Noobie question for mixers/recording drums

gixxer_25

Hello everyone! As you can tell I am totally new to this....1 post, YAY!

I have a 6 piece set that i am currently mic'ing with a Yamaha MG166CX-USB board and Audix mics then trying to record into either garage band or Cubase LE 5. I unfortunately have found out that my mixer will only send over a mixed stereo signal rather than individual channels like I was hoping. I have a couple of buddies out in California that want to work on a project and need me to throw down some tracks for them. I really want to be able to record individual channels from my 10 mics... 4 toms, 1 kick, 2 overheads, 2 on snare, and 1 on hi-hats. Can I still do that with what I have and just figure a way around or do i need to buy a different board? I keep reading posts from 2010 saying that USB cant handle it...is thsi still true or has technology now allowed for this?

Thanks again!

Easy. Tascam US 1800 is my suggestion for low budget and ease. Ignore BS you hear from those who have not used. Everything on my website in my signature line link was done with the the unit. 'note'

USB 1.0 can't handle it. I run 24 tracks via USB 2.0 without flaw. It has been a few years man... Actually, stop reading anything 'those who do not use' or 'those who do not know what they are doing' comments from anyone. Just because someone posted something, does not make it true.

This is what this site is for. Users that will be honest about what works and hopefully how to use it.

Don't listen to everything you read. There are idiots that don't have a clue. They are usually the ones who complain and make false comments.

You are a member of the site that will not lie to you now. Actually, it is not possible for anyone to lie to anyone here, because there are so many who are experienced and caring enough that they will shoot down an idiot just as fast as a spammer.

Welcome gix!

Easy. Tascam US 1800 is my suggestion for low budget and ease. Ignore BS you hear from those who have not used. Everything on my website in my signature line link was done with the the unit. 'note'

USB 1.0 can't handle it. I run 24 tracks via USB 2.0 without flaw. It has been a few years man... Actually, stop reading anything 'those who do not use' or 'those who do not know what they are doing' comments from anyone. Just because someone posted something, does not make it true.

This is what this site is for. Users that will be honest about what works and hopefully how to use it.

Don't listen to everything you read. There are idiots that don't have a clue. They are usually the ones who complain and make false comments.

You are a member of the site that will not lie to you now. Actually, it is not possible for anyone to lie to anyone here, because there are so many who are experienced and caring enough that they will shoot down an idiot just as fast as a spammer.

Welcome gix!

TYTY for the welcome Jimmy...yeah I try to take into acct all the haters and brand-namers... curious though...I need 10 inputs and that Tascam only has 8 xlr's...it also only has 4 outputs...does that mean that my macbook will only get 4 channels input to mix?

TYTY for the welcome Jimmy...yeah I try to take into acct all the haters and brand-namers... curious though...I need 10 inputs and that Tascam only has 8 xlr's...it also only has 4 outputs...does that mean that my macbook will only get 4 channels input to mix?

No man, you can record 10 mic's out of the box with the 1800. Two of the input channels '9/10' are High z/line inputs, but they still run through the same preamps as the other 8 XLR inputs. No, you can't run condenser mics through them, but the preamps are worthy of a dynamic mic. Just XLR to 1/4" adapters or cables.

Oh, and 4 'outputs' only means output from DAW back out to the interface. The inputs are what is directly sent discretely to DAW as individual tracks.

So, US 1800 can send 16 separate individual tracks to any DAW. Four separate outputs to monitors, outboard gear.... That is a common misunderstanding for many.

There is a 'Sticky' in the Newbie forum that discusses the whole interface thing.

Keep in mind, you would need external preamps or a line level source for inputs 11-14. The last two channels are digital (Spdif) input, So you would need a device or preamp that sends a digital signal (it's own AD converter) to this input. ADA DPSII is a cheap example. I really need to get rid of mine if you want to buy it cheap. It worked for me for a time, but I have moved on to other things now.

sweet.... so with the tascam i can run my overheads, kick, toms, hi-hat in w/ xlr...then use my yamaha board w/ it's preamps and use my top/bottom snare mics on that going from the send on each channel of the yamaha to the 1/4" line 9/10 channels?

sweet.... so with the tascam i can run my overheads, kick, toms, hi-hat in w/ xlr...then use my yamaha board w/ it's preamps and use my top/bottom snare mics on that going from the send on each channel of the yamaha to the 1/4" line 9/10 channels?

Sounds like a great start to me. :)

I still can't figure out? Do you think the hum I am getting on my brass track is due to the poop I took in the Tuba? Desperately seeking fusion. : \

I still can't figure out? Do you think the hum I am getting on my brass track is due to the poop I took in the Tuba? Desperately seeking fusion. : \

I think when you add the poop you dropped to the one I dropped, yeah. That could be.

Oh.... and who are you?

I think when you add the poop you dropped to the one I dropped, yeah. That could be.

Oh.... and who are you?

He is a really good friend of mine. Played in a band with him for years. Great guitar player and even better person in general. He is a cat guy tho. Never quite understood that....:spank:

A cat guy?

That explains the tuba pooping.

I've never pooped in a tuba before but I can see where it would help the sound. What about the corn and peanuts? Any problems with jamming the valves?

:D

No man, you can record 10 mic's out of the box with the 1800. Two of the input channels '9/10' are High z/line inputs, but they still run through the same preamps as the other 8 XLR inputs. No, you can't run condenser mics through them, but the preamps are worthy of a dynamic mic. Just XLR to 1/4" adapters or cables.

Woah! I didn't know you could do that. Do you run it at line level? I've been running dynamics through a mixer into the inputs. That makes things a whole lot easier!

Woah! I didn't know you could do that. Do you run it at line level? I've been running dynamics through a mixer into the inputs. That makes things a whole lot easier!

I'm not sure. I never took note of the switch setting and haven't had the unit in a while. It just worked when I plugged in an XLR to 1/4 cable. Worked just fine for ride and HH. I figured those mics were dispensable, and gave it a shot. Strong levels were there and sounded just fine. Surprised Tascam didn't try to sell the unit as a 10 preamp interface, because that is actually what it is. Just unbalanced inputs on 9/10. No biggie.

May save you some added noise by running through another previous gain stage. :)

Plus, you now have two extra input preamps if you run the mixer to line inputs 11/12. :D

My name is Donnie. I have played in projects with Jimmy69 and he has been my Bro from another Ho for many moons so forgive the dry humor. That is what I am best at. He will attest to my newbieness and he will also beat up any body who picks on me and I for him so... You have been warned. : ) jk Yeah I just aquired CuBase recently and have just now begun the daunting task of trying to get a signal internally. Jimmy helped me as usual and I appreciate you helping me with my Tuba turd question. Now I can move on to the glockenspiel with confidence. Nice to meet you DB hope we can exchange breath mints in person some day.

For the record I like dogs too I just cant have one cause I don't have a yard and refuse to confine a good dog to 1800 square feet with my Marshall. Stratocat (Pictured) is already deaf and a huge supporter so he gets the job. That is all.:guitar:

For the record I like dogs too I just cant have one cause I don't have a yard and refuse to confine a good dog to 1800 square feet with my Marshall. Stratocat (Pictured) is already deaf and a huge supporter so he gets the job. That is all.:guitar:

I did not mean to throw you under the bus man. Just not a cat guy myself. You can have whatever you pets you like. Pussy is good too. :)

By the way, we try not to jack/go off topic with others posts around here, but sometimes tuba-poop takes priority. This is such an occurrence where the inevitable happened.

Sorry Gixxer for invading your thread. Hope to hear back from you when you purchase some new gear. I'll be in the tuba waiting. :)

Yeah sorry about that. I am trying to figure this format out as I go and I honestly thought it was Jimmy's thread so please forgive. I will behave myself. :facepalm:

Back