more on building broadband absorbers

toobalicious

hey folks. just bought another 6 pack of 96x48x2" OC 703 and some whitewood to frame it with. the last absorbers i made were like many youve seen on the 'net--- 2" 'glass framed in 1x4 so as to set it off of the wall. they looked ok and worked great.

but what if i frame them in 1x6 or even 1x8? is there appreciably more absorption by virtue of the extra airspace? does the law of diminishing return apply? if so, at what point? i have read and read about these things, but cant recall a definitive answer to that question. i will be building 4 panels, as well as another panel for use as a corner bass trap (doubled to 4" thick 'glass). i have a fair amount of wall space to deal with, so i thought 4 absorbers with 2" 'glass made more sense than 2 with 4" of 'glass.

thoughts?

a

You lose any more benefit and can acutally cause more narrow peaky filtering once you get more space behind the panel than the thickness of the absorber. So, 2" gap behind 2" panel, 4" gap behind 4" panel, etc. Corners are a different animal as it's a variable depth cavity.

Bryan

thanks bryan.
somewhere in the portals of my greymatter, i thought i had remembered something like that. however, the theory of the how and why was escaping me, and cursory "testing" (just putting the raw panels up, leaning against appropriate items to achieve the air space) left the differences hard to discern with just my ears. i will be starting on these today. i am quite excited to further tame the tubbiness i sometimes experience in my live space. these wont be the prettiest things ever, so i dont suppose i need to post pics, lol. homemade and ghetto, like a lot of other things in my house :o .

and yes, the bass trap will form a right triangle with the corner, about 2' off of the floor.

a

Last edited:
Hey, homemade and ghetto is fine as long as it's functional. I'll take that any day as opposed to a completely live untreated space.

Bryan

Back