MS-16 story

For SteveM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbeats
My 58 came from a power company in Washington State. Not sure how they would have used it...somebody suggested it may have been for call-logging but as far as I can tell it was never modded for low speed and it didn't show the wear and tear of a production deck.

How did you end up finding that sweetbeats?

Congratulations on the m16 Ethan. Great find!

Like Ethan's find, it was a craigslist deal...I'm telling you, craigslist is the place. I occasionally do a Google search for "Tascam craigslist". That's how I found my M520 console as well for $80 total (not including the gas to drive the 700 mile round trip :eek: but I was getting 31 ~ 32 mpg...:rolleyes:)

The deal for my 48 and 58 pair came up right after I had finished a CD project tracked/mixed/mastered digitally. I was so frustrated with the digital grit in the vocal tracks (granted they were tracked at another location out of state at 16bit/44.1kHz with a low-end preamp/converter), but I tracked the drums onsite at 24bit 44.1kHz and it was another in a long list of recording experiences to digital where it was so hard to get the drums to sound natural. They couldn't breathe. They were choked and so I felt I had to work with the digital and augment what that process was doing to the drum sound rather than letting the instrument sound lead. Does that make sense? I had done limited work with a 3340S early on in my experience and it seemed like, in the back of my mind/bottom of my heart I was always trying to get that sound. I thought I could do it with better converters or pre's or outboard hardware dynamics processing or whatever, but the drums always got choked to some degree. Now this is not to say that it can't be done with better gear, and more than likely a better engineer :D, but I had run up against a wall. I do love what digital tracking does for the drums for certain styles, but it feels limiting to me in that regard. So I started thinking about getting back into analog. I bought a 238 for cheap that had problems, but even with the problems, after some quick tracking with my bass I was freaking out...oh MAN the life and detail that was there! So I returned the 238 because it didn't perform as advertised and settled on lookin for a 38. Had no clue what I was doing, but I knew that was the direction I had to go. eBayeBayeBay...and then I thought craigslist. So I searched my region and lo and behold here is this listing from a pro video production house for a 48 and a 58. Original picture in the listing:

Tascam%2058-OB%20and%2048-OB.JPG

No price. I call them and I ask the guy what they want for them. I'd never even heard of the 48 or 58, but I figured the model number is bigger, it must be better right? :p The guy answers "Mmmm...$250." And I figure he means each and I'm amped at that but when I ask he answers "No, for both." So I gave them a down payment over the phone site unseen and went and got them a couple days later. The business had acquired them when they bought out a couple smaller production houses, at least that's what the guy could remember. They had been unused for some time, but as I now know are both relatively very clean, and low-hours units. I was fortunate. Its been nearly 2 years now. Its been slow, but I have learned so much. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything and I feel like I rescued the beasts from a place of passive disrespect and it has been a pursuit to learn how to care and feed them appropriately.

More than you wanted to know, but that's the story in a nutshell.

Ethan, sorry again for hijacking the thread. Back to your story...:)

SNIP!

:mad: Bummer. Might actually be the same assembly with a differing part number to differentiate the deck model...

Ethan, would you be willing to cross-reference the 58 card with a schematic I would scan and upload with the hard-copy you get from Talldog?

The cards look so similar...

5200083210.jpg

Wow. Cool. Great combo. :)

Here is a not so good photo of a clean(er) card fromthe ms16. I'm thinking that they are the same card - perhaps a newer version. The +9 mod will work or so I would guess. I think that Teac/Tascam reused loads of designs.

I can do the cross-reference....

--Ethan

Attachments

• channel-card-clean-1.jpg
    channel-card-clean-1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 147
Cool!

Those are the same cards! Sure I'll do it.

-Ethan

PS Mazamas. Yes I'm a Mazama. Been one for 36+ years. Past Climbing Committee chair, past Nordic Committee chair, 4 expeditions, 2 as leader. Pakistan, Argentina , Peru. 300+ climbs in North America. Hood 70+ times.

I'll scan and put up a link tonight. ;)

My mom was a Mazama for several years latter half of the 90's out of Tigard.

I climbed St. Helens in '89 and South Sister several years ago. Child's play...relatively speaking :D But that is the great thing about Mazamas. Traversed part of Hood with my mom in '95 I think and all skill and experience levels seemed so welcome. Mountain climbing and hiking in general just give a fresh perspective on everything. So much to take in. My wife and 4 children and I recently have started making it a point to explore via hiking when we camp now. So many incredible gems hidden on hiking trails.

Now I understand your avatar! :)

I take you for a humble man, but you should be proud of your hiking achievements. That's a lot of gems and perspective!!!:eek:

I'll scan and put up a link tonight. ;)

My mom was a Mazama for several years latter half of the 90's out of Tigard.

I climbed St. Helens in '89 and South Sister several years ago. Child's play...relatively speaking :D But that is the great thing about Mazamas. Traversed part of Hood with my mom in '95 I think and all skill and experience levels seemed so welcome. Mountain climbing and hiking in general just give a fresh perspective on everything. So much to take in. My wife and 4 children and I recently have started making it a point to explore via hiking when we camp now. So many incredible gems hidden on hiking trails.

Now I understand your avatar! :)

I take you for a humble man, but you should be proud of your hiking achievements. That's a lot of gems and perspective!!!:eek:

Not quite as humble and all that as I would like to be. Drop my name to your mom. We may have met at one point or another. My memory for named sucks. Heck, she may have been one of my students or on a climb that I lead. Climbing is a microcosim of the world....

--Ethan

Ok here is a shot at posting the angle thingy and the schematic photo. Sweet, let me know if it is the right thing. Also guys, check out the thread SCORE that I am about to start. I just bought an Otari mx 70 16 track machine with remote, cables 2 mrls dbx units for $400! AND its only across town!

Attachments

• DSC00133.jpg
    DSC00133.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00132.jpg
    DSC00132.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 141
oooooo!

Talldog...I think that's it....! OOOOOO!:eek:

Any way you can cross reference the p/n in your manual or measure the hole centers?

Hate to ask more of you but just to be sure y'know?

Wow. Thank you in advance and for what you've done thus far. :D

So the schematic shot of the hard-copy you are sending Ethan? Did you include the parts list?

I will get a link to a 300dpi color .pdf of the 58 amp card schematic and the parts list for Ethan tonight.

You da MAN!

Definitly need the wiring harness. I'm not sure what it plugs into in the transport. I'll get the transport off the cart and look to see if anything is missing there.

Thanks!

Ah, now that I have the transport out of the rack/cart I see that the arming panel harness is actually there! So I don't need one.

It appears that the arming panel takes 4 cables (11,10,7 and 6 pins, no messing that up)

I should be able to put the arming panel in, replacing the lower valance panel and hook up those 4 cables and be golden. Er, ready to repair then upgrade the channel cards.

--Ethan

Cory,

What part number is on Q1 on your boards. Q1 is the oblong device near the bias trap. It is longer on yours and shorter on mine. THis is the only difference that I could see off hand.

--Ethan

Interesting. Your boards are a newer version than mine. The part on mine is a 2sk389. This is the same dual FET as used in the Great River MP2 mic pre that I'm DIY.

There is a replacement with a different pin config: http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LSK389.pdf

Your 2sk270bl is a dual version of the 2sk170bl that is used in the Dorsey oktava mic mods.

Nothing bad here. I'm guessing that they used this low noise matched dual fet as the front end to the reproduce amp.

Wait, perhaps Mine is the newer board? you said:
----------------
The 58 amp card assembly p/n is 5200083210
The amp card PC board p/n is 5210083201
----------------

And I read the board number of my MS16 boards as 5210083202.

the way the 02 is on my board makes me think that it is the rev number

52100832-02 (the 02 is under the main number on mine) Who knows....

In anycase I'll lay odds that the boards are the same or at least interchangable.

--Ethan

Panels needed

Hey Talldog,

here is a photo of 2 missing panels just to be sure. The back of the transport is the bottom part and the bottom of the cardcage is the top. Or wouuld be if they were there. The front of the card cage too.

square button, arming panel and ....

Thanks, Ethan

Attachments

• pannels.jpg
    pannels.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 105
OK Ethan, Looks like you need the bottom of the card box (first pic), the back transport cover (second pic), The front plate for the card rack, which I have a blank that will work (third and forth pic). Is this correct? No wonder your cards were so dirty.

So, we'll add that to the square button, the arming panel, a couple reels of slightly used Ampex 456, the dbx jumpers, copies of the card schematics and card parts lists and borrowing my mrl tape. If that's everything I'll try to get it out to you this week.

Cory, the p/n for the angle thingy (officially called plate joint) is 5800654500 for the left one and 5800654600 for the right one. I'm pretty sure that if you turn the left one over you get the right one though.....

Attachments

• DSC00135.jpg
    DSC00135.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00134.jpg
    DSC00134.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 100
Outstanding

Talldog,

That should cover everythinig to get this running. I can hardly wait!

Congrats on your "Score".

Let me say to the list that Talldog represents the generousity and thoughtfulness that I have come to expect from folks here on Analog Only. A big thanks to all who live in that spirit. And an example to those who come to this forum on how to be.

Regards, Ethan

Wierd...

Talldog, the angle thingy looks identical, but the p/n's are totally different. Might just be the color or in relation to the atr model...dunno. My parts are p/n 5800349700. The hole-spacing is 1.775".

Hear-hear!

Let me say to the list that Talldog represents the generousity and thoughtfulness that I have come to expect from folks here on Analog Only. A big thanks to all who live in that spirit. And an example to those who come to this forum on how to be.

I agree whole-heartedly!!!

I do an awful lot of taking around here, but my hope is that the knowledge that I am gaining will be used for giving in increasing amounts as time goes on.

Talldog, thanks for the setting the example.

since i own both a 58 and an MS-16 i'd gladly check to see if the cards are the same... (they look identical from what i've seen so far) the only thing: i tried removing a card in the ms-16 and it didn't seem to want to move. ethan, did the cards in yours come out easily?

Nope

since i own both a 58 and an MS-16 i'd gladly check to see if the cards are the same... (they look identical from what i've seen so far) the only thing: i tried removing a card in the ms-16 and it didn't seem to want to move. ethan, did the cards in yours come out easily?

Those cards are in there tight! I made a hook from some welding wire that I had around and pulled through the large holes. Then they came out "easily".

No way to hurt them that I can see with a straight pull.

--Ethan

Back