My Second Mix, More metal

I didn't like the sound of the bass (or maybe it was just too loud) until the :55 second mark... at least I think that's a bass that starts in at :55, or a bass + guitar, or something.

That drum and cymbal sound... It sounds really fake, but I don't think it sounds necessarily bad.

After 2 minutes of it I'm changing my mind. I don't care for the drum sound.

I like the sound of the guitar and bass combo from the beginning until :27, when that one bass note just jumps out too much.

I think its the plug in I used on the mix. I tried it on a few other songs and noticed it really squashed it and almost killed the left channel guitars for some reason

I love big metal sound but it does sound like everything is dead center which gives a hollow sound lacking any ummmphh. Give it some stereo space and open'er up.

What plug-in?

Heavy metal is usually really compressed anyhow.
I don't understand why this is in mono though.

It's possible he's used a mono version of a compressor plugin on the master mix. If he used The Tokyo Labs feedback Compressor II, for instance, they have four versions - the Mono 32-bit, the stereo 32-bit, the mono 64-bit and the stereo 64 bit. If you use the mono version on the master bus it will cause the whole mix to output in mono. Worth checking. :)

Last edited:
It's possible he's used a mono version of a compressor plugin on the master mix. If he used The Tokyo Labs feedback Compressor II, for instance, they have four versions - the Mono 32-bit, the stereo 32-bit, the mono 64-bit and the stereo 64 bit. If you use the mono version on the master bus it will cause the whole mix to output in mono. Worth checking. :)

TIL

OP, never sacrifice your stereo image for anything else! If an entire channel suddenly "disappears", go back on it ;)

Yeah, somethin is wrong with this mix. Surely the mono mix was not intentional.

I am curious how that was not noticed. Maybe Soundcloud messed it up?

I agree that this track would get a lot of its help from some stereo width... It just sounds all centered and muffled. Leave bass centered as well as vocals.

Bass - Sounds too punchy, needs more bottom end in my opinion, in your eq for the bass bring down the 1k range some and see what that does for you - as well as boost some around 90hz.

Guitar - Do you have a high pass filter on your guitars because it doesn't sound like you do... I think that would highly benefit your guitar sound, I would cut at either 100hz or even up to 150hz on your guitars. You can still get that "bassy" metal sound by cutting those frequencies - and it will actually help you achieve it more so if you do in my opinion.

Biggest thing is get some stereo width in my opinion.

The guitar sounds really far away. And the bass, toms, and kick are joining forces on some of the same frequencies and making a lot of the parts kind of muddy. I like the vocals. They sound pretty well treated for the style. But, all in all, the drums sound a bit too loud compared to everything else. Find the dominant low end frequency in your kick and toms and cut those frequencies by -3 db at 1Q on your bass track and see how that works. Also, just bring up the guitars, which have a good tone for the song, so they don't sound so far away. You may also need to bring up the vocals because of that but that's not a bad thing. :thumbs up:

Yeah it's a bit thin sounding. Sounds mono or something. Although it sounds like a good performance, doesn't have much power to it. Dig the barney greenway style vocals.

I'll try to dig back into this tomorrow and repost it. I can assure you it wasnt suppose to be in mono. Guitars and over heads were panned hard L and R. kick, snare, bass and vocals up the middle and the rest of the kit was panned out. I always start my mixes by setting HPF on each track, then pan them. I mix my Kick, snare and bass first. Then I add vocals and drop the guitars in last. Once that is done I will go back and try EQ, compression and what ever else I think may work. Ive been working on mixing my bands EP so playing with these other tracks have taking a back seat.

Last edited:
The new guitar that comes in at about the one minute mark could be a tad brighter. High shelf?

I dont believe I high shlelved I usually will high shelve rhythym guitars but leave anything playing leads.

Back