NGD: Seagull S6 Folk Left Handed

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
Don't have a pic handy, and anyway this is a rather plain looking guitar, but let me tell you why I am amped about this one:

About 15 years ago, I found a S6 Folk at a garage sale in uptown New Orleans. Seller was firm at $75, and I "took a chance" on it. Turned out that was about half it's used value at the time. I play lefty, and had to restring it, but I was just blown away by it's balanced tone. About 3 years later I sold it to a friend of my then-girlfriend, and bought a lefty S6 Dreadnaught. The dread was not as pleasing as the folk, and I was immediately disappointed, but the deals were done.

Not long after moving to Atlanta, my then-gf bought me a Martin D-16 (well, to not give her any more credit then she deserves, she bought half of it- I paid for the other half... don't EVEN get me started on her...) and the Seagull saw less and less action- too much like the Martin. I bought another right-handed S6F, intending to properly convert it to lefty- replace bridge and nut- but LaSiDo told me it was asymmetrically braced, so I abandoned that idea.
The Dread got a top refinish, but never really captured my imagination and was sold about a year ago, and was not really missed.

Then I saw this on in Craigslist, for $110. Acted fast and scored it, seller dropped to $100. This model sounds as sweet and balanced as I remembered it, and my horse trading on this "line" works out like this:

S6F bought for $75
S6F sold for $150
S6D lefty bought for $150
s6D refinished for about $15 (plus my labor)
second S6F bought for $150
S6D sold for $200
Greg Bennett D1 lefty bought for $60, sold for $80 (NEVER liked that guitar, very happy to unload that thing)
S6F lefty bought for $100

That means I have a total outlay of $120, and I haven't yet sold the second S6Folk right handed guitar. I'll probably get $150-250 for it, so I will be money and a sweet guitar ahead.

gotta love it.

Congrats, I can appreciate a decent cheap acoustic. You don't have to cry if you scratch it.

I have a very plain Seagull 12 string I bought used, it was probably cheap because it was so plain looking.

Sometimes there's really not much difference in structure between left and right handed guitars, I've done conversions for people and usually don't notice much of a change, especially on the cheaper models. Of course, there's always a first time.

I like most of the LoSiDo guitars I've played, they remind me of older Harmony models, but made a bit better.

I was actually looking at it the other day, and though it might end up being my "the one that comes with me to the old folk's home" guitar. If I can still play as an old geezer, I won't care what I play or who it impresses.

Back