MS-16 story

Cool. Danny, shoot me a pm. let me know what you need for the aq65. I totally love my ms16. I have been stockpiling quantagy tape. Ethan, I have a couple of reels of blank used once Ampex tape if you need it. I didn't have any shedding problems with it when I used it the first time. Not parting with my quantagy though.............Oh yeah, I also have an mrl tape if you want to borrow it.

Do you happen to have an extra extension cable to remote the function switches ? I have looked for one for ages with no luck.

My 58 came from a power company in Washington State. Not sure how they would have used it...somebody suggested it may have been for call-logging but as far as I can tell it was never modded for low speed and it didn't show the wear and tear of a production deck.

How did you end up finding that sweetbeats?

Congratulations on the m16 Ethan. Great find!

i'm in.
i picked up the ms-16 today.
i initially couldn't figure out why it wouldn't me thread tape-- but the perhaps-not-astronaut-material previous owner screwed in the lifters backwards reducing their width. maybe he was tying to use 1/2" tape?
so far it looks to be working perfectly. it's pretty far out of alignment though.

From looking at Ethan's pic of the internal mechanism, it looks close to identical to my ATR-60.

The "accessories" for the ATR series were:

AQ-65C Auto Locator
RC-65C Remote Control Unit
ES-50 Synch Unit
ES-51 Edit Controller

I notice you guys are refering to the MS "remote" as an AQ-65......out of curiousity, are you just dropping the "C" for convenience or did Tascam have both AQ-65 and AQ-65C units.

ChrisO :cool:

From looking at Ethan's pic of the internal mechanism, it looks close to identical to my ATR-60.

The "accessories" for the ATR series were:

AQ-65C Auto Locator
RC-65C Remote Control Unit
ES-50 Synch Unit
ES-51 Edit Controller

I notice you guys are refering to the MS "remote" as an AQ-65......out of curiousity, are you just dropping the "C" for convenience or did Tascam have both AQ-65 and AQ-65C units.

ChrisO :cool:

Different plugs ? I don't know. AQ 65 uses a Elco 38 pin. MS-16 manual states AQ65. Oddly enough, I have use the atr 60 transport option on the Microlynx. MS-16 isn't even an option in their list but they did provide a wiring schematic for both machines. I have never studied the schematics to see if they correspond. Nor would I want to compare all those colored wires.

Cables/plugs are probably the same.......my manual lists it as an 8 mtr, 34 core shielded, with 38 pin (MALCO 354 or ELCO 8016 series) plug.

:cool:

i'm in.
i picked up the ms-16 today.
i initially couldn't figure out why it wouldn't me thread tape-- but the perhaps-not-astronaut-material previous owner screwed in the lifters backwards reducing their width. maybe he was tying to use 1/2" tape?
so far it looks to be working perfectly. it's pretty far out of alignment though.

Super. So much to learn, so much to share...

Channel cards

I got a chance to do some work this weekend on the MS-16. Actually it has been a mend and make weekend with lots of house chores. Last weekend I played hooky and got in a hike - 17.5 hours, 22 miles and 6500' altitude gain looking for a trail lost since they stopped mantaining it at the end of WW2. Found the trail here and there. But that is another epic....

Anyway the top 4 channel cards were coated in a thick layer of dust. Spent an hour or 2 with a brush and a shop vac. They look better now. THe lower 3 rows of cards were mostly dust free.

What is more of a problem is that on 7 of the 16 cards the TC4001 cmos quad nor gates were blown. Blown as in the plastic cracked or blew off. I've seen this before when the chips self destruct thermally due to shorts or over voltage. Looks like I have some testing to do in the PS rails.

You can see the blown chip with a chunk out of it in the lower right hand corner. Anybody else see this?

I have a manual on (back) order from tascam. But it is at lease a week or 2 away. Anybody got a scan of the channel cards schematic handy to get me going?

As for other things that went right this weekend - I got some time to pull open my Tek 465 scope. The x-y mode did not show a trace and triggering was flaky. I was able to track that down to a bit of a bad contact in one transistor. Pulled it to check it and put it back in and poof! Now I have x-y and a solid trigger and I can get an even older tek scope that I kept around simply for azimuth alignment. Only took me a year to get around to go after that problem.

Regards, Ethan

Attachments

• channel-card-dirty.jpg
    channel-card-dirty.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 107
Ethan,

What's the p/n on that amp card PCB??

The assembly looks identical to my 58 amp PCB's! :eek:

if that's the case, I'll be happy to put up a schematic.

Better yet, can anybody with an MS-16 manual confirm the amp card PCB assembly part number? If it is the same as the 58, and if anybody has any spare cards (i.e. Pianodano ;)) and you are interested in selling any, I'd love to have a couple spares!

The 58 amp card assembly p/n is 5200083210
The amp card PC board p/n is 5210083201

Also, is there anybody with an MS-16 that has a spare "angle" on the meter panel? It is the little handle on the right and left of the meter panel face. On the 58 these are actually used to pull the panel and access the amp cards. One of mine is broken and they are discontinued.

Ethan, please accept my apology for trying to capitalize on your thread. :o I just recently noticed the handles are the same, and with your picture of the amp card I thought maybe I could find a couple spares.

I hope it is the same assembly p/n regardless of the potential for spare cards though as I'd like to help by getting a schematic to you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum thread already in progress... :rolleyes::o

I believe I've got an "angle" you can have Sweet. I'm taking apart some of my spare deck today to send Ethan his arming panel and other bits. I'll check it out. I'll also look for the card schematic. I don't have a scanner but I should be able to take a pretty good picture (I'll check the p/n too).

Man Ethan, I've never seen that many totally blown chips! the cover I'm sending should take care of the dust problem at least.

Thanks

I believe I've got an "angle" you can have Sweet. I'm taking apart some of my spare deck today to send Ethan his arming panel and other bits. I'll check it out. I'll also look for the card schematic. I don't have a scanner but I should be able to take a pretty good picture (I'll check the p/n too).

Man Ethan, I've never seen that many totally blown chips! the cover I'm sending should take care of the dust problem at least.

Yes, the blown chips are a puzzle. Hopefully the cause is long gone (hah!)

I pulled the channel card cage as well and found that it is missing the bottom panel. Any chance to toss that in too? (Owe you big time!)

Regards, Ethan

I believe I've got an "angle" you can have Sweet.
Oh talldog that would be unbelievable. Let me know, and thank you even for looking into it.

Wow. :eek::D

BTW, watched the video. What a fun and memorable day that must have been! :) Nice job on the recording...and did you do the video? I missed the production credits. That was great too, though the MS-16 should have gotten more screen time. :D

If you do get the part number on the amp card and it is a match I've got a scanner and can put a hi-res scan of the schematic up on my ftp site...no client required...let me know. Either way we're gonna get Ethan his drawing! ;)

Ethan, so with blown chips does that mean possible blown caps in the PS?

You ever been a member of Mazamas?

Sweet, I think I have your angle thingy, How do I post a pic on here? Also, the p/n for the pcb assembly is 5200083220 and the pcb is 5210083202.

Ethan, I've got it apart now so I'll look for the bottom of the cage. If I have it its yours. I tried taking a picture of the schematic but I can't post it. I'll make a copy and stick it in the now very large box. Oh yeah, do you have the wiring harness for the arming panel?

Just got done with the first round of tracking with a girl singer songwriter. LOVE the way my ms16 sounds.

My buddy Dave Jingo at Peaksville Post did the video. www.peaksvillepost.com

Oh man...

Sweet, I think I have your angle thingy, How do I post a pic on here?

Talldog, I just PM-ed you before I saw your latest post...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You're great for looking into this...

The picture has to be less than 64Kb is the thing if you want the BBS to host the picture. If that is how you are wanting to post the picture, then when you are posting you scroll down to the "Additional Options" section directly below the box into which you are typing your reply, there's a button that is labeled "Manage Attachments". Click that. you can then upload a file from your computer by clicking one of the two Browse buttons at the top of the attachments window, and then click Upload.

Also, the p/n for the pcb assembly is 5200083220 and the pcb is 5210083202.

:mad: Bummer. Might actually be the same assembly with a differing part number to differentiate the deck model...

Ethan, would you be willing to cross-reference the 58 card with a schematic I would scan and upload with the hard-copy you get from Talldog?

The cards look so similar...

5200083210.jpg

Wow. Cool. Great combo. :)

Same card

Those are the same cards! Sure I'll do it.

-Ethan

PS Mazamas. Yes I'm a Mazama. Been one for 36+ years. Past Climbing Committee chair, past Nordic Committee chair, 4 expeditions, 2 as leader. Pakistan, Argentina , Peru. 300+ climbs in North America. Hood 70+ times. :eek:

Sweet, I think I have your angle thingy, How do I post a pic on here? Also, the p/n for the pcb assembly is 5200083220 and the pcb is 5210083202.

Ethan, I've got it apart now so I'll look for the bottom of the cage. If I have it its yours. I tried taking a picture of the schematic but I can't post it. I'll make a copy and stick it in the now very large box. Oh yeah, do you have the wiring harness for the arming panel?

Just got done with the first round of tracking with a girl singer songwriter. LOVE the way my ms16 sounds.

Definitly need the wiring harness. I'm not sure what it plugs into in the transport. I'll get the transport off the cart and look to see if anything is missing there.

Thanks!

Back