multing a miced source

Tonio

Hey all,
what is the best way to get mutliple tracks from one source? Lets say I've got a mono source I want to mult. I want a clean track from the pre and another to go to a comp . Resulting in 2 tracks into a DAW. Kinda psuedo parellel comping? Consensus is that I shouldn't comp on the way in , or just copy the track and comp ITB right.
I do not want that, I want 2 seperate tracks.
I see more mic splitters than a line splitter. How is the phantom power dealt with a mic splitter? uhh that won't work, I need 2 from the pre. Know what I mean.
Couldn't I just get(or make) a rigged up Y cable for a line splitter, or will I loose amplitude. Any phase and/or frequency problems with that?
I do have a mixer, but want to use my outboard pre.

Thanks
T

ART sells a mic cable splitter box for 25 bucks. I have some I use for my mobile rig when I dont want to drag out the big splitter snake.

Thanks jmorris, $25 hmmm doesn't mic splitter need a good transformer?
Just edited out that I would rather go with a line splitter.
With mic splitter you are splitting from the mic, or is from the pre outputs?

mic splitter just splits the cable into two inside the box. Then sends it to two outputs.Mine is passive. I dont even think is anything else inside. This all happend before mic preamp.Active is another story, more guts, cant remember what else! same thing, before the preamp:p

I re-wired an insert cable so that both sides were going to tip, instead of one to tip and one to sleeve. I use that after the preamp. you could make one balanced, if you wanted to.

Tonio said:
Hey all,
what is the best way to get mutliple tracks from one source? Lets say I've got a mono source I want to mult. I want a clean track from the pre and another to go to a comp . Resulting in 2 tracks into a DAW. Kinda psuedo parellel comping? Consensus is that I shouldn't comp on the way in , or just copy the track and comp ITB right.
I do not want that, I want 2 seperate tracks.
I see more mic splitters than a line splitter. How is the phantom power dealt with a mic splitter? uhh that won't work, I need 2 from the pre. Know what I mean.
Couldn't I just get(or make) a rigged up Y cable for a line splitter, or will I loose amplitude. Any phase and/or frequency problems with that?
I do have a mixer, but want to use my outboard pre.

Thanks
T
Get a mixer, that's what they are for.

BTW It really seems like you are trying very hard to accomplish nothing.

Route multiple channels in your DAW to the input that the pre is plugged into. Or copy and paste one track, it'll be the same thing at the end.

You can also just set up 2 tracks in your DAW and assign the same input to both of them.

OK, let me try this again.
e.g.
I have 1 outboard pre with one output. I want to mult one line to a track in the DAW. I also want a mult from the pre going to a comp>seperate track-DAW.
Does that make sense? I realize dynamic processing should be done serial from source, or parallel during mix. But I tried the above scenario with my Grace 101 since it has 2 outs. The out come was really cool, its almost easier than doing it in the mix. Just bring up the comp'd track to taste. Now I want to try this on a ADesigns P-1.

I don't have a patch bay. Will Falken's idea work? Why not a line splitter-I think Whirlwind has a few w/ transformers-passive.

T

hmm, they're all mic level splitters. I guess I could route it to the mixer and do mult outta there. Its a prosumer Spirit SX, so I fear it could degrade the signal. Guess I'll have to do a test run. Any other options?

no; don't get a mic splitter. you don't need any splitter if the signal is post-preamp. you just need to split the signal with a cable. signals cannot be comined in this way but they can be split.

Tonio said:
hmm, they're all mic level splitters. I guess I could route it to the mixer and do mult outta there. Its a prosumer Spirit SX, so I fear it could degrade the signal. Guess I'll have to do a test run. Any other options?
You aren't going to do any real damage with that board, don't worry about it.

why not just copy the track in DAW and then compress? I run a ton of stuff no compression in to recoder then compress later if needed.

Back