Ms-16

hilltop studios

Hello Everyone,
Came across an MS-16 on ebay. Something doesn't look right to me on the attached pic of the headstack. Notice the shaft between the left most tape guide and the left lifter. I might be loosing it but I dont think my MS-16 has that shaft ?? From left on my machine I have the counter roller, left tape guide, left lifter,center tape guide, right lifter, right tape guide and capstan. What's everyone think ? Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• Headstack_Left.jpg
    Headstack_Left.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Its supposed to be there. Here is a pic of a spare head assembly. Where my thumb is is where the tape lifter goes. The post can be removed via a screw on the bottom but Im pretty sure its there so the tape hits the heads correctly.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 94
Ken...that's pretty. I like the look of a headblock.

Dave, I saw that listing too...didn't notice the shaft of course, but I did notice that there is no arming panel or AQ-65 in any of the pcitures! :eek:

Not nice if they are not included...the deck won't work without the arming panel right??

Also, am I correct that it will function without the AQ-65 but you'll be missing out on some of the really neat-o features of the MS-16 with the special sync functions on track 16?

I just sent the Seller a question about the arming panel and the AQ-65...not interested in an MS-16, but if he says they are not included I'm going to implore that he come clean in the auction detail...

Talldog,
Thanks for responding. Wow my MS-16 head stack does not have that post ?? There's a threaded hole in that position where something could be screwed in but It's not shown in my maintenance manual either. All the pictures of the head stack just show an empty hole ?? Weird huh ?? Hopefully some other MS-16 owners will chime in.

Sweet,
You nailed it buddy ! I questioned the seller about the "not shown" arming panel as well :) No answer yet. Also I could have sworn when I first saw the post this morning he mentioned it having "Dolby" noise reduction yet the dbx units are plainly visible in the pics. I mentioned that to him in my question as well. Now it listed as having dbx :) Interesting huh !! Well I doubt he would get his asking price without the Tascam rolling rack that you usually see and of course if there's no arming panel .....well hopefully he'll revise his ad and yes your right about the arming panel...gotta have it ! The AQ-65 is the cool auto-locator with all the memory points, not a must but very nice to have. I don't think it has anything to do with the special sync functions on track 16. It seems to me that is just controlled from the arming panel. Regards, Dave

Last edited:
But-but-but I thought Dolby was a synonym for noise reduction? :rolleyes::eek::D

I hope some other MS-16 owners chime in too...that's really interesting. Maybe it was a production revision at some point. Do you know when your deck was manufactured?

Ethan (evm1024) and Danny (pianodano) would be great to hear from. If they don't post up here you might send them a PM with a link to this thread.

Sweet,
Yeah you have to watch out for those synonym's :) Godd idea about Dano and Ethan. Hopefully they will chime in. I just checked my manual again and there's definitly no sign of that post in any of the pictures. Just an empty hole !! I dont know the exact year of my machine. I do have maintenance receipts from the original owner dated back to 1990/91 but I'm not sure when he originally purchased it. I actually bought it from his son who had inherited it.

THe shaft

THat shaft sets the angle of the tape going into the erase head. With the shaft the angle matches the angle of the tape leaving the erase head.

Looking at the headplate on mine I see that it is drilled for another head. I really don't know what head you would put there but the holes look like they match up with a head shoe. (OK that is from memory so don't take it as fact)

Here is a photo of my headstack.

I got my MS16 without the arming panel and was helped out by Talldog and others. In looking for one I think that I recall that one of the remotes has the arming panel built in.

This MS16 is way overpriced, I got mine for $240. And I've seen a working one from a local studio offered for $1200 (fully calibrated and in great working condition).

Regards, Ethan

OK here is the photo

Oops.... Here is the photo and the bug that kept it off my last post.

--Ethan

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 85
  • bug4.gif
    bug4.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 85
Just took a look at the listing. WAY over priced. There is obviously no arming panel which makes the deck basically useless. Ethan should know. He had one without the arming panel. If I could get $1499 for mine WITH the arming panel I'd sell it (and I have two).:D
Ken

Ethan,
My machine doesn't have the post ? The hole is there (threaded) but that's all. All the pictures in my original maintenance manual do not show the post, only a hole. The main picture showing a diagram of the tape path and how the tape is suppose to ride on the guides doesn't show it either ? It also doesn't show up in the parts section of my manual. Assuming you have a manual for your machine do you see the post in there anywhere ?
Also the only track arming unit I have ever seen is the standard one you see in all the MS-16 pictures. The only remotes listed in my manual are the AQ-65 and there's also a small remote which just duplicates the transport controls (ff,rew,play,stop,etc) and it also duplicates the pitch control functions. I have one but dont use it as I have the AQ-65. Thanks for responding. I hope I can figure out why my machine doesn't have that post ?? Recently there has been some headstacks for sale on ebay and I dont recall seeing that post on them either ??

Wow.

I've never seen one with out the post. Granted, I haven't checked the manual, but I've gone through a few of these decks. As far as arming mechs I think there is only one that some people put with the remote and others keep with the deck.

If your deck seems to be working fine without the post then I wouldn't worry. If it ain't broke........

Ken

I'm really curious...

Ken or Ethan...do your manuals show the post?

I'd bet it was a production revision...

Dave, to put this one to bed for sure I'd just give Jimmy a call at Teac in the analog support department in Montebello, CA...He'd know the answer I bet...the number is on the Tascam site.

My most difficult issues and wackiest needs/questions have, almost without exception, been taken care of by Jimmy.

Ethan:

This MS16 is way overpriced, I got mine for $240.

And yours even included the rare but sought after blown CMOS chips!!!! :D:D:D

I got my MS16 without the arming panel and was helped out by Talldog and others. In looking for one I think that I recall that one of the remotes has the arming panel built in.

Really? A remote for the MS-16 that has the track arming funcions? Are you thinking of the RC-51 for the 58? I thought I knew of all the remotes from that era...I love new things...:)

Thanks eveyone for all the responses this is a wonderful forum :)

Sweet, Yes a call to Teac will hopefully solve the question. I'll definitly let eveyone know what they say. Regards, Dave

ps. Mastercontrolme, Prices are falling all the time :)

But-but-but I thought Dolby was a synonym for noise reduction? :rolleyes::eek::D

I hope some other MS-16 owners chime in too...that's really interesting. Maybe it was a production revision at some point. Do you know when your deck was manufactured?

Ethan (evm1024) and Danny (pianodano) would be great to hear from. If they don't post up here you might send them a PM with a link to this thread.

Hi Dave,

That post is on mine. I always thought of it as a sort of flutter/scrapper. If you look at the manual on page 4-1 photo 4-1-3 the post is not shown. Nor is it shown on page 7-1, but the hole is clearly visible in the headblock as is page 7-5 fig 7-3 head housing. And I don't see it shown in the exploded view on page 8-3, but that view blows up my head anyhow.

My second machine is packed away and is kind of inaccessible but I'll try to see if it has one. The post is approximately 3/8" and straight from end to end. I don't know if the hole in the head block is threaded or if the post is secured with a small nut.

Danny

Last edited:
Ausrock and Dano,

Thanks for responding :) It's just strange that the manual doesn't show it, even in the exploded parts listing there's nothing shown going into that hole. Dano I know what you mean....those diagrams give me a headache just looking at them.
Well i scored a spare head stack off of ebay...very nice seller...his ebay name is cswaldrop. He included a lot of extra parts for me which was way cool. And guess what ??? The head stack he sent "HAS" the post :) So now I have one :) Guess the previous owner of my machine removed it for some reason and since it wasn't shown in the manual I never knew it was missing.
Thanks again guys !! Regards, Dave

Must have been...

....An arming panel in the remote stand. I'm looking through all my photos and I'm not able to see what I was remembering.

My manual does not have the post there. Putting in the post changes the path across the erase head a lot.

Regards, Ethan

....An arming panel in the remote stand. I'm looking through all my photos and I'm not able to see what I was remembering.

My manual does not have the post there. Putting in the post changes the path across the erase head a lot.

Regards, Ethan

Look on pages 4-12 in the manual.

Function switches in the rollaround and mounted with the AQ65 would have the extension cable option for the function switches. # CS-63 mount kit. Vewy vewy hard to find that item. I have been looking for the extension cable assembly for years.

Danny

While the "post" doesn't show up in at least some pics in my ATR-60 manual, it is shown in the exploded view of the upper mechanism.

As per the manual..........:

2-85 *5800762200 Head, Dummey
2-86 *5581057000 Shaft ;B

Hope this is useful to someone.

ChrisO :cool:

Attachments

• Crop of Head Assy Diagram.jpg
    Crop of Head Assy Diagram.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 58
Back