My New Drums are Better Than Greg's! :D

Extremely nice drums! Nice set up for the most part.

Personally, though, I wouldn't be seen dead behind a drum rack. Rack's are kind of passe! Stands are always cooler and more versatile.

Other than that (and maybe the roto toms) the kit rocks!

How do you have that kick muffled?

right now i just have a small folded blanket laying on the bottom of the shell, but i'll probably have to dampen it a bit more. i can't say for sure until i get a hole cut in the batter head and put my mic in that--right now the kick sound isn't clicky enough--but deep and chesty aplenty!!!

Hey Dross...is this the first time, you have used a rack? What is you like about them? Do they hinder your set-up in any way?

yes, this is my first time with a rack. with a kit this big, it is a bit of a hinderance as far as where i can place everything (philgood is right about stands being more versatile). but i'm making it work as i get more accustomed to it (i'll probably end up getting better mounting hardware in time). what i love about the rack is that it just looks cleaner. i'm kind of an organization freak, and all those stands would have just made me crazy.

right now i just have a small folded blanket laying on the bottom of the shell, but i'll probably have to dampen it a bit more. i can't say for sure until i get a hole cut in the batter head and put my mic in that--right now the kick sound isn't clicky enough--but deep and chesty aplenty!!!

That's how mine was. It boomed like a mofo, but not enough "punch". I put a thin, worn-out pillow that I stole from my dogs inside the kick so it just touches each head. Now it's got a nice deep punch.

That's how mine was. It boomed like a mofo, but not enough "punch". I put a thin, worn-out pillow that I stole from my dogs inside the kick so it just touches each head. Now it's got a nice deep punch.

excellent, thanks for the tip. it's a pain in the ass to experiment a whole lot with these things, since it means removing the head, putting it back on, and tuning it all over again every time. i'll definitely try your trick next.

excellent, thanks for the tip. it's a pain in the ass to experiment a whole lot with these things, since it means removing the head, putting it back on, and tuning it all over again every time. i'll definitely try your trick next.

You may want to vent your front head. I bought a 4" chrome vent ring kit from GC (10 bucks) on mine. Looks real nice and the hole is small enough that the reso head can still do it's job while a mic fits right in. You can also kinda reach in there and move the pillow around to get the best sound. I tried the pillow up against the batter only, the resonant only, and found that it sounded best in the room - and mic'd up - with it touching both heads just slightly. It also makes it easier to try different tunings with the pillow in different spots without having to take everything apart each time you wanna move the pillow.

You may want to vent your front head. I bought a 4" chrome vent ring kit from GC (10 bucks) on mine. Looks real nice and the hole is small enough that the reso head can still do it's job while a mic fits right in. You can also kinda reach in there and move the pillow around to get the best sound. I tried the pillow up against the batter only, the resonant only, and found that it sounded best in the room - and mic'd up - with it touching both heads just slightly. It also makes it easier to try different tunings with the pillow in different spots without having to take everything apart each time you wanna move the pillow.

yeah, i fully intend to put a hole in mine for mic access anyway. how did you go about cutting yours? someone told me to heat the rim of a coffee can with a propane torch and just set it right on the head, but this sounds like a pretty cockamamie scheme to me. does the kit come with something to cut with?

yeah, i fully intend to put a hole in mine for mic access anyway. how did you go about cutting yours? someone told me to heat the rim of a coffee can with a propane torch and just set it right on the head, but this sounds like a pretty cockamamie scheme to me. does the kit come with something to cut with?

No, you'll need a razor blade or precision knife. The little ring kit I bought is 2 pieces. Theres the ring itself which has a small flange that fits into the hole, and theres another flat ring that slips over the flange portion from behind to reinforce the ring and sandwich the head between the 2 pieces. Both ring pieces have adhesive that stick to the head. I just laid the head on its face, and traced the flange portion of the outer ring onto the inside of the head about 6 inches in from the edge. Then I slowly cut the hole with an X-acto knife. The outer ring slipped right in and stuck in place with the adhesive. Then I snapped the inner reinforcing ring into place and that was it. The whole process took maybe 10 minutes and looks pro. The kit was like 10 bucks. Leave the torch in the garage and the coffee can in the pantry. This was too easy and cheap to not try it. :)

Heres a pic

drums11.jpg

you totally need a 2nd kick drum to fill that set out to make it look intimidating!

nah, i had two kicks on my first set (an ugly conglomeration of a 60s gretsch 4-pc and a cheapo mx-80 4-pc or some such crap--i got both kits for $250 when i was 16), and since i switched to a dw5000 double pedal when i got my pearls, i'll never look back. although i must say my new iron cobra seems far superior to the dw, even though most people tell me i'm crazy...

besides, i'd have to pay an extra $742 for the 2nd one!!!

No, you'll need a razor blade or precision knife. The little ring kit I bought is 2 pieces. Theres the ring itself which has a small flange that fits into the hole, and theres another flat ring that slips over the flange portion from behind to reinforce the ring and sandwich the head between the 2 pieces. Both ring pieces have adhesive that stick to the head. I just laid the head on its face, and traced the flange portion of the outer ring onto the inside of the head about 6 inches in from the edge. Then I slowly cut the hole with an X-acto knife. The outer ring slipped right in and stuck in place with the adhesive. Then I snapped the inner reinforcing ring into place and that was it. The whole process took maybe 10 minutes and looks pro. The kit was like 10 bucks. Leave the torch in the garage and the coffee can in the pantry. This was too easy and cheap to not try it. :)

you're right, it does look pro. i've seen these kits at gc but never really looked into 'em. i'll be getting one of those this weekend. thanks again!

nah, i had two kicks on my first set (an ugly conglomeration of a 60s gretsch 4-pc and a cheapo mx-80 4-pc or some such crap--i got both kits for $250 when i was 16), and since i switched to a dw5000 double pedal when i got my pearls, i'll never look back. although i must say my new iron cobra seems far superior to the dw, even though most people tell me i'm crazy...

besides, i'd have to pay an extra $742 for the 2nd one!!!

I agree that my Iron cobra single pedal is way better than the dw and people tell me Im crazy also. But once I adjusted it to where I want it and spent some time working I find it waaaaayyyaaayayaya better!!

I agree that my Iron cobra single pedal is way better than the dw and people tell me Im crazy also. But once I adjusted it to where I want it and spent some time working I find it waaaaayyyaaayayaya better!!

yeah, it really came down to the feel of it. while the dw was probably faster, it felt too light. i like the weights on the ICs up high so i can really feel the heavy impact on the kick. there's just a better sense of gravity and depth to it. i tried out the dw9000, and while it was better than the 5000, it had that same shortcoming.
then again, i've been rather biased towards tama lately...:cool:

Back