Newer bands

Tim Brown

There have been a whole slew of new younger bands in the last 5 or so years that I really like, and one of them is Avenged Sevenfold. Thier drummer is pretty amazing. I'm not sure if they would be considered "screamo" or not, but I really like their sound - and they are stealing a lot from some of the 80's metal bands, and I love it. :D

So, you younger guys need to turn me on to some of the new bands out there.

I also liked Trivium, and thought their drummer was good as well.

Of all the newer genre's/styles, I tend to like the Lamb of God types of bands these days.

Tim

I'm glad that you love Avenged. I hope you loved them before city of evil though as well. They are an amazing band.

If I had to classify them I would say they are a mixture of metal and hardcore or metal-core.

wx3 said:
I'm glad that you love Avenged. I hope you loved them before city of evil though as well. They are an amazing band.

If I had to classify them I would say they are a mixture of metal and hardcore or metal-core.

Actually, I like the earlier stuff better. The drum sound on City of Evil is a little thin.

Another band I like that's out is As I Lay Dying.

Tim

I love As I Lay Dying. You might want to check out From Autumn To Ashes. They can't get a little too singy for my taste, but their drummer is really good. (He doesn't always show it, but he's awesome). And just f.y.i. he uses a HUGE drums. (I saw him live and was like oh my god that bass drum is bigger than my car).

I've got to plug one of my favorite bands. They're actually a local band and regretfully their drummer doesn't teach drum lessons. If you're into gore metal at all definately check them out.

Their website is http://lustofdecay.com/

Or if you just want to hear an mp3 click this

Their drummer is so awesome that he not only has a drum endorsement, but he also has a shoe deal for god's sake. (And they only live 15 minutes up the road). I really wish I could get in good with theese guys.

Avenged Sevenfold's 'Waking The Fallen' is one of my all time favorite albums. all the songs are just awesome on that album. its the type of album i can listen to over and over again and never get tired of. the drummer is awesome too, very fast but you don't get the sense that he "overplays" any songs, which is good. the singing on Waking The Fallen is good too, but City of Evil is terrible. i heard the singer messed up his vocal chords or somethign and needed surgery, but whatever the case is, on City Of Evil his voice is all nasaly and whiny and sounds stupid. i was severely disappointed with their new album, i just hope they can put out another good album some day in the future. As I Lay Dying kicks ass too.

All these bands kind of remind me of Gardenian, who were a favorite of mine. They were one of the first bands I ever heard who mixed the Deathmetal style screaming with regular vocals...sort of an Iron maiden'ish voice.

ButI loved the style, because it had all the parts of Death Metal I liked, mixed with Regular Power Metal.

Tim

Check out Dream Theatre, not a young band but a damn good band. Drummer is amazing. They all are, cept maybe the singer, lol.

pandamonk said:
Check out Dream Theatre, not a young band but a damn good band. Drummer is amazing. They all are, cept maybe the singer, lol.

i couldnt agree with you more on that one. the singer makes them SO hard to listen to for me. i don't own any of their albums because IMO the singer totally lame-ifies the band. :o :eek: his voice just doesn't go with the music.

check out incubus if you can get past the "hott" lead singer and mainstream appeal of them.. theyre not really new but they're still around and making cds. they may not be completely your style either..but the drummer is quite good...so is the guitar player and bass player. one of the most talented bands out there today i think. listen to songs off of their S.C.I.E.N.C.E cd if you like harder stuff..and check out their odyssey from the halo2 soundtrack..every one of their cds are different and good though.

System of a Down! Probably the elast heaviest band mentioned (after Incubus)... but they atill rock, and Dolmayan is a good drummer. And Opeth is also good. And the band with the chick who screams like a man... forgot the name...

If you want to talk about hot lead singers I have one word "otep". I'm not even sure if that's how you spell the name of that band, but that woman can put most men to shame with her growl.

JazzMasterWil said:
If you want to talk about hot lead singers I have one word "otep". I'm not even sure if that's how you spell the name of that band, but that woman can put most men to shame with her growl.

THATS THE ONE! OTEP! SHES FUCKING AMAZING!

JazzMasterWil said:

For me, Arch Enemy's Singer is the queen of the growlers.

Tim

Back