My Humble Studio Featuring A Rather Special Chair...

Is coming along...

Well, more of a 'recording & mixing corner', really.

From a heap of junk and wires on a desk, I've gone to this...

PA310062_2.jpg

So far, I've built the cabinet with the sloping desk and set the gubbins inside, with the mixer, keyboard and trackball set flush with the surface along with the banks of LED toggle switches and lights that are intended to go in. Other MIDI controllers will follow suit, for that integral 'Thunderbirds' look.

A microphone boom arm is set inside the desk and swings out to meet the operator and instruments plug direct into the old 48-socket patchbay found on Ebay.

Note the big 'Bond villain' leather chair... A lucky find - and a bit of kudos! Once belonging to Bob Lamb, the legenday studio producer, credited with creating the early sound of Duran Duran and whose clients include UB40, Ruby Turner, Steve Gibbons, Stephen 'Tintin' Duffy and Slade. This chair is a piece of music history and now it takes pride of place in front of my humble little workstation.

If it's as old as I think it is (and judging by the wear on the arms, I think it is) this chair carries the 'vibe' of the eighties and if it could speak, would probably tell a few stories. :)

Also, note the obligatory cat and woman.

Still lots of woodworking and inner wiring to do, tying it all together and completing the environment. If anyone's interested, I might post some more pics as it develops.

Thanks for looking.

Dr. V

Last edited:
nice work :)

i like the integrated look...I wish i had my own place here to get started on this kinda stuff..i love the fact youve built it yourself

one question though...arent your monitors a little too high, and shouldnt they be facing inwards as well?

(chair and optional woman are cool)

nice work :)
one question though...arent your monitors a little too high, and shouldnt they be facing inwards as well?

I'm not sure. Before I started this, I had envisioned them to be lower down inside the desk and facing upwards (something like the hidden monitors in a newsreader's desk?) but it hasn't worked out that way.

As it stands, they are pretty much at eye level when seated but sometimes I like to stand up to work and the sloping panel means the controls are always just beneath my hands in both situations. The monitors can raise vertically and swivel, for when I want to stand up at my piano keyboard.

As for facing inwards, well... they could but when they're in the lowered position, the sloping desk tends to restrict that, by causing them to fall at an angle whereby they aren't fully square on. However, flat-on, they seem just about right when viewed from the central seating position.

Thanks for the input. Any other ideas anyone might have would be gratefully considered.

Cheers

Dr. V

I found a lava lamp yesterday, for £9.99. Same place I purchase my cabling and other bits and pieces. The guy had no idea lava lamps were so important. They seem to be making a big comeback but I have a plan hatching, which involves... fairy lights! Programable fairy lights! :drunk:

Back