Monitoring while recording???

formerlyfzfile

Why cant I monitor the channels being recorded in CEP2????

I can monitor the channel with it armed but as soon as I hit REC I stop hearing the channel.

I have a Delta 44 and GadgetLabs 496 and have CEP set to input and output on completely different channels.

I am guessing there is some setting I am not finding in the CEP preferences ..... ???

-mike

You know what, I had and still HAVE this same problem. I do not even think there is a way to monitor while recording in CEP. Yes, it pisses me off, and im sure it pisses you off.... as it SHOULD... this is one of the reasons I am learning a new audio program. But then again, I may have not looked hard enough. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

Are you sending a Pre-Recorded Track into your Computer? or are you Recording straight into your Computer(Recording Live)?

With CEP you cannot monitor thru the software, you could use the Delta's control panel to setup a monitor mix by using the Delta's monitor mixer as the main output from the computer, then assign CEP's output to "waveout 1/2", then by using the Delta's monitor mixer, you can balance "waveout 1/2" against whichever hardware input (on the Delta) that you are recording into.

hhhmmmmm

Wow.
That seems like such a basic thing to be able to monitor what you are recording into the computer along with the pre-recorded tracks.

I never needed to before because I usually dump pre-recorded stuff into the box or am micing something and listen to the amp or whatever.

I tried the Delta panel but I think I set the wrong channels up (3/4 as opposed to 1/2) so I will definitely try that out.

Thanks.

My mixer and monitors are "on location" right now though and I wont be able to try it for a little while.

-mike

no input monitoring...

Nothing in the help files about input monitoring--and if it's not there, you can bet it's not in the program. I'm using a Delta 1010 and yes, through the flexible patchbay/router you can set the inputs of any pair of channels to be routed directly to the outputs of any other pair of channels (the m-audio control panel begins to make sense if you stare at it for long enough...)

But what this doesn't solve is if a client wants to hear reverb in their headphones while recording. i just started a voice-over/overdub studio and i'm still ironing out the kinks... it would be nice to do this via software (i.e. like you can do with protools, cubase, logic, etc), but it's going to be a major pain in the ass to do it with CEP.

does anyone have any ideas as to how i can get reverb into someone's headphones while they're recording live using software only?

Re: no input monitoring...

andyg666 said:
does anyone have any ideas as to how i can get reverb into someone's headphones while they're recording live using software only?
I don't think this can be done using only CEP. Gotta' break down and use outboard gear.

I'm confused on the monitoring question though; are you guys saying that you're unable to monitor while you record?...if you couldn't monitor with CEP, how would you record at all?

input monitoring

unable to monitor the signal that's being recorded via cool edit pro. gotta use the sound card's audio routing to be able to hear what's being recorded. tracks that are already recorded play back just fine. i think cool edit is the only software package at this level (being pretty much 'pro' level) that doesn't offer input monitoring...

Cant monitor the track being recorded.

Can hear the already recorded tracks but not the one bieng overdubed.

Can view the recording levels but cant hear the track.

So, if for instance you were overdubbing a guitar solo onto a rythm bed, i can hear the rythm bed but not the sound of the solo overdub track until after its been recorded.

To me it makes absolutely NO sense for the software not to have this capability.

You could never "play" to any of the effects in realtime.

SUCKS.

I still like the program overall though.

-mike

I've been dealing with this issue too, but using Cakewalk 9. I've seen the question asked here before and it seems like a lot of audio software doesn't give you the ability to monitor new tracks.

To get around this I monitor from the mixer, running stereo output from the soundcard to the monitor's tape-in. This lets me hear the previously recorded tracks AND the new tracks recorded thru the board.

But, to do this I can't record from the board's main output. I have to use the insert for each mixer channel (using the partially inserted 1/4" phono plug method). Otherwise, the tape-in signal makes its way into the new tracks.

reverb in headphone mix

i think i figured out a way to get some verb in the chain... not using software only though, and it doesn't change the fact that not having a software option to monitor input signal is kinda crappy... anyway, here's the solution for my studio's dillema of no verb in the cans...

microphone goes into hardware input one. hardware input one routed through the m-audio patchbay/router directly to s/pdif out. s/pdif output patched into tc electronics m-5000, m-5000 analog out into hardware inputs 7/8. hardware inputs 7/8 routed directly to hardware outputs 7/8. then channel 7/8 on my mixer has the original vocal signal plus whatever reverb i put on using the m-5000, but the verb doesn't get printed to the track. i haven't actually tested this out yet, i'm pretty much guarunteed to have latency issues this way, but it might work for me...

thanks for the brainstorming help folks!

Oh, you're gonna hate me.....

but I know I've been able to do this in the past.

I can no longer do it now, I've reinstalled both CEP and fiddled around with my Delta 44 settings. I downloaded the new drivers from M-Audio...nogo.

grrrrrrr.....

I'll try to figure it out. I'll keep y'all posted.

Got it! In the Delta 44's control panel, on the Patchbay/Router setting, I set the "H/W Out 1/2" heading to H/W In 1/2. Then in CEP's Options -> Device Properties, I set the "Wave In" and "Wave Out" tabs to "M-Audio Delta 44 1/2"

This works because I plug everything into my mixer and I really only record two tracks (one stereo track) at once. The mixer's L and R out go to the Delta 44's 1 and 2 ins. Easy enough.

Monitoring (hearing) input using Cool Edit Pro and Audiophile USB

I had the same problem with the Delta 44 and eventually got it worked out through using the software mixer that came with it..
My new problem is that on my laptop, im using the Audiophile USB which has no virtual mixer panel!
Im having the same trouble you guys are describing. I can hear tracks Ive recorded but I cant live monitor while recording! Seems to me that this is something most users would want, and doesnt make sense that it cant be easily set up. any feedback welcome and appriciated!

Back