New Snare, Tama Starclassic G Maple (pics & recording)

Is that a 57 ?? may i please ask your setup ?? Pre-amps ?? was it recorded flat ?? what's your overheads?? cause it sounds really nice :D

fweyd said:
Is that a 57 ?? may i please ask your setup ?? Pre-amps ?? was it recorded flat ?? what's your overheads?? cause it sounds really nice :D

I agree , the whole kit sounds great !!!

Nice looking/sounding snare man , congrates and enjoy !! :)

DuoToneBand said:
everything sounds really processed

Sure does!! ...like I said, sounds really good!

What is your signal chain and other mics? Is that the room I hear or a verb unit?

PhilGood said:
Sure does!! ...like I said, sounds really good!

What is your signal chain and other mics? Is that the room I hear or a verb unit?

processed dosnt mean good. Everything sounds un-natural, and the snare has an awkward amount of low-end boost. I know what this drum sounds like unmiked, and its not like that recording!

I'd be very intrested to know exactly what youve done to the snare.

I've tried this snare out and never had it sounding like that?

Whats your chain? and anything plug-ins etc?

But otherwise - lovly snare mate, looks stunning and i know they sound GREAT!

Nice man, you're recording sounds awesome. Little too much verb for my taste though. Cool snare, I have the 14x5 version and it doesn't sound that good.

I'm digging the drum sound overall. How did you get such a dry punchy sound? Is your room well deadened? A lot of compression?
Either way it sounds pretty polished and good to my ears, but the snare is a little heavy in the lows.

DuoToneBand said:
processed dosnt mean good. Everything sounds un-natural, and the snare has an awkward amount of low-end boost. I know what this drum sounds like unmiked, and its not like that recording!

That is your personal opinion and you shouldn't expect everyone else, or anyone else for that matter, to agree with you. There have been TONS of recordings where the snare is processed. That's part of the creative process of the producer and the artist. If an artist chooses to use an electric snare for a recording, should it sound like a "natural" electric snare?

You can do whatever you want with the sound and have it sound "good" to your ears!! Telling someone that their recording sounds bad because it's processed is narrow-minded bullshit! Let your ears and opinions grow a little and don't stay in such a narrow view of sound!

Try telling a guitarist his recording sounds like crap because he's using distortion, chorus, delay or reverb and it doesn't sound like a natural guitar and watch him punch you in the chest!

I like it...I don't care if it's processed or not...I just wanna know what he did to get it to sound like that.

Come on...give it up :)

I'm gonna venture that there's not too much processing going on, but some. The drum is 8" deep, which is why it has that nice fat low end. The drum is obviously miced only from the top with a 57, but we don't know what the overheads are (yet). There is probably a hint of reverb and I suspect some compression, maybe 1.5:1. The heads are tuned fairly tight.

That's my guess...

He uses KSM44's or something for overheads. He posted pics of his whole kit and a demo of his recordings awhile back, then did it again when he improved his kit. His recordings sound really good, his drumset is in a corner with a rug behind it, looks nice and sounds nice.

Sorry for the slow reply, my birthday was yesterday so I didn't have time to get online.

Overheads: KSM44 (panned hard left and right)
Kick : D112 (center)
Snare: SM57 (center)
Toms: SM57 (panned left to right)

The snare's tuning is pretty tight. About 2.5 turns on the bottom head and 1.08 on the top (not to get too specific :p ). Only the top head is mic'd, aimed at the center of the drum.

I'm using a noise gate on the snare, kick, and toms. There's a pinch of reverb on the overheads and a little more on the snare. There is some low end boost on the snare, but I've brought it down since that recording. I ran the snare through a master limiter which helps to bring out more "crack." Since that recording I've turned up the overheads some to give the drums a more natural sound.

I hope that helps some. I'll try and post a new drum take to let you guys listen to some of the recent improvements.

EDIT: I'm not using any dampening on the snare.

Back