NOS Braun TG-1000: Keeper?

p_wats

Hey guys,

Long time lurker first time poster...blah blah blah. I was hoping for some advice on a reel to reel I picked up recently--trying to decide if I should keep or sell it.

On the weekend I was digging through a basement and found a never opened Braun TG-1000 2-track reel to reel in pristine condition with 2 unopened reels of TB-1022 Braun tape.

This is my first deck. I've been looking for a while, but am so new to analog recording that I didn't want to invest in a junker. Naturally this was the exact opposite, so I had to take it!

Initially, I was set on selling it, as everything is in German, and it has nothing but DIN connectors (5-pin mostly and a weird 4-pin for the headphone jack), but it's a beautiful beast. I've been able to find suitable adapters and 5-pin to RCA cords, and the house had tons of open/sealed 1/4" BASF tape, so we're in business.

People have been offering me all sorts of cash/trades for it, but do you guys think this simple 2-track would serve me well in my recording setup for either bouncing to tape, mastering, or simple live demo recording?

Here are some pics from when I first took it out of the packaging (!):

TG1000_01.JPG

TG1000_02.JPG

TG1000_04.jpg

Listening to some German folk music one of the reels had on it...

TG1000_05.JPG

I think I've figured out what these do: first allows for monitoring inputs, next 3 select between tracks for listening/recording. Not sure about the "Multiplay" button though.

TG1000_06.JPG

Going to get some 5-pin DIN to 4 RCA cables tomorrow, but any ides what the other 2 connections are for (they read "Projector" and "Sync")?

Also, any general advice on things I want to do to this in terms of maintenance? It seems to work perfectly and I'd like to keep it that way! I got a demagnetizer from the same basement, so I'll give that a shot.

What do you guys think--keep it for recording use or sell it as a pristine relic (I'd keep it regardless if I had a bigger apartment)?

It's beautiful! Personally, I think I would end up sticking it up on my mantelpiece.

Ha! Thanks. While I tend to agree with you, I don't think my girlfriend would.

I'm trying to decide if I should sell it for $300 (highest offer so far) and invest in something I'd get more use out of, or keep it for a while and see what's what.

I'm starting to develop an emotional attachment though, having rescued it from the depths of an old lady's basement.

Never seen one of these before and NOS too? That's too much for my brain to handle right now. :eek:

That's such a nice-looking machine. Either don't sell it, or only sell it to me. :)

Germans are pretty good with their audio gear manufacturing ;). I'd suspect this is a pretty decent machine. Searching the net, it also seems that the Braun products are designed (style-wise) by Dieter Rams. This tape deck may have value as an art piece as well given its condition. I'd seriously consider boxing it back up and keeping it brand-new.

Edit -
Here's a link to Dieter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Rams

Cool article:
http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-braun-products-hold-the-secrets-to-apples-future

(Also, I can't say "Dieter" without thinking about Mike Meyers on SNL).

Attachments

• dieter.jpg
    dieter.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,199
Last edited:
That's such a nice-looking machine. Either don't sell it, or only sell it to me. :)

Germans are pretty good with their audio gear manufacturing ;). I'd suspect this is a pretty decent machine. Searching the net, it also seems that the Braun products are designed (style-wise) by Dieter Rams. This tape deck may have value as an art piece as well given its condition. I'd seriously consider boxing it back up and keeping it brand-new.

Ha. Thanks for the info/Myers.

I am also tempted to box it back up and keep it perfect, but I don't really have the room to have gear I'm not using. In that regard I've got a few collectors wanting to buy it ($300 seems to be the going offer...does that sound right/reasonable?).

If I sell it then I need to get a deck I'm not afraid to use and abuse/learn to maintain. I can get a Fostex M80 with tape locally for $175 in good condition, which might be a more useful piece of gear in my setup, but the sentimental horder in me wants to keep this too...ha.

300.00 for ANY reel-to-reel in brand-new/NOS condition is a HELL of a deal...for the buyer. Don't sell it, not for that price! I'd stow it away, back in the box, and either wait for a better offer (say a Grand or two), or until you're ready/able to use it properly.

300.00 for ANY reel-to-reel in brand-new/NOS condition is a HELL of a deal...for the buyer. Don't sell it, not for that price! I'd stow it away, back in the box, and either wait for a better offer (say a Grand or two), or until you're ready/able to use it properly.

That's what more and more people have been telling me lately. I'm going to show it to an audiophile in my neighbourhood today, but just because he's curious.

I think in the long run I'll box it back up, buy another deck I can use in my studio and wait for the right Dieter Rams collector to give me the right offer.

Thanks for all the advice!

I think that after being boxed up for that long the deck needs a Florida vacation. ;) By the way, it looks very Revoxish.

You should add a picture of the deck to the Wiki page cited above.

You should add a picture of the deck to the Wiki page cited above.

That's not a bad idea. I'll take a decent one and add it later.

In the meantime there's a local shop that wants to put it in their front window on consignment, as they too believe it should be worth more than $300.

By the way, the documentary "Objectified" has a section about the audio equipment designed for Braun in the 1960s and 1970s. The film was made by the same team that made "Helvetica".

You can rent the movie through the iTunes store for three bucks, I think. You should check it out!

Quick note: I believe the fellow who designed this recorder is named Dieter Rams. He is/was a brilliant designer.

A search on YouTube reveals some of his more brilliant designs.

[video=youtube;<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/r6rDmAbdU9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/r6rDmAbdU9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

Back