mxl990 pair as overheads?

starsxandxslits

has anyone had any good experience at all with using these as overheads...i've been using a pg58 with the cord wrapped around the light fixture above my kit so anything will be a step up(although i have to say it didn't sound too bad). i was just curious if anyone, with any success, has used them as overheads as they seem a good multi purpose mic...i guess.

starsxandxslits said:
has anyone had any good experience at all with using these as overheads...i've been using a pg58 with the cord wrapped around the light fixture above my kit so anything will be a step up(although i have to say it didn't sound too bad). i was just curious if anyone, with any success, has used them as overheads as they seem a good multi purpose mic...i guess.

I've used them and they do a decent job. Just sold them to a band in Portland today. They plan to use them for overheads.

One things for sure. You'll be way ahead of the pg58 set up.
It will take you a bit to get used to though.

F.S.

http://www.mojopie.com/990991.html

Personally, the 990 is my least favorite condenser and really inadequate for distance miking but some users swear by them for vocals. The 991 is quite usable for guitar, overheads, and X-Y/wide-pair miking), and an omni capsule pair kit is even available for the 991 for $50. For the price of one 990, I'd suggest a matched pair of MSH-1O mics. Add an MSH-1K for less than the cost of the second. You could have a matched pair of MSH-1O (or the new MSH-2) mics, and a MSH-1K kick/bass mic for less than the cost of a pair of 990's. I guarantee you that it's a better and more versatile recording setup for less money than a pair of 990 mics.

Another option:

http://karma.hostcentric.com/clearancepage.htm

The cardioid SDC condensers in the 7-piece set sound/record way better than the 990 and the tom mics record really well. My jury's still out on the snare and kick mic recordings but the set really works well for live FOH. All this for the cost of two 990 mics.

And while you're at the Karma website, check out a matched pair of these for inexpensive overheads:

http://www.karmamics.com/micro.html

Decisions, decisions . . .

Paj
8^)

starsxandxslits said:
...i've been using a pg58 with the cord wrapped around the light fixture above my kit so anything will be a step up...
You may find that to not be true. More detail is only better if it sounds good.

Get the MSH1-0 pair. They make it pretty easy to capture a natural sound on most things.

Not wanting to be descouriging I did not want to say but, ya I used 57's before and it was easy to get an half ok sound. The condensors will point out what your room really sounds like. You may think it sounds like shit right of the bat. You will more than likely have to do some work on the room to get a good sound.

F.S.

my room, to my ears sounds pretty good to me...both while i'm playing and while others sit in...i have used some condensers to record them in this room...they weren't mine and they were expensive...i don't remember what they were...but the kit is is tip top shape, it's tuned appropriately, and i'm not too bad a drummer...i was a percussion major in college. i'm no super-drummer, but i can play consistantly, and with good technique, and with good tone. my room is 12 ft. ceilings nice and open, treated minimally, wood floors. i've had friends that went to soundlab in dallas tell me for a home studio room with the lack of work i put into it, lucked out. i'm also looking at the joemeek jm-27s...ebay for 89.99 a pair with shockmounts...i've heard some people having a good time with these? any of you guys care to enlighten me?

I have the JM27 mics, don't have a major criticisms, $90 is the best price I've seen for a pair of them with shockmounts, and they sound way better as overheads than the 990. For the money I'll stick with the MSH and Karma recommendations I made above.

Paj
8^)

Paj said:
I have the JM27 mics, don't have a major criticisms, $90 is the best price I've seen for a pair of them with shockmounts, and they sound way better as overheads than the 990. For the money I'll stick with the MSH and Karma recommendations I made above.

Paj
8^)

Ya there's a reason I sold my 990's;)

F.S.

Back