new pups where did I go wrong?

jasgav

I’m replacing the stock Ibanez pick ups in my 7 string with Dimarzio blades. The guitar also has a 3 way switch. I wired the neck pup in a series and the bridge in parallel. When I put the strings back on and with the switch in the center position the guitar sounds great no hum, clean, way better than the Ibanez stock pups. Move the switch in the neck only position and nothing but hum, same when you move the switch into the bridge only position nothing but hum. When I was removing the stock pup it looked like they had the first two prongs bridged and last two prongs bridged so I did it when I put the blades in. I can’t remember what I was thinking when I wired one series wiring and the other in parallel (does this even have anything to do with the problem?)
What do I try next?

Well it's a good thing you drew a diagram or took a few pictures before you took out the old p/u's.

Post 'em and we'll try to get this figured out.

At a guess, it might have something to do with the fact that Dimarzio reverses the black and red wires on their pickups.

Might help, might not, but without more information, that's as best I can think of.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

the stock pups only had a white wire leading to the switch and bare (ground). The grounds where twisted together and soddered to the bottum of the volume pot. I pretty much did the same thing except followed the Dimarzio instructions on how to connect the extra wires.

HERE is what it should look like. If you want the humbuckers normal (i.e., the coils in series), you need to solder together (on a Dimarzio) the white and black wires, and the red wires are the hot from the pickup. The green wires and the bare shield wires go to ground. It will look a lot like THIS, but you will need to swap the black and red wires and do the switch translation ala the first link.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Should every guitarist know how to install a pickup? Is this about as rudimentary as changing our strings?

I don't know how to do it, wish I did.

Spin Doctor said:
Should every guitarist know how to install a pickup? Is this about as rudimentary as changing our strings?

I don't know how to do it, wish I did.

No, there is no need to know how to change pickups. If you like to do some work yourself, this IS one of those things I think is easily to learn for just about anyone. All you have to do is learn how to solder, and how to read a diagram. If you want to get into custom switching setups (one of my favorite things to do, silly as that may sound), then you are talking about some (occasionally) complex logic problems, but for most setups you can find a good diagram.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I see the "LIGHT" and I think I know where my mistake is. I won't be able to try to fix it until tomorrow. I think I soldering the two wires together and taping them off, I twisted them in with the switch wire. I still don't understand why the middle selector sounds great. I would think that none of them would work.
thanks guys

Back