! Also I sent you a pm on your website offer

You know I thought that too, but I did have it the shop about 4 months ago, but the shop has now gone out of business. I also have a big heavy duty fan on the processor and five fans in the case. Like I said it is not all the time yet, but I like to find out now what it wrong than wait until I really need it to work. I have dual processors and 2gigs of ram and three cd-r players for when I use samples, that is also another time when it will just up and restart.

There's a few things it could be, I've had the problem a few times with different computers actually. One time it was the power supply and when it finally went out it ruined my motherboard and processor. Another time it was as simple as the power cable to the motherboard wasn't snug

Do you have any kind of temperature montoring device?

I have a very similar thing happen, but it only happens when I'm playing games. I get BSOD listing nv4.dll as the cause. Usually someting to do with an infinite loop. I thought it might be my graphics card at first but I swapped it out with an older one and it still happens, just not as much. My computer runs stupidly hot though, like right now, all I'm doing is looking at this BBS, and I'm getting 62 degrees C onthe CPU. Taken the whole thing apart, dusted it completely, put it back together. Only about 5 degrees cooler. Fuckin' thing is a piece of shit. Doesn't make any sense. Although, it possible that it may be my PSU causing it to overheat. Stupidly designed thing belches heat out over the CPU heatsink. I'll probably get a new PSU at some point, but it could be a complete waste if it doesnt work.

It doesn"t really matter how many fans you have in yer PC cuz after a few Months of Useing your PC thge Dust Build up in yer PC will cause the Fans to not be as Effective and the More Fans you have the faster the Dust builds up....

I have 5 Fans and a very good Cooler in my PC but after about 6 months of not cleaning out my PC I will start getting warning beeps from the Motherboards temp monitor which is my Que to open up the PC and start cleaning it out.....

With a Clean PC My CPU temps is about 30c with a Dirty PC my Temps go up to about 50c....My CPU is a 2.6ghz P-4 Northwood But it is overclocked to 3.2ghz but still stays very cool when my PC is Dust free....

:D

Well on the cleaning tip you may have something there. Also my computer is on the floor under my mixing desk. I do have a power amp alesis 100 right behind it, but it is not always on, and thought that it may not be a good location to have it, but it's out of the way as to I really do need another rack, but no space to put it. It does get pretty warm up under my desk area as I do have two other amps and a XLR patch bay under there as well. I guess I have some cleaning and moving to do. thanks all!

Thanks guy's with your help, I finally got off my ass and opened my computer,it was'nt that dusty inside however I did find that the CPU fan was running intermittedly, so I went into bios and changed the fan speed from lagacy to disable, so now the fan run's all the time instead of off and on. I also found that one of my fans was not working at all? the dips at comp USA did'nt even run any power to it??? I should of did a better job of checking there work after I got machine back home!

Thanks guy's with your help, I finally got off my ass and opened my computer,it was'nt that dusty inside however I did find that the CPU fan was running intermittedly, so I went into bios and changed the fan speed from lagacy to disable, so now the fan run's all the time instead of off and on. I also found that one of my fans was not working at all? the dips at comp USA did'nt even run any power to it??? I should of did a better job of checking there work after I got machine back home!

The fan running intermittently is actually a feature, smart fan. It's dynamic cooling, so that wouldnt have been a problem.

LOL @ the comment about comp usa.

Your system is probably rebooting due to device failure, or a driver issue. Windows XP by default is set to automatically reboot, instead of displaying a Blue Screen Of Death. To better assess what's going on, i would recommend disabling that feature. I included two screenshots to help if you need it, but to do it, right click on my computer and go to properties (or Hold the windows button and press pause break) and then click on the advanced tab ---> Startup and recovery - Settings ---> Uncheck Automatically Restart.
Then the next time it happens, write down the message that it displays. Chances are that it will reference the cause of the problem.
I would also recommend running the scandisk utility, and check both options. After you run scandisk, verify that you dont have any bad sectors. If you do, back up your data immediately ;)

This should get you started in the right direction. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 30
I was not kidding about the Comp USA issue, they had my computer for over six weeks back in the spring of this year. Anyhow since I changed the fan config and cleaned her out the computer has not crashed all day, as that I turned it on this mourning and it is still up and running, even with Sonar 5 up with a wave file set to loop forever. I did follow your suggestion of the restart configuation. thanks alot.

Peace Out!

Another thing is, you may want to move it to an area where it can "breathe" a bit easier. PCs need a good amount of air flowing through them and if it's sitting under a desk with a rack behind its output fans, it might not be able to push air quick enough to cool sufficiently.

Back