Recording/Mixing Using Otari MX-5050 MKIII-8 and Tascam M-308B

b.glyde

Hi,

After many perusals through this forum, I have finally settled on a Tascam M-308B to hook up to my Otari MX-5050 MKIII-8. Both are in good working order and (I think) are each good to go. However, I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, and am seeking assistance. I don't have cabling yet, and want to make sure I have my order correct before placing it (probably with Redco? any other ideas welcome). I asked an engineer friend of mine to come over and look at my setup, but he was not too familiar with either machine. He said it would probably take me more hours than I have to really learn how to use them. My plan had been to put together a split console setup with the aforementioned machines, plus a basic Mackie mixer I have for monitoring while recording.

I am a bit discouraged, however, because being totally new to this stuff, I am not sure whether I have the time to learn how to really make this an easy system to use. I have young kids at home, a full-time job, etc. I feel like I need to have some Zoom lessons with someone to teach me--I just don't have time to sift through forums and watch YouTube videos and pore over the manuals. Any takers who are familiar with this stuff???? I am worried I have gotten in over my head and need to scrap this plan. I am at the "keep going" or "give up, sell the stuff, and just use ProTools" phase in my home recording journey.......:ROFLMAO:

[For background: I love tape recording and have used a trusty Tascam Portastudio 414mkII for 25 years....also use GarageBand plenty...I just have dreamed of having a "simple" higher-fi but still basically lo-fi home setup to get a cool sound in the garage...and I like the tape workflow better....but I don't know how to fix anything myself and am at such a beginning level that I don't even know how to properly load a reel of tape....I know, I know, total noob here]

So, my first question is: is there anyone out there who might be willing to help me? We could work out a fair payment for your time. Open to working with anyone, anywhere, via the power of Zoom.

My second question, for anyone familiar with this stuff, is: does this cabling setup look correct? And, anyone have any idea what the cost is for custom cabling like this?

For recording (cable set 1):
Tascam (unbalanced tip sleeve - direct out) to Otari: XLR male, pin 3 hot, line input

For monitoring Otari during recording (cable set 2):
Otari: XLR female, pin 3 hot - line output to Mackie: 1/4" TIP SLEEVE - line input

For mixing (cable set 2):
Otari: XLR female, pin 3 hot - line output to Tascam: 1/4" TIP SLEEVE - unbalanced line input

Mixdown from Tascam to computer or mixdown deck:
Phase reversed XLR cables: Pin 3 hot at Tascam end, pin 2 hot at interface end

Gratefully!

I have a number of comments to offer, little time to do it right now, but I will say the biggest question I have is why are you using the Mackie at all? You don’t need a separate mixer to monitor. That is a nice small format setup you have there. You’ll have to purposely make it “lo-fi” sounding because the Otari and Tascam are capable of quality sound.

But back to the monitoring thing…the M-300 series consoles were designed specifically for 8 track tape project studios, and the M-308 has everything you need to to track, monitor during overdubs, mix and master. One of the AUX busses can independently source the LINE INPUTs 1-8, which are normalled to the TAPE IN 1-8 jacks, and/or you can monitor using the monitor mixer either the PGM groups or your TAPE IN jacks. It’s extremely flexible and capable of interfacing 8 tape tracks as well as additional sources. Ditch the Mackie.

You don’t need it.

How many tracks do you think you’d ever be recording at once? 2, 4? All 8?

I just started with recording to tape a month ago, so I´m a bit of a noob myself. But I have a bit of very basic advice, since you say that you don´t know anything about it.
I have a Tascam m-50 which is similar to yours, and the idea is, that you put your mics into the channels 1-8 on the left, those are sent into the PGM groups, by pushing down the button to whichever one(on the channel strips), 1-4, you want to send the audio to. The volume of the PGM groups is controlled by faders 1-4 on the right. Then you plug the "PGM out"s on the back into the tape machine. That´s one way of doing it, you could also use the ones called "D OUT" on the channels, for sending a channel directly to a track of tape. I don´t think that it´s as complicated as your engineer friend thinks at all, you just need to get some cables and I´m sure you´ll figure it out just by mucking around with the mixer a bit.

I just picked up a M-308 two weeks ago... its basically yours but I need a break out phantom supply. I also just got the 308 manual tonight, I bought it on ebay, the guy had 2 so the other is probably still there... its pretty nice. I agree with sweetbeats / the mackie is unnecessary even for monitoring during takes - the 308 can do it. Also, this whole set up youve got really is a very decent upgrade from your before / not at all lo-fi ...it's regular-fi all day long.

The 'D Out's are post fader on the channel and probably the best and common option to tape.

The PGMs are there also and good if you're grouping tracks to go to one track on tape.

And I think there's a third option but I just started reading / you could send to tape from the insert if you wanted to set levels at the preamp knob only and bypass the eq and everything else south going down the channel like the fader. Some people do this and deal with whatever they are getting from the mic and its placement / then all eq and processing happens later off tape during mix-fun. That 1/4" snake you're looking at should work because the insert send is the tip and you would not need TRS style to send. Only need a tip ring sleeve if you're returning the signal again to the channel, the sleeve then is your return signal (like if you sent the signal out for re-education at a compressor or whatnot and brought it back)

Back