New Snare, Tama Starclassic G Maple (pics & recording)

JonathanRay said:
There is some low end boost on the snare, but I've brought it down since that recording. I ran the snare through a master limiter which helps to bring out more "crack." Since that recording I've turned up the overheads some to give the drums a more natural sound.

I think I liked it better with a little of the low end boost. It sounded fatter and probably wouldn't get drowned in a full mix. Otherwise all you'd hear is *crack*.

That's just me though.

Personally I liked the first recording better .

Not that the second doesn't sound good I just like the sound you had going in the first one more . Of course I've been using a piccolo as my main snare for the past few months so your cannon snare sounds great to me !! :D

I think both snares are ok, it all depends on the kind of music you´re doing. The starclassic has more low end and it´ll stand when you add other instruments.
What really amazed me was the sound you´ve got, :eek: I envy you man!!! :D

Hey Jonathan,great setup I have the onyx 1620 also. I was wondering if you've had any problems with the onyx firwire setup? What kind of a computer do you have and are you running windows on your computer? If so are you using service pack1 or 2? Great sound by the way!! Nice mics too. :D

Thanks. I don't have any problems with the 1620. I'm using a PC with 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 2 GB RAM, and Service Pack 2.

sounding good....gotta love tama

I really think the drums sounds good. Too much verb for my preference, but as somebody posted before it's all in the artists ear. I like my snare in your face and up front in the mix....not overbearing though with a touch of ambient verb. Great drum though...there's a pic of mine on the Iron cobra thread. Check it out

Another question for you. Did you have to get the microsoft KB885222 patch for the firewire? I've heard the service pack 2 conflicts with the firewire if you do not get this patch. Thanks again for the info, I can't wait to get my firewire card and get this thing up and recording!! :D

Back