My website........again......

wjgypsy

First of all, let me say that i do NOT want this thread to turn into another bomb. now, the only pages i've done so far is the home page, new, and about page. Let me know what you think of my design and where it's going. I designed a logo too. The resoin i have not got the other pages done yet is because i finally got a job recording some tracks for a guy down in New Zealand. Any way, tell me what you think.

www.phatmanstudios.netfirms.com

Thanks,

Zeke

A few observations:

Are you ready to take the next step?
Obviously they are, or they wouldn't be contacting a studio.

Phatman Studios is an affordible, 16-track digital recording studio that is devoted to taking your music to the
next level.

ummm.... OK.
You misspelled "affordable".

We have trained engineers that will guide you through the session, step by step, to asure that you are completely satisfied. Phatman Studios also offers affordible cd and tape work done by our partner company, Diskmakers(c)
What trained engineers? Where did they get their training from?
Perhaps a less liable approach would be to say "experienced engineers". And nobody can assure "complete satisfaction".
You misspelled "affordable" again.

Sence 2000, Phatman Studios has been helping the modern musican take his/her's music to the next level by serving them with the best quality we have to offer.
You misspelled "Since."
You misused the contraction "her's".
"...the best quality we have to offer." Sounds.... cheap. Perhaps rephrase that to read: "... by serving our clientiel with high quality digital recording services...." Or something to that effect.

Weither your a soloest or a full peice band, Phatman Studios can put together a package that's right for you and will serve you to the maximum.
You misspelled "Whether"
You misspelled "soloist"
You misspelled "piece"
The phrase: ".... and will serve you to the maximum..." is inane - senseless. What are you going to serve them to the minimum???
Of course not. The idea that someone will get good or great service is expected, and understood. Delete that phrase entirely.

How? First we take the time to talk with you and get to know you. this will help us decide what will work best for you. Then we listen to the material that you wish to record to get an idea of how the production will work and turn out.
"This" should be capatilized.

Then, it's time role.
??? :confused:

Our studio will allow 3 ways to record.
Only 3 ways? So, there's only 3 ways to record a project?

The first is recording the basic tracks (Vocal, Bass and Drummer) at the same time. Then, after we lay-down the basic tracks, we overdubb the rest of the backing tracks (guitars, backing vocals, keybords,ect). The second way is to let the whole band play at once while recording, and then overdubb each track own it's own. The third way is to record all of the parts one by one. (this is most suited for soloest).
You misspelled "soloist".
All of this is... OK, I guess, but to me its all something thats better said in a one-on-one conference/consultation with the client. Not something you really want on a web-site.

So, is Phatman Studios right for you? Well, that's up to you. All we can do is promise you satisfaction. Or you pay nothing!
I'd be cautious saying that. Some people are never satisfied, and you could end up working for next to nothing to try and please them.

We're now mixing in 5.1 surround sound!
That's probably OK, if your targeting indie film makers to do composition for film; otherwise, who cares?

Phatman Studios is Not a professional recording studio.
Then why on earth would I come to you?

However, we do offer you the best quality we have to give!
I'd loose that one!

There's more, but I'll let you digest that.

Zeke - Don't take this as a slam but you really, really need to use a spell checker. A quick check with MS Word showed a lot of spelling errors. Below is what I came up with.

Are you ready to take the next step?
Phatman Studios is an affordable, 16-track digital recording studio devoted to taking your music to thenext level. We have trained engineers who will guide you through the session, step by step, to assure you are completely satisfied. Phatman Studios also offers affordable CD and tape duplication by our partner company, Diskmakers(c).

Since 2000, Phatman Studios has been helping the modern musician take his or her music to the next level by providing quality services. Whether you’re a soloist or a full band, Phatman Studios can put together a package that's right for you.

How? First we take the time to talk with you and get to know you. This will help us decide what will work best for you. Then we listen to the material you wish to record to get an idea of how the production will flow and the desired end result. Now it’s time to roll. Our studio provides 3 different ways to record. Option one is recording the basic tracks (vocal, bass and drummer) at the same time. Then, after we lay down the basic tracks, we overdub the rest of the backing tracks (guitars, backing vocals, keybords, etc). Option two is to have the whole band play at once while recording and then overdub each track separately. Option three is to record all of the tracks separately, one by one. This option is most suited for soloist.

So, is Phatman Studios right for you? Well, that's up to you. All we can do is promise you satisfaction.
Or you pay nothing!

We're now mixing in 5.1 surround sound!

Phatman Studios is Not a professional recording studio. However, we do offer you the best quality we have to give!

Zeke - Take that last statement out! Never, ever put a negative statement in your advertisement. I only had time to go over this one page. Oh yeah, get rid of the ENTER page. No one likes to click again to get to the homepage. Also, I don't think I would have a picture of guitars laying on the floor. Borrow some stands or something but not on the floor. Guitar players have a fit when they see one on the floor. Has a negative effect rather than positive. Just my 2 cents.

DD

Looked at this page --> http://www.phatmanstudios.netfirms.com/Phatman_studios.html

A few things struck me:

1) "We have trained engineers that will guide you through the session..." - huh?

2) Holy spell-checker, Batman! You need to get your dictionary out on these words:

affordible
asure
affordible
Sence
Weither
soloest
peice
overdubb

3) What's the purpose of this line: "Phatman Studios is Not a professional recording studio. However, we do offer you the best quality we have to give!"

4) And this:
"We're now mixing in 5.1 surround sound!" - highly doubtful - first-off, I didn't see your listening area set-up for surround, and secondly, you need more than 2 speakers to mix surround........

I have a 6 speaker surround system in another part of the house and i have acid 4.0 which lets you mix in 5.1 surround. I've done it before and i know how to work it.

Thanks every body, i don't have a spell checker, so i'll use the words that you guys came up with. It's late right now, so i'll try to get it tomorrow.

i'm in no rush though......i've already got a lot of jobs coming up in the few weeks like mixing a cd and recording some drum tracks.

Peace

Zeke

Couple quick things Zeke my man.

1: You aren't an engineer trained or otherwise. You are a home recording enthusiast or hobbiest. Zeke, I'm not an engineer either but I understand your desire to have a professional appearance but I think you might be going a bit far here.

2: You do not mix surround. Surround mix rooms are at least tens of thousands but usually hundreds of thousands even millions of dollars and include A nice set of balanced 5.1 monitors and a surround panning console not to mention ideal room conditions for monitoring.

I'm not saying this to be mean, I just think you may have an unrealistic idea of what you are doing. I wouldn't want to see the client's face who came to you to mix surround with his session files when he sees the altec lansing computer theater steup in your mom's room.

For what youi are charging I think you can afford to appear a bit more amatuer.

Oh and get those guitars off the floor man.

Good luck.

getting there.........

these are my thoughts.

"All we can do is promise you satisfaction. Or you pay nothing!"

I still don't agree with this line. What if i record there, like it , take the cd , and then say i wasnt satisfied - do i have to pay?? how will you police this?

also, still a few spelling/grammar mistakes.

eg. role ?

hang on...
"2003 Phatman Studios. Zeke Sayer is the owner/Engineer or Phatboy studios in Lavonia, Georgia "

is it PHATMAN or PHATBOY?

affordable is still wrong in places
etc.

and i agree with guitars off the floor

y

Michael Jones said:
A few observations:

However, we do offer you the best quality we have to give!
I'd loose that one!

There's more, but I'll let you digest that.

Hey Michael! You mis-spelled "loose"! I'm guessing you meant to say, "I'd lose that one!"

Dingo ;)

yiordanaki said:
"All we can do is promise you satisfaction. Or you pay nothing!"

I still don't agree with this line. What if i record there, like it , take the cd , and then say i wasnt satisfied - do i have to pay?? how will you police this?

also, still a few spelling/grammar mistakes.

Nobody seems to understand that. If the customer is not satisfied, they pay nothing *BUT* They don't get the cd or anything.

Hey Jake,

I don't mean to argue with you but, i DO have SR mixing. I've done it before. I got a Durabrand Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound reciever with 6 monitors including a subwoofer and i mix in Acid 4.0 which has SR mixing features. See for your self: www.acidplanet.com I'm working on getting it all into my control room.

And ther'er flat resp.

Zeke

Hey Zeke,

I like the three pictures on top of each other much better than any thing previous. I am not a guitar player so I would not have picked out the guitar on the floor thing. I kept looking at the fatman thinking he reminds me of something and then I realised he is the same colors as the incredible hulk. Was that intentional? Fun none the less.

This one...?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1957502&sourceid=33079293323409110724

This is home theatre system, BIG difference.

Are you kidding me? This is so far from a surround mixing system I don't even know where to begin. There IS nowhere to begin...it's a joke. And man, just because your software can do it doesn't mean your studio is setup for it...in fact I KNOW it's not.

Here is an exapmle of a semi-pro surround mixing system (hardware only)

http://www.aspen-media.com/51.htm

Here are some of the industry standard specs you will need to know to get into surround mixing.

http://www.dolby.com/tech/trrecord.html

If it could be done at home with a $100 walmart sound system and some software then why would they come to you at all? Please say for your experience, I haven't had a good laugh today.

Look jake, I'm not saying that your wrong, but even if it is just a home system, It Does do surround sound, maybe not the best, but it works. What's the diffurence in the home and pro set ups? (beside prices)

ZEKE SAYER said:
Look jake, I'm not saying that your wrong, but even if it is just a home system, It Does do surround sound, maybe not the best, but it works. What's the diffurence in the home and pro set ups? (beside prices)
Where do I start? What's the difference between some cheap computer speakers and $9,000 dollar studio monitors? Do you really think it's just a price difference?
Geez man, you need to do some..no alot of research before you go advertising surround mixing in your studio Zeke.

You advertising surround mixing just because you can play surround material is the exact same thing as me advertising mastering services because I have two speakers and T-racks.

It's a big load of BS man.

I think it's great that you are interested in surround mixing and the system you have now is probably just the thing to get you started with that, but it's not at the level of offering your services by a longshot. You have a ton to learn and I am not the guy to teach it to you.

Your problem is one of definition. You can say that you are learning to mix surround or are training to be an engineer but you are not there. Engineers know the math behind things like the Haas effect and the Doppler effect and know the length of a 40hz wave or how to asses capacitive coupling and remedy ground loops by wiring a star ground into a studio.

Jake's absolutely right.... and myself & others alluded to it earlier -- you are definitely NOT equipped to advertise yourself as a 5.1 surround facility in any way, shape, or form...

Blue Bear Sound said:
you are definitely NOT equipped to advertise yourself as a 5.1 surround facility in any way, shape, or form...

seems like he has a longer client list than yours however. ....and he at least moved out of his basement!!

bear...you're a piece of work, aren't you??!! :p

Zeke...keep up the hard work.... those man-tits will be gone in no time with the effort you're showing.. :D

I do 2nd the spell check however.. Can you get someone to help you proof read it...? Seems like Digital Don did a good job for you just now. :)

Jake...I can't "yell" at you... You've got a nice old Tascam!! Some things are just sacred!;)

mixmkr said:
....and he at least moved out of his basement!!
hmmm.... prosumer gear in an untreated trailer (no offense, Zeke - just illustrative!) vs. a properly-designed, professional, residential facility..... your call.... :eek: :rolleyes:

mixmkr said:
bear...you're a piece of work, aren't you??!!
At least you got THAT part right......!

Last edited:
Blue Bear Sound said:
hmmm.... prosumer gear in an untreated trailer (no offense, Zeke - just illustrative!) vs. a properly-designed, professional, residential facility..... your call.... :eek:

Hey man, so what if your studio is better than myne, so what? I really don't give a shit. All i know is i got some jobs coming up so i must be doing something right.

And jake, i would not dare compare those monitors to computer speakers! But even if my set up is not as great or as much as yours, if the system says "5.1 surround sound decoding" and the software says "5.1 Mixing" and when you play it through the SR monitors, it goes around and around the room, i would call that surround sound. wouln't you?

ZEKE SAYER said:
Hey man, so what if your studio is better than myne, so what? I really don't give a shit.
Me neither... but apparently mixmkr does for some bizarre reason.... :rolleyes:

And my comments weren't directed at you at all, anyways....

Originally posted by ZEKE SAYER But even if my set up is not as great or as much as yours, if the system says "5.1 surround sound decoding" and the software says "5.1 Mixing" and when you play it through the SR monitors, it goes around and around the room, i would call that surround sound. wouln't you?
No.... 5.1 Surround imposes some strict technical requirements that your set-up simply does not meet, so it isn't correct to call your facility equipped for 5.1 Surround mixing.

Back