Tascam M 520 direct out issue

How are dip switches 7 & 8 set on the back of the AD8000?

What happens if you patch the direct out from the channel to an open input channel in the M-520 BALANCE AMP and then patch the corresponding output to the AD8000 input via the Neutrik patchbay?

I know this may or may not help you but…
I have the M520 connected to the same Tascam PB-32p unbalanced for DO and Tape In to and from my MS-16 multitrack. I regularly patch the outputs of the MS-16 to the MOTU 16a thunderbolt interface to my iMac with no problems. I originally had the 60hz problem but use a hum eliminator in the wall to my furman power conditioner that my PSU from the M520 AND the MOTU are both plugged into. No issues AT ALL.
That said, not familiar with the Apogee interface your using and you didn’t mention anything about how your computer is set up, are you sure it’s not happening after the Apogee? Hope you get to the bottom of it. These things can be frustrating.

How are dip switches 7 & 8 set on the back of the AD8000?

What happens if you patch the direct out from the channel to an open input channel in the M-520 BALANCE AMP and then patch the corresponding output to the AD8000 input via the Neutrik patchbay?
Small update because I’ve been so busy. I removed the apogee from the rack and took out the accessory DAC output card. I removed the odd numbered shorting pins for “pin 2 hot unbalanced output” and reinstalled the card. (this solution I found in a forum on gearslutz) also this information I found was not listed in the manual and apogee couldn’t email me the DAC card manual. This provided solution made it so I could now output the adat channels from my DAW into the console with no gritty bitcrushing sounding distortion I was originally getting (separate problem I did not post about) and whilst I changed nothing about my input signal in this instance, I was able to input signal from direct outs without any distortion (the original reason I started this thread).

So to recap, my issues were that when outputting any signal on a given adat channel, the signal would appear on every channel, distorted, faders down with no bus assigned. (For whatever reason adat channel 8 {output 18 in my daw} worked just fine) problem 2 is that when trying to record a signal, it would add a distortion artifact and this artifact would appear on every channel with no bus assigned. Basically making the interface unusable in both directions. I don’t believe this issue was a clocking issue.

I will post again when I’m positive this is sorted out. I hope this helps anyone who stumbles on one of these interfaces. As of right now removing the odd numbered shorting pins let my ad8000 operate how It should be. Signal wouldn’t appear in my monitors without being assigned to a bus, no distortion and patching worked fine. Should’ve just got a 16 channel lynx or Apollo in the first place haha.

So basically the issue had nothing to do with the M-520, correct?
Yup you’re correct. It’s interesting to me that an interface from 20ish years ago, I couldn’t get all the required information even from the company directly. If it weren’t for that forum I never would’ve figured out this problem. Thanks for the help on this guys. All the information I can get helps.

Next thing I have to figure out is the noise floor on my auxiliary sends!

Have you taken the Apogee out of the rack and retested? There is a giant power transformer in the PS spraying noise every where. Also you might have a grounding issue/loop with the Apogee and the PS chassis grounds tied together in the metal rack.

Have you taken the Apogee out of the rack and retested? There is a giant power transformer in the PS spraying noise every where. Also you might have a grounding issue/loop with the Apogee and the PS chassis grounds tied together in the metal rack.
I ended up taking the apogee out the rack and removed the odd numbered jumper pins (1-16) on the DAC output card for “pin 2 hot unbalanced operation” I also added an air gap between the console PSU and apogee. This seemed to fix my input and output issues.

Reactions: RFR
Yup you’re correct. It’s interesting to me that an interface from 20ish years ago, I couldn’t get all the required information even from the company directly. If it weren’t for that forum I never would’ve figured out this problem. Thanks for the help on this guys. All the information I can get helps.

Next thing I have to figure out is the noise floor on my auxiliary sends!
What are the conditions under which you experience high noise at the AUX outputs? And have you measured the noise? Like, how much noise is it, and give me sample settings when you experience the noise.

What are the conditions under which you experience high noise at the AUX outputs? And have you measured the noise? Like, how much noise is it, and give me sample settings when you experience the noise.
So, a couple of questions I've been asking myself these past few weeks from my last post here.

Regarding the general noise floor of the console, I've decided I should recap my power supply to see what my baseline for other channel repairs might be. I've never recapped any old electronics, but I have soldered together a new wiring harness for a Les Paul, switch, pots, pickups, etc. My question being what's the safe way to do this? How did you safely discharge the caps in the power supply? Honestly, how did you do it lol? I've tried finding the post by user "staticmethods" regarding his recap, but I can't find this specific post. But I did find his post about his post lol.

If you believe there's sufficient information posted about this already, I'd really appreciate a direct link.

Otherwise if you have time to type out a general guide to recapping the power supply, I'd appreciate that even more. Two other things I'm stuck on when it came to console maintenance are: how do you get the bank of four channels removed from the console chassis. When I cleaned mine, I did one at a time and removed all the screws, pot nuts, and spudged out the molex connectors from one channel to the next, but couldn't pull the channel out of the chassis. Next question is, I never cleaned my master section, how does taking this section apart for cleaning differ from the rest of the channel banks. I noticed that it's two sections of four joined together, so it was very intimidating to me at the time and I didn't want to break anything.

I've noticed this console has a test oscillator and I've been using it to put out 0vu on my program bus meter, and with my program groups normalled to my first 8 interface channels, I set the interface preamp gain until it reads -18dbfs. I'm a bit confused if this is the right way to calibrate. I read the 0vu is -18dbfs, but isn't that at +4dbu? And if the output of the program busses is -10dBV how does this effect calibration.

Again thank you for always taking the time to read/reply to this stuff. I'm sure you've mentioned these things before somewhere in your threads. That knowledge is wealth.

Hi there, I can't help you with specifics about that mixer, never seen one but you don't need to be too concerned about stored voltages on capacitors. Solid state circuits are 'always on' and thus tend to drain the caps when mains power is removed. Valves turn off completely when the heater supply disappears so there can be some remaining high voltage (but tis poor design IMO, they should fit drain resistors)

Once the gear has been off for ten minutes or so check round with a voltmeter, if you do find a cap with significant voltage on it discharge it through a resistor. Anything 100 to 1000 Ohms will do, clip on with croc leads of which you should have many! The old tech's style of the screwdriver across the cap is not recommended. Can generate a pulse that can blow chips and stuff.

The line up levels you should find in the service manual which a must have before you go any further. Internal operating levels can be different for different brands, -2dBu is common for good technical reasons.

Dave.

Regarding the general noise floor of the console,
Just curious, as a fellow M-520 owner, did I just get lucky with my lightly used one? When you talk about the general noise floor of the console, what are you hearing? mine is super quiet, I don’t hear anything more than the occasional trim pot or assign button that needs a little cleaning. I have not done the full sweetbeats treatment taking out each channel card but my issues are so minor (🤞 ✊🪵) that shoestring and deoxit usually brings it around. My recordings on both my 2 track and 16 track are quiet and clear. I’d love to better understand what you are hearing so I can keep a notice of it if it pops up and then hope that a fix is in these threads.

@Dahoxic

Regarding the general noise floor of the console, I've decided I should recap my power supply to see what my baseline for other channel repairs might be. I've never recapped any old electronics, but I have soldered together a new wiring harness for a Les Paul, switch, pots, pickups, etc. My question being what's the safe way to do this? How did you safely discharge the caps in the power supply? Honestly, how did you do it lol?.

Note: by offering you advice, tips, guidance, etc. regarding electronics repair I assume absolutely no responsibility or liability for anything that happens to you or your equipment. I’m not a professional, I’m a hobbyist. Work on your gear at your own risk and treat it like it could kill you, because electricity can kill you.

Okay. Like Dave said you can just leave the device to sit and the caps will discharge over a little time. Generally if I’m going to be working on something I’ll just unplug it for a couple hours. If I have any question about whether or not there is energy stored in any caps I’ll just measure with a voltmeter. After power is disconnected you can measure a cap and just watch the voltage drop. If I have to discharge a cap I bleed it using a resistor. But the easiest thing is just to unplug it and let it sit for an hour or two. And as to the rest of the procedure there is nothing different about removing through-hole caps and soldering in new parts than any other board level soldering job. There’s nothing special about caps per se. Find a scrap PCB from an electronics surplus store or something and practice. I use a good quality manual vacuum type solder sucker. And you want a good iron with a clean tip that’s the correct size, generally about 2/3 the size of the solder pads you’ll be welding. But practice on something. You’ll have to remove the power supply PCB from the PS-520, or IIRC the inputs unplug, the outputs are hard-wired. So unplug the inputs, remove the mounting screws and if there are plastic pins squeeze those with needle nose pliers and pop the board off. It’ll stay attached to the output wires, but at least you’ll be able to have the board out of the chassis if not tethered by the wires, and be able to flip it to either side. Have some kind of cloth or padding you can put on the top of the chassis to lay the board on to avoid damaging the board or the chassis. I like rubber shelf liner. The meshy stuff. It’s soft, grippy, and non-conductive. Also, I strongly suggest you take proper electrostatic discharge measures. This means you ground yourself and your work and anything the work is going to touch to a common low-impedance connection to earth. It’s just good practice. It becomes more critical the more micro the electronics get, but static discharge can potentially damage any integrated circuit, and there are IC regulators in the supply.

Hopefully the above gets you started. Acquire the parts. Prep the work. Remove the caps. Weld the new ones in. Double and triple check your work throughout the process, especially the orientation of any polar caps. I generally remove an area of caps or a common cluster or something like that and put the new ones in rather than remove all and increase the risk of putting a cap in a wrong spot. And did I mention to double and triple check your work as you go? Do it. I’ve replaced thousands of caps. I am careful. Putting one of those bigger main filter caps in backwards will sound like a Glock 45 going off when it blows. And it will make a hella mess. You want to point assemblies with new caps away from you when you power them up after replacing parts, or if the chassis is steel then reinstall the covers to contain the explosion. Ask me how I know all that. And I double and triple check…even with that mistakes can happen. Never underestimate your capacity to be an ignoramus.

If you believe there's sufficient information posted about this already, I'd really appreciate a direct link.

I’ve said all this stuff many times but it’s buried in threads; time consuming to repeat it, but time consuming to do the same hunting and searching you can do to look for it. So, ultimately it’s easier to just repeat myself.

Otherwise if you have time to type out a general guide to recapping the power supply, I'd appreciate that even more.

Done…at least to some degree.

…how do you get the bank of four channels removed from the console chassis…couldn't pull the channel out of the chassis.

Here again I’ve posted this a bunch. I’m sure it’s in my M-520 Story thread more than once. I’ve not owned an M-500 console in a decade now so this is from dusty memory:
  1. Look at the leading edge of the meter bridge chassis…right above the modules…IIRC there are 6 screws left to right across the console. Remove them and tip the meter bridge assembly back. It tips back on hinges like opening the hood of a Corvette.
  2. With the meter bridge tipped back you’ll see the inside of the backplane, a shit-ton of connectors, the balance amp PCB assembly to the right, and also now exposed are two screws per 4-channel module that fasten the top of each module to the console frame. Remove them from the module you want to pull from the frame.
  3. Remove the trim strip between the wrist rest and the modules…6 screws? 7 screws?
  4. With the trim strip removed you’ll see two screws per 4-channel module that fasten the bottom of the module to the console frame. Remove them from the module you want to pull from the frame.
  5. The module is now unfastened from the frame. Now is the fun part where you carefully disconnect 500,000 mini Molex connectors from the backplane as well as the motherboard and also to disconnect the module from the adjoining module. Once all that is disconnected you can, in theory, lift the entire module free from the console frame, though it will remind you it doesn’t want to leave its cozy nest as 500,000 mini Molex connectors snag on wires and other facets of the interior of the frame while you try to lift it free like some cruel Chinese puzzle, and you’ll start to consider replacing some of the fish hooks in your tackle box with these connectors.
  6. Reassembly is the reverse of the above. Take pictures of connections prior to disconnecting if that’s helpful, or get some blue masking tape and a Sharpie and label as you disconnect them. You don’t have to know what they all are, just come up with your own numbering or naming scheme. The blue tape is also great for wrapping around a bleeding knuckle because #%!$&@ it’s tight in there and there’s sharp stuff. Also have confidence that, assuming you’re only removing one module at a time, you can refer to the connections of the installed modules when reconnecting and reinstalling a module you removed.
I never cleaned my master section, how does taking this section apart for cleaning differ from the rest of the channel banks.

It comes out the same way as the input channel modules, but, yes, it’s a double-wide module and so there are 4 mounting screws at the top and four at the bottom, and more connectors. Take pictures. The master section is a mashup of horizontal and vertical boards. And you just have to start stumbling through what to unplug/remove/disassemble to access what you want to get to. The monitor mixer PCBs are vertical, but they are buried above a large horizontal PCB. It’s not the easiest thing but it’s not terrible either. IIRC the main boards are held by two screws at one end and the other end they’re mounted on a hinge so you may be able to keep things semi-assembled to get to the monitor mixer boards…remove two screws and tip the big board up and semi out of the way, but it’ll fight you as a result of the connections and wiring…you mostly want to get to the monitor mixer boards right? To clean the pots? But I wouldn’t hassle with that unless you *know* they are dirty. If they have a lot of skritchies it may be time to recap. A lot of times that’s where the skritchies come from is DC present in the signal path because of failed coupling caps.

If you end up trying this and something breaks, I do have, I think, most of the master section PCB assemblies in storage.

[/QUOTE]I've noticed this console has a test oscillator and I've been using it to put out 0vu on my program bus meter…I set the interface preamp gain until it reads -18dbfs. I'm a bit confused if this is the right way to calibrate. I read the 0vu is -18dbfs, but isn't that at +4dbu? And if the output of the program busses is -10dBV how does this effect calibration.[/QUOTE]

What are you trying to calibrate? Your DAW interface? I’ve never done anything like that. Your console meters are going to help you see if you are overloading your summing amps in the groups. Does your DAW have input meters? Run your program material and set the trims on the interface for good signal without clipping. Done. dBu and dBv measure or reference something completely different than dbfs. They are entirely apples and oranges. So there’s not an equivalent conversion, it’s based on the operating level of the converter and its capabilities. You can feed tone to your PGM group outputs and push the level to see where your DAW inputs clip…I don’t know what interface you have but it should have some way of monitoring if you are overloading the analog input amp and then decent DAW software has a way to monitor the post AD conversion input signal for level. Just figure out what level on the VU meters corresponds to clipping on the analog front-end of the interface as well as the AD converted signal if you want, but at the end of the day that won’t equate to clipping levels of program material because program peaks are not steady sinus tones. I always set levels on the interface and DAW software based on the program content I’ll be recording. Does that help at all?

Just curious, as a fellow M-520 owner, did I just get lucky with my lightly used one? When you talk about the general noise floor of the console, what are you hearing? mine is super quiet, I don’t hear anything more than the occasional trim pot or assign button that needs a little cleaning. I have not done the full sweetbeats treatment taking out each channel card but my issues are so minor (🤞 ✊🪵) that shoestring and deoxit usually brings it around. My recordings on both my 2 track and 16 track are quiet and clear. I’d love to better understand what you are hearing so I can keep a notice of it if it pops up and then hope that a fix is in these threads.
It’s not always an issue of how much it was used, but the environment. And age. The M-500 series were made for a number of years. A console used or stored in a hot or humid environment for years might be ready for a recap sooner. So…yes, maybe consider yourself fortunate.

Just a couple of extra thoughts...I don't know if that mixer is known to run hot and therefore be hard on electro-caps but it might be worth fitting 105C types in place of the 85C components that are in it. New caps for the same voltage and value of the old ones will be smaller. 105C caps are bigger than 85C but new ones might still fit. Because of the smaller size of new capacitors people are often tempted to fit a larger value than the original. DON'T DO THIS! Especially in power supplies it can lead to problems. Top people like Tascam KNEW WTF they were doing! Mr S might have a valid comment about this however and so go with his advice.

By the same token do not be tempted to swap out op amps for 'better' ones just because some spotty yoof on YT said you should. Many times other ops pull more current than the originals and that can add up to trouble. Sometimes a different op amp needs a circuit change.

Levels: If you are feeding an audio interface then the mixer is almost certainly going to put out a far higher signal level than the AI can handle. You can restrict the mixer output but then its meters become useless and you might compromise the noise level. Better to run the mixer at its intended OP level and attenuate the signal to scale for the AI.

Dave.

I agree 100% with this ^^^^^^. I’ll only add that with most caps anymore hi temp versions are in the same size cans as standard temp, and they are all smaller than what was typical back in the mid 1980s. And, yeah, I’ve found many circumstances in other brands’ devices where value changes with electrolytic caps are appropriate, beneficial or necessary. That’s not the case with the Tascam equipment I’ve studied or repaired, and over the years I’ve gotten that same feedback from people much smarter than me when we’ve looked at circuits together…”they knew what they were doing” is something I’ve heard before. I’ve come across opportunities to add local power filtration that may or may not be beneficial. Now, to be clear, I’m talking about early to mid/late 1980s. I have decreasing experience as things transitioned into the 1990s only because, as with most manufacturers, things are “value engineered” over time and I’m just not drawn to products that more heavily utilize plastic and cheaper components.

Also, I don’t know the M-500 series consoles to run hot or even warm.

Regarding discharging capacitors.... (and disclaimers also apply that electricity can kill you, so be careful and I am not responsible for your actions or errors).
When I was actively repairing televisions, I had many occasions to work with the high voltage section. I made a shorting device (quite simple) using a 3/8" diameter ceramic tube that was about 16" long, with a chopped off dull flat-blade screwdriver tip epoxied into one end, which had a 1 meg resistor soldered onto it, and the other end had a flexible test lead cable and alligator clip. If I needed to discharge the second anode (high-voltage) connector on the CRT, I first made sure power was disconnected and power switch set to off, then I would ground the alligator clip to the chassis, and slide the flat tip of the shorting tube under the second anode cap. It usually made a snap as the 18K to 25K stored voltage of the CRT was then safely shorted to ground through the 1 meg resistor, which was covered in epoxy to attach it to the ceramic tube and further isolated with shrink tubing.

The tube was plenty long (and being ceramic it was non-conductive) to keep me far away from the high voltage. I also learned to keep the second anode shorted out, as residual voltage would accumulate in the CRT. The CRT acts as a large capacitor, and even though it was discharged previously, voltage could still build up (yes, even unplugged!) and give you a painful shock. The same thing applies to large filter capacitors. Once initially discharged, a test lead can be left connected to prevent residual voltage build-up... just remember to remove it when powering up!

And, as Sweetbeats said, be SURE of polarity when installing electrolytics and polarized capacitors. When repairing a projector, I had it powered up and was checking other (non-power supply components) when a large electrolytic decided to blow, right under my throat. It scared me so bad I literally almost had a heart attack (had chest pain immediately), as the noise was so loud it was like a large pistol at a 1-foot distance. The smoke, oil, and guts of the capacitor were everywhere, a mist of dielectric oil was in the air and on surrounding surfaces, and required a complete cleanup of my neck, shirt, and the area and equipment, plus the stench was pretty bad. I had not worked on the power supply at all, so I guess the cap decided to let go at the worst time.

Last edited:
Back