new tele pickups

foreverain4

i picked up an affinity squire tele for real cheap. it isnt a bad guitar, but the pups are definately lacking in output. would like some recomendations on some decent pups to retrofit this puppy... has a single coil in the bridge, and lipstick in the neck...

depends on what you want the tele to sound like. a buddy's got a Duncan Vintage Broadcaster in his bridge that sounds 100% chickenpicken country. too ice-picky for me.

i put a duncan Nashville 5/2 in my bridge position and it's definitely tele, definitely country/twangy, but not overly so. i love it.

previously i had a duncan quarter pound tele lead in there and it was nice until it died. i've also used a little 59 stacked humbucker that i didn't like at all.

cheers,
wade

Duncan 5/2 does work well in the bridge, i put an Allparts mini in the neck just to see how it sounds, here's an Allparts mini clip......recorded direct......eq flat.

It will rock with the rest of em too, depends what sound you are looking for.
Vikki(uk)

check out www.guitarfetish.com for some cheap deals. they have a real good deal on the blade humbucker style pickups if you're into that barden-type sound. they also make a pretty cool pickup set that uses p-bass pole peices to attempt a more punchy sound.

Vikki said:
Duncan 5/2 does work well in the bridge, i put an Allparts mini in the neck just to see how it sounds, here's an Allparts mini clip......recorded direct......eq flat.

It will rock with the rest of em too, depends what sound you are looking for.
Vikki(uk)

i just have to say that that is some beautiful playing. it deserved the double post.

Joe Barden makes killer Tele pickups, in the Danny Gatton style.

I've also been very pleased lately with the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage and Virtual Hot Tele pickups. Very nice.

If you want vintage, and don't mind the noise, Lindy Fralin is the way to go.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

If it plays as good as the Affinity's I've played I would bite the bullet and purchase a pair of Bill Lawrence tele pickups for it. Not really that expensive but about as good as your goning to find. These babie's are super quiet as well.
Remember to get them from the right place or they will be fakes.

http://www.billlawrence.com/index.html

I've got an affinity that I picked up real cheap as well. I re-routed the neck position for a DH-1, and used an american standard at the bridge. The original stuff is pretty poor including the pots, and switch. I replaced everything. I used a 1 meg tone pot, 500k volume, decent switch, and a good quality .022 capacitor. The neck is a little thin for my taste, but other than that it's an outstanding guitar now. Especially when you consider the the investment. Affinitys are a great platform for modding.

yeah, cheap-o's are great for modding and learning how to setup necks, de-gut and rebuild..cool.

depending on the player (and their finances),
I also find the cheap guitars are played more around my place. I had a Squire 15yrs or so it must of had a million hours on it, was loaned to friends, was taken on road trips yadayada,

a mint US STrat I had following it was so nice and valuable, i handled it with care and it was frequently hanging and polished and locked in a closet, the kids were not to even think about it..hahaha.
it was like a collectible, or had that "crystal glass" thing too...it was a gorgeous work of art and the best playing G I ever had, imo, a perfect guitar.

In agreement on the cheap G,
I just grabbed a $100 G and it's everywhere, the kids play it, i play it....probably already has more hours on it already than the pristine one.
a good groove is had by all. there's something to this.

looking at the real relics of the pro's, like Beck and EC etc...
many of the old pro's played the old Strats, and I doubt they were looking at the 1961 Strats or whatever year, like it was a $40,000 retirement investments to be kept in a safe, I assume.
geez! some of them are beaten to hell!

the Affinity I played felt really nice too. I guess its the setup for the initial feel. I played $1300 Tele side by side and prefered the Affinity (as far as setup of the neck etc..) it's all personal taste.

but you can't hardly complain for the money spent.

I wonder, had they been available if the old pro's like Hendrix and EC would have played these early on? being broke.

But the cheap guitars my brother and I remember, were real dogs and came with stickers on them saying "guarenteed not to split"!! :eek:

sounds like you got a good one!

Last edited:
surfmaster said:
check out www.guitarfetish.com for some cheap deals. they have a real good deal on the blade humbucker style pickups if you're into that barden-type sound. they also make a pretty cool pickup set that uses p-bass pole peices to attempt a more punchy sound.

I've ended up trying few of their pickups, all work very well. Since you got the guitar "cheap," there's no reason to throw around $70-120 per pickup. If you don't want to go the blade/humbucker direction, the Fatbody set I have is pretty robust, with a beefier tone than the typical Tele, while retaining some spank.

Back