Newer bands

Grey Angel said:
I really dig mewithoutYou <3

When I saw them their drummer would lick his drumsticks as he played. Kinda weird, but they were still really good.

Nakatira said:
Satyricon

Saw them with Trym from Emperor playing drums, when they toured with Morbid Angel and Suffocation. Rad stuff! :)

Adam P ... i saw you metioned you arent into saetia and think orchid is alot better. ive heard orchid is good but never have been able to find any of their music ... if you could tell me a few good orchid tunes to check out that would be awesome.
thanks

hey Tim, check out this band called The Confession. i was just listening to their CD, and its VERY reminiscent of Avenged Sevenfold's 'Waking The Fallen'. maybe a little too reminiscent. but they sound pretty good, not quite as good song-wise or music-wise as A7X, but still fun to listen to. i like em, and i think you might like em too hehe. as of right now i think they only have an EP out, which is self-titled, but it's definitely work checking out. they do a lot of guitar harmonies a-la-A7X. hard to find info on them, but from what i gather, it seems like they are all in their early 20's or younger, so that qualifies them as new methinks. :D

ok i found their website, take a look: www.theconfessionmusic.com

Last edited:
If you can find anything by a band called The Minor Times.. check it out. They're fantastic. They're from where I'm at. Their live performance is INCREDIBLE. They play in small halls with full stacks and 2600 watts of bass. The drummer plays over that UNMIKED and he's fucking GOOD. They're more on the Botch side of things.

Also check out:
-Botch
-Converge (I suggest Jane Doe and Petitioning the Empty Sky)
-Pig Destroyer (VERY chaotic.)
-Sonata Arctica (Just in case you haven't heard of them. I doubt that.)
-All Else Failed (GREAT band. Jesus. Listen to "Route 1". Then imagine a room filled with 900 kids singing along to the end. It gave me CHILLS. That was at their "last show". They later got back together and put out a fantastic album.)
-Raised Fist
-Fall Silent
-Meshuggah (If you dig polyrhythmic stuff..)

These aren't all "new" bands. They're bands that I enjoy on the heavier end of the spectrum.

Some of these may have been mentioned as I didn't read the whole thread but here are my current favorites.

Soilwork (the drummer on the new album is top)
Scar Symmetry
In Flames
Arch Enemy
and you should definately check out EVERGREY.

You shuold really check out Nocturnal Fear, and Before God, seriously some of the best damn drumming around

Nocturnal Fear is a modern, bullet belt thrash metal band, and Before God is a black/pagan metal band, also Altar is blessed with a way talented drummer, his double bass sounds like a flipping machine gun at like 1200 rounds a minute or something!

thecugga said:
Adam P ... i saw you metioned you arent into saetia and think orchid is alot better. ive heard orchid is good but never have been able to find any of their music ... if you could tell me a few good orchid tunes to check out that would be awesome.
thanks

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this.

You can pick up Orchid's entire discography for under 30 bucks from RevHQ.com. They put out three full lengths and a handful of splits and EP stuff. A couple years ago they combined their first two full lengths onto on CD for release (previously they were only available on vinyl). These records would be Chaos Is Me and Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!. Their third full length, untitled and commonly referred to as "Gatefold", is available on LP and CD. More recently, they put out a second posthumous comp of material, this time of all of their EP and split tracks and ther rarities and titled Totality. The only material I have of this is their split with The Red Scare. They also have splits with Pig Destroyer and Jerome's Dream (both of which are represented on this comp). So, in buying Totality, Chaos/Dance Tonight!, and the gatefold album, you'd have their entire body of work. It's a worthwhile investment, if you ask me (if you're into that style, of course).

As for some good songs, I can't really name any off the top of my head. The first two full lengths and what I've heard of the splits and stuff all have a fairly similar sound. The gatefold record has some mellow departures, but overall is pretty faithful to everything else they did sonically. I love the lyrical content of the gatefold record, as well...a lot of denounces what the scene had become up to that point, convoluted with hipsters and people who'd rather posture themselves than be sincere. I especially like the song "Chaos Ain't Me", which is an obvious pun on their first album's title...it says "Your chaos ain't me, it's a hat that you put on and I wore it for too long, and I hate to break it to you but chaos definitely ain't you, no matter what the shirt says. Buy a book, read up, I'm on every page." The gatefold record also has insights to the lyrics' meaning written in the liner notes...kind of a nice touch.

This is the only mp3 I know of Orchid that is readily available. The song is called "Aesthetic Dialectic" and it's the second song from the Chaos Is Me record. Chances are if you like this song you'll like just about everything they've done.

It appears that someone has also made a Myspace profile for Orchid, but since they broke up several years ago I don't know if its "official" or not.

Sorry for the long, drawn out answer. I hope it answers your questions.

Somebody else mentioned Botch. Botch rules.

Back