MOTU 896 & Analog Outs

tpreager

On the back of my MOTU 896 is 8 individual XLR analog outputs switchable at both +4dbu & -10dbu. My question is, can I connect XLR unbalanced lines (Pin 1 & 3 ground, Pin 2 HOT) to my unbalanced patch bay (Tip is hot, Ring and Sleeve are ground)?

I've already emailed the MOTU guys, but still waiting for a response.

Thanks,
Timmy J

In a word... Yes

Though I really don't thinking taking the balanced output of a $1,000 audio interface and running it through an unbalanced patchbay is your best option here. Save yourself the time and effort... get the balanced bay now... rather then later...

MOFO Pro,

Yes, I would definatly agree, unfortunately the setup that we have at our studio and due to our budget restraints (yes, they are very tight to not even be able to afford a $100 (or even less) balanced patch bay. My main concern is damaning the audio interface. Do you think it would damage it ?

Thanks again,
Timmy J

tpreager said:
MOFO Pro,

Yes, I would definatly agree, unfortunately the setup that we have at our studio and due to our budget restraints (yes, they are very tight to not even be able to afford a $100 (or even less) balanced patch bay. My main concern is damaning the audio interface. Do you think it would damage it ?

Thanks again,
Timmy J

No damage would come to the MOTU's bal'd connections by using an unbal'd patchbay. The most you will suffer is some signal degradation via this hookup.
Check E-Bay for bal'd ptch-bays that will fit in your budget.

redco.com has a very nice neutrik balanced patch bay for $55. If you already have the cabling then it is cheap. If not, you will need to spend some $$ on cables - from as cheap as $1 or so each for hosa/jade audio to $5+ each for mogami.

Back