MS-16 story

Once you get them out, a little deoxit on the contacts helps them go in and out easier, Pete. My 58 cards were pretty tight too. Had to pinch tight with both thumbs and forefingers and lever my wrists against the VU and arming panel on my 58 to get them out the first time...

Be REALLY careful putting them back in. it is easy to bend the pins and they are a pain to fix. Don't force it.

HAHAHA! :D

Okay!

I know what you are talking about!

That is awesome!

Over a year ago I talked with Jimmy at Tascam and he told me (I put this up on my original 58-OB Story on the Tascam Forum) that "you couldn't run +9 tape on the 58." His statement was certainly obtuse and biased (um...no pun intended) what he meant was that you couldn't properly setup the bias for +9 tape and I remember him saying that the bias circuitry in the 58 wasn't designed to output the bias level needed to properly bias the +9 tapes. I remember that when I posted that there was a small rash of antagonistic responses, which actually were all true...there isn't any reason you can't run +9 tape, and technically under-biased +9 tape must sound good to a lot of people because I've read of SO many that do it, but the bottom line is that your bias tuuning range is truncated with the +9 tape on an unmodded 58/MS-16 right? And I believe this goes for the 40 and 30-series decks as well.

Its just cool to have a much better understanding now of precisely what Jimmy meant, and then to come full circle and find there is a mod to deal with it...

When you have time, :D:D:rolleyes::eek: I'd love to know if the MS-16 and 58 amp cards are the same, get a hold of some spares and start modding while being able to keep the deck in full production.

Talldog or Pianodano:

Between the two of you would you have any amp cards you could spare (assuming that with assistance I can confirm that they are the same as in my 58)? I'd love to make it a set of 8 depending on the cost...

BTW, Jim Finch made an unsolicited comment today while I was talking with him about my 58 bias issue...he was recalling his experiences with the bias setup for the 58 but he referred to his experience on the MS-16 "since they have the same amp cards..." and he had more experience with the procedure on the MS-16. Hopeful words as far as I'm concerned, but I'd be more comfortable with a diagramatical confirmation that they are the same, and my knowledge-base does not extend to differing components that are interchangeable. That's why I'm bugging you. :o

OH SHOOT!! I hijacked your thread again...I'm sorry...really...:(:o

Its not hyjacked. This is what it is about

They are the same cards. I have full confidence in that statement. Put one in the other and it will cal up fine.

-Ethan

Oooooooooo!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

anybody...? anybody have some spare cards? spare cards for the poor? spare cards for the poor? :D

I've got a couple of non working ones that I pulled. I'll stick em in with the rest of your stuff if you want them.

Talldog...that would be...awesome.

They would be happy here...I have lots of other non-functioning stuff they can hang with. It would be...a homecoming. :D

Just wanted to say another outstanding thread, populated by genuinely helpful folk. :)

--

Ethan,

What is the pin count on that Sumicon connecter next to the ELCO connector on the back of your MS-16? Is it 60?

Man, We ARE geeks (see comment on my other posts) . Sweet, I have NO idea what you asked. I'm one of those " cool, it fits. I hope it doesn't explode" guys.

Yeah...In trying to explain to a client what the delays are in getting to recording I referred her to my 58-OB Story thread...I thought that would be easier than trying to explain directly, and that way she could run away of her own accord...in providing the link I also said "if you want to be really geeked out, check out this thread I have going right now..." Yeah...That was pretty much professional. :o

Hey, Talldog, I am here to help you grow in your geekdom...I will share any and all geekiness I possess...

The blue connecters on the back of your MS-16 are made by HRS, or Hirose. That particular type of connector is from the Sumicon 1600 series.

The ELCO connector is the left-most fat light gray one on the back next to the Hirose connectors.

Yeah...Geek-out T-dog.

Ethan,

What is the pin count on that Sumicon connecter next to the ELCO connector on the back of your MS-16? Is it 60?

Yes, it is 60 pins. Now that I have my manual from Tascam I can look some things up.

that connector is listed as Hirose P-1660 BA-CA

-ethan

Ethan,
Are you planning on using high output tape on your ms-16?
I did a little experiment on mine and it looks like the bias pot will give enough to overbias 4db for a reel of GP9. (This seems to go against what i've read about these machines).
I'm still waiting for my MRL to show up so the reference fluxivity is still a complete mystery to me.

It's hard to see from the photos but there are tell tell signs that this machine shows relatively low ware on the guides and heads. The ware [on the heads] appears even but it's a bit difficult to see precisely from the photos.

When you get your MRL tape, check the head alignment to be sure if the heads are dead on.

Also, check the guides and tape lifters [all around] to see if they've been rotated before and show a ware pattern elsewhere.

Overall, I think you have yourself a very low use machine.

BTW, the pinch roller needs to be replaced or re-rubbered.

--

YEs

Ethan,
Are you planning on using high output tape on your ms-16?
I did a little experiment on mine and it looks like the bias pot will give enough to overbias 4db for a reel of GP9. (This seems to go against what i've read about these machines).
I'm still waiting for my MRL to show up so the reference fluxivity is still a complete mystery to me.

Yes, I'm planning on using 499/GP9 on this deck. +4 overbias is most likely too little bias by 0.5 to 1.5 dB. There is a mod that is quite easy that allows proper +9 bias while moving the pot in the middle of its range. (It may make it hard to bias for 406 +3 tapes....)

I'll be doing a writeup on this mod as well as opamp/cap mods after I get the parts I need to make this machine record. This will include a description of the channel cards circuit. They are actually quite advanced on the playback side.

You can run a 1/4" or 1/2" MRL for a few moments through it to get an idea of the reference flux that it is set to.

I really could not see your heads very well... You can pull the headstack out and place is face down on a scanner to get a good photo. The headstack has 3 screws holding it in. THe heads will stay aligned. Just pull the head cover off (2 hex head screws) then the 3 headstack screws and pull the head connectors. You most likely want to do this anyway to be able to spray deox on the head connectors. Oh, the border most likely needs to come off too. Just 4 hex head screws.

Regards, Ethan

Yes, I'm planning on using 499/GP9 on this deck. +4 overbias is most likely too little bias by 0.5 to 1.5 dB. There is a mod that is quite easy that allows proper +9 bias while moving the pot in the middle of its range. (It may make it hard to bias for 406 +3 tapes....)

I'll be doing a writeup on this mod as well as opamp/cap mods after I get the parts I need to make this machine record. This will include a description of the channel cards circuit. They are actually quite advanced on the playback side.

Regards, Ethan

I think you are confusing operating level with bias setting. I know of no analog tape that is/was spec'd for a +9 over-bias setting. I also doubt that the erase and record heads would be happy having that much current going through them. I suggest you find out what the set-up requirements are for whatever tape you intend to use before modifying your machines.

Back