Mix contest

Hey, Fenix, I'm not totally sure what is meant by the whole grit thing, but I do wonder -- and this is just a thought -- about what effect doing this thing at 48 khz and then downsampling to 44 might have had in terms of any downsamling artifacts (?). I doubt it would have any effect at all . . . but depending on the audio editor used, who knows? I think Vegas (what I'm using) automatically downsamples to 44.1 when it's in mix mode, unless I specify otherwise. I'll check in to that . . . but overall, I wonder what, if anything, that might/might not be contributing.

ok, if anyone is still interested this is what my mix was supposed to sound like. sorry for the late post but i've been busy.

Last edited:
chessrock said:
Hey, Fenix, I'm not totally sure what is meant by the whole grit thing, but I do wonder -- and this is just a thought -- about what effect doing this thing at 48 khz and then downsampling to 44 might have had in terms of any downsamling artifacts (?). I doubt it would have any effect at all . . . but depending on the audio editor used, who knows? I think Vegas (what I'm using) automatically downsamples to 44.1 when it's in mix mode, unless I specify otherwise. I'll check in to that . . . but overall, I wonder what, if anything, that might/might not be contributing.

I think you're onto something. I know that it's not plugs or N-track that is causing this 'noise'

I also notice not all the MP3s are at 44.1.

Perhaps I'm chasing something that isn't the main issue here. I'm not sure what happens in N-track when I do a conversion from 48khz to 44.1khz, I'm still looking at that. I could have mixed down and dithered to 16bit 48khz, but I still wanted to be able to get the mix onto a cd for listening in other systems.

Fenix - you have made mentions about the mixes being noisy or something. Where is this noise most noticable? Is it just a dirty sound during playback?

caryindy said:
Fenix - you have made mentions about the mixes being noisy or something. Where is this noise most noticable? Is it just a dirty sound during playback?

yours and chessrocks didn't seem to have the noise that the others did. I don't think it's a big deal. Do you hear the noise I'm talking about though? I was monitoring the mixes on headphones- sony 7506? i think.

Is it too late to join in on the contest?
It sounds like you guys are having a lot fun and learning in the process.

Bowisc

Back