New Demo - Bittersweet

brummygit

Hello again all

Whilst I was messing around with different sounds, effects, etc and generally messing about, a few ideas came out that turned into a song which I think is pretty much almost useable as one of my final tracks for a CD I'm doing. I've done a rough mix but i was hoping to get a few thoughts on how it sounds to you now, as I don't usually have as much going on.

Here it is: Bittersweet.mp3

i also did a few more things for another mix. subtle changes, but mostly the EQ on the vocal and the heavy guitars. any thoughts on my efforts?
Bittersweet - EQ Changes

by pure accident, i came up with a few things to do with the acoustic guitar that i'm happy with, but any thoughts on that as well as the general sound/song/mix/tones, etc, please feel free to let me know.
i'm already aware that there are a few timing issues on some of the vocals and acoustic guitar, and tuning issues on the solo guitar but i'm already working on it as we speak!

Cheers!

Mark

Last edited:
* 45 views, an additional post on a spam thread in this forum, and no opinions? *

Last edited:
Hi Mark - you don't sing like a Brummy !! I wish I had your voice on my recordings.

I'm not qualified to give opinions on the mix quality because I'm very new to this, but it's a cool song. Was expecting you to sing "When I find myself in times of trouble...." after the first few chords.

Think there's a bit of a dodgy chord early on (about 20 secs in from memory).

Overall I really liked it. Loved the clarity of your voice. What mic do you use ?Being new to this I've just bought a SP B1, but I haven't used it yet. Cheap I know, but might help my warbling.

Good stuff.

lasagne said:
Hi Mark - you don't sing like a Brummy !! I wish I had your voice on my recordings.
lol i think singing like a brummy could possibly spoil it :)

lasagne said:
Think there's a bit of a dodgy chord early on (about 20 secs in from memory).
yeah that was me missing the strings and not correcting it afterwards

lasagne said:
Overall I really liked it. Loved the clarity of your voice. What mic do you use ?Being new to this I've just bought a SP B1, but I haven't used it yet. Cheap I know, but might help my warbling.
thanks for the kind comments. i'm kinda getting more and more used to my voice, tho i'm restricted in that i can't sing just about anything comfortable. i'm using a Rode NT1. i bought it about 3 years ago for about £150 and seriously, i use it for everything, including vocals, acoustic guitar, and (on the odd occasion i'll mic up the amp) my electric guitar. it's really versatile and clear as hell. i admit i use alot of compression on my vocal (about 18:1 ratio) as it just seems to keep things in order when i go from quieter to louder vocal parts.

glad you like. thanks for your comments!

Cheers

Mark

Nice voice dude. I like the progression of the tune. Very straight forward buildup. Sounds good. I don't hear anything that sounds bad, but maybe bring teh acoustic up a little. Might not work, but it sounds good, so maybe try that. Wee if it fits, or not. I think the level of teh distorted guitar sounds good. You hear it clearly, but it doesn't step on the vocals.
Nice tune, man.
Ed

Dogman said:
I think the level of teh distorted guitar sounds good. You hear it clearly, but it doesn't step on the vocals.

it's weird, because i tried not to be as stubborn as i normally am when i did a mix of this song. listening to the distorted guitars on their own, with the EQ carving it out like nobodys business, sounds rough as arseholes. but once everything else is piled ontop, like the vocals and the acoustic, it sounds ok and the vocals don't necessarily get bogged down or crowded...

i have learnt my lesson!

thanks for your kind comments, Ed!

Cheers

Back