Tascam MS-16 Isolation Cover

flyingace

I have a small studio and notice when recording with the Tascam MS-16, the motor noise can be picked up a little in my sensitive condenser mics. It’s subtle but it made me think that I could build an isolation cover for the top of the unit, which is where I predominately hear the noise, that would allow operation while covered. I was thinking of building it out of a poplar frame with a plexi/acrylic top hinged at the back to open and stay open on a strut or spring of some kind.
Any ideas or someone who has done this? A lot of work to build something, a little expense, so I kinda wanted to workshop it here before spending the time if yall think it would be a waste of time, not cover the noise, etc. I have a remote for mine, so no need to touch the machine during recording.
In the larger studios I worked in, we had a separate machine room. During a few recording sessions I put my mic shield in front of the MS-16 and that blocked the direct noise.
Thoughts?
IMG_9833.jpeg
IMG_9834.jpeg

Saw this on FB in the analog recording group, which made me think about building a cover:
IMG_0729.jpeg

How hot does the deck plate get while the machine is in operation? If it gets warm to the touch, I would not cover it up with anything. If you have a remote, baffle the machine off once tape is loaded or move it out of earshot where the mics can't pick it up. If all else fails, get some figure 8 mics and position their null points toward the machine.

Honestly I’ve never felt the deck plate while in operation. I know it’s got a fan on the bottom and lots of air space for cooling below it.
You’re right, the best thing might be to build a fold up version of a “GoBo” panel, as we used to call them in the studio, to block the machine while recording. I do have a remote.

I remember having a plastic cover for reel to reel decks, but they were more to keep dirt and dust off while they sat. I always removed it before hitting play, especially since it covered the buttons of the deck.

It's amazing how much mics will pick up. I have a 4TB external hard drive. When I was doing a vocal one night, I kept wondering what noise I was hearing. It was the drive, which I totally tune out when I'm sitting there. Just rotating my mic position to put the drive behind in the null took care of it, or I could just eject it first and shut it off.

That’s true, when I was recording vocals with the Shure SM7B, no problem but my Neumann TLM103 picked up everything!

Back