Music I don't like, what don't you like??

Fricken Tchaikovsky. Can't stand his stuff. And pretty much anything conducted by Leonard Bernstein. Texas swing. one two THREE. The rhythm is just wrong. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Sorry, know he's a "good" player but he hits in the wrong places to my ears

Fricken Tchaikovsky. Can't stand his stuff. And pretty much anything conducted by Leonard Bernstein. Texas swing. one two THREE. The rhythm is just wrong. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Sorry, know he's a "good" player but he hits in the wrong places to my ears

STV, for me it's not that he hits the wrong place, it's that he hit one place, and stays there. Strong player, absolute respect, but mono chromatic. Solid, but there's never that surprise phrase of refreshment.

Ah, here we go... I will take the rap for you...get your 'fingers in ears' ready. You have got to give it to her just for sheer nerve.

She does have balls. I know two guys who are just terrible and I think they know it and they still go for it, I have to give them that old E for effort.

I don't hate anything .... after 60 years of constant playing and gigging, music's music.

it's all the same to me ..... I've played bassoon in symphony and twangy guitar in honky tonks and prog-rock and soul and classic rock .... you name it ...... I pretty much like it all when it comes to playing it.
I love playing and it doesn't matter that much to me what I'm playing ..... it's all a joy.

As for what I don't like to listen to ...... I don't like anything with scream vocals and I'm actually not a fan of classical even though I've been a classical player before.
But I don't hate anything or any specific song .... always seemed limiting to me.

Trad Jazz, Spice Girls, Frank Sinatra, Kareoke Singers, 'Singers' who don't play an instrument.
Boy/Girl bands, who don't play instruments.
Bob Dylan
plus many more...

Fricken Tchaikovsky. Can't stand his stuff
Funnily enough, some pieces I really like are by old Tchaik. I'm about to start working on a piece that a friend and I recorded the bass and drums for back in 2009 called "Psych Tchaik." I've thought so much about it over the years but just haven't gotten around to recording the other instruments. Part of it is based on "Dance of the knights" {which has nothing to do with the Kovsky} and the other part on something about the cygnets in Swan lake. The idea first struck me around 1979 in a song I wrote but never recorded, called "Rotunda." It was one of the first things I ever wrote, but the bit it was based on, I didn't know it was Tchaikovsky until 20 years later.
Stevie Ray Vaughn
An old manager I worked with in the late 80s/early 90s {who ended up embezzling funds from where we worked before he was rumbled by myself and our admin worker and left in disgrace} was always trying to turn me onto SRV.
I just couldn't get into him. It was possibly the wrong time as I was moving off into a heavier jazz/jazz-fusion and Celtic folk direction.
How about the crooners, Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Snotra. They all stink.
I really like Snotra on "Strangers in the night" and "Something stupid." I still call the former "Strained jaws in the night" !

There used to be a programme called "the Protectors" and I thought Tony Bennett sang the theme tune to it. I really liked it but it turned out to be Tony Christie !
Flaming Tonys !!

As for Perry Como, I don't know why, but there is something about the mention of his name that always makes me first smile, then laugh. When I was a kid, he was the butt of many jokes and the epitome of the smooth crooner. I don't think I've heard him sing.
But that name just cracks me up. To me, it's iconic.

If I went through all the artists or music I don't like, we'd be here until Vladimir Putin grew hair like Elton John.

Holy crap. Tchaikovsky is one of my favorites. Definitely within my top 3 orchestrators. Absolutely genius stuff, IMHO.

There are a lot of songs I don't like that I could put on this list. Usually, they're in the broad hip-hop/R&B genre, when they have a hook that's just skin-crawlingly bad.

One that immediately comes to mind:
Rhianna - that diamond song. Jesus ... it makes me want to scream.

Other than that, I get really tired of most rap/hip-hop songs that just talk about the performer's fat stacks or "how bad-ass they rhymes are," etc.

Carole King's "It's Too Late" is I think the most depressing song I've ever heard in my life - but not in a good way, like Radiohead depressing. It's the "makes me wanna slit my wrists" depressing. It's not just the lyrics in that one; it's the deadly combination of lyrics and music/melody. It's like depression personified.

And then, one specific mention of a song that physically does something to me I can't explain:
"You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate. I hate the whole song, but it's specifically the way he sings "miracles" mostly; it just does something to me. I literally have to cover my ears and say "lalalalalalala" until it stops.

I hate the whole song, but it's specifically the way he sings "miracles" mostly; it just does something to me. I literally have to cover my ears and say "lalalalalalala" until it stops.
I first heard the song when I was 12. Always liked it without loving it ~ Hot Chocolate did many better songs.
When I first heard it, I thought Errol Brown was singing "I believe in Milko." It kind of registered in my mind because I remembered Milko, a character in this weird programme I watched as a kid, "Hatty Town."
King's "It's Too Late"
I wonder if Charles III is thinking that !

Carole King's "It's Too Late" is I think the most depressing song I've ever heard in my life - but not in a good way, like Radiohead depressing. It's the "makes me wanna slit my wrists" depressing. It's not just the lyrics in that one; it's the deadly combination of lyrics and music/melody. It's like depression personified.
I always loved playing "Its Too Late" back in the day. It was probably the closest to playing a jazz guitar solo of anything in our repertoire. I just grabbed my guitar and sure enough, I still remembered it after only 2 tries.

Thanks for making me fire up the neurons! It's nice to know I'm not totally feeble minded. :unsure:

There was a guitarist on CL here advertising. He said he would not play country, heavy metal, gospel, jazz, hip hop, R&B, classic rock etc. I answered twice asking him
what he would play, I never got an answer. I have to assume he was just trolling. I was going to copy the ad and post it but it is down now.

Back