Mix contest

freeztar said:
First of all, I find it highly disrespectful for people (no names mentioned) to slam other peoples mixes given the fact that we have all spent considerable amounts of time working on this song.

exactly : when i posted my original mp3 file i got nothing but flamed over the sound while it was quite obvious something somewhere in the chain had gone wrong (still don't know what). talk about disrespect.

freeztar said:
First of all, I find it highly disrespectful for people (no names mentioned) to slam other peoples mixes given the fact that we have all spent considerable amounts of time working on this song.

I agree...and I find it equally disrespectful to say your mix is "worlds apart" from the other mixes too...implying that you are some kind of mixing guru. NO ONE here is a fucking mixing guru. I am sure many of us have been paid for our mixing services, some more than others, but that doesn't make us a friggin know-it-all. Everyone is here to learn and offer and accept suggestions. I have no "war" with anyone on ANY internet forum, as suggested by some people. Jesus...it's a frigging internet message board. I pick my battles and my war is with assholes that like to fly planes into buildings and stupid shit like that.
However, when someone is a pompous asshole, I DO tend to tell them so. I also don't have a "hard-on" to piss someone off...but rather just feel that a pedistal needs kicking out from underneath some people, some of the time.

on another topic, I have tried downloading from Christiian's server three times!! and each time when unzipping the file, I am unable to do so because the file is not complete and I am instructed to try the download again. I am only getting about 320mb of what appears to be a 359mb file. At 1 1/2 hours per download for me, a forth time does not appear attractive. Has anyone else downloaded from this source, or did you all just get the files from the original place?

I'd sure like a crack at this mix myself. It is a great song and has given me lots of ideas running thru my head. Even with the "producer" liberties that Chess showed, I'd like to go that route too.

Any suggestions for getting the files?

and...I've also been wondering why no one used something like Drumagog for the snare, as an example...

mixmkr said:
I've also been wondering why no one used something like Drumagog for the snare, as an example...

Someone did, and they did a really good job of it, at that. I forget who.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who's mix I haven't yet commented on. Frankly, if I have to listen to that song one more time, I'm going to get very sick. :D Not a knock against the song in any way . . . just the repetition involved when you spend so much time mixing it.

And to you late-comers: Try getting your assignment in on time if you want it graded! :D :D I'll make some comments maybe next week when it sounds fresh again. Not that anyone was dying to hear my comments or anything.

I didn't use Drumagog, because I don't own it. :rolleyes: I just downloaded the demo once and didn't find it that useful.
But I nevertheless triggered the snare using Logics 'Audio to Score' Module to create a MIDI track and used that to play back samples of a snare from one of my band's recordings.
This may seem laborious, but you got the advantage that MIDI data is really easily modified. Have a listen to the drums in my mix, I messed with the kick and the snare quite a lot.
I didn't really replace the kick's sound, though, but sampled some hits and used those to replace the old ones instead.

BTW, I downloaded the file from christiaan's server as well and had no problem. I was downloading it through a hi-speed connection at university though, (took me 15 mins.) might have to do with that, I don't know.
I'd offer you to send a copy via snail mail, but considering the fact that I'm sitting in Germany, it doesn't seems like a very good idea....

David

thanks David for the offer.

Probably I should wait for the next one to roll around, as this one seems to have run it course, so to speak.

I'd sure like to see another one posted. I don't especially see any need for any waiting period to happen.

Anyone else have some tracks or think another one might be ready to do the rounds?

wadda ya guys think?... want to do another one?

I will do another if there is a clear cut time limit and no reviews are done till all mixes are posted. Some people might have to work hard to find the time do this stuff.

Kirk

here I am

Sorry for being late but this is the first time I ever mix a song, so it took me some time to... hem.. "find" a software to do this...
Anyway I do it and it seem to sound OK with my 15€ computer speaker (I cannot afford more now)

here the link...

chessrock said:
Frankly, if I have to listen to that song one more time, I'm going to get very sick. Not a knock against the song in any way . . . just the repetition involved when you spend so much time mixing it.

If I ever hear it on the radio I just might pop a cap in it's a$$!:D I cant stand to hear the opening refrain another time.

Last night I had some serious fun trying to make up a really cheesy sounding orchestra (well, basically just strings and an oboe) out of samples to accompany the song. I laughed my ass of, that's for sure.

Anyone else trying to come up with something new? If not, where's the next song?:D

David

Re: here I am

Riccardo said:
Sorry for being late but this is the first time I ever mix a song, so it took me some time to... hem.. "find" a software to do this...
Anyway I do it and it seem to sound OK with my 15€ computer speaker (I cannot afford more now)

here the link...

Hmm.... I don't think you got enough reverb on those vocals! ;)

"Wellllllll Iiiiiii shouldn'tttttttttt have saidddddddddddd thatttttttttttttt..." :p

Also the entire mix sounded dark and somewhat muddy... do you have EQ on your monitors or something?

Re: Re: here I am

Blue Bear Sound said:
Hmm.... I don't think you got enough reverb on those vocals! ;)

"Wellllllll Iiiiiii shouldn'tttttttttt have saidddddddddddd thatttttttttttttt..." :p

Also the entire mix sounded dark and somewhat muddy... do you have EQ on your monitors or something?

Let me start thanking you for listening at my mix...

As I wrote this is my first mix and I'm not a musician, I just like to listen to music, but now it's time to learn so, if you have time and patience, I have some question...

1) About reverb. Are you thinking about a more lasting one or setting a larger amount?

2)about dark sound, I'm not shure what do you intend but may be an attempt to bend the song to what I like (Joy Division, Nick Cave, Soft Cell, Sister of Mercy, Cocteau twins ecc.). If you don't intend this please explain

3)muddy sound, I know, but I don't know how to get out of this

4)EQ on monitors, my monitors are cheap plastic computer speaker, only volume control, I don'know if some EQs are wired in the built-in ampli....

BYE BYE RIK

p.s. sorry for my bad english... :(

Re: Re: Re: here I am

Riccardo said:

1) About reverb. Are you thinking about a more lasting one or setting a larger amount?

actually i think BB was being ironic and ment you need to use less reverb?

Re: Re: Re: Re: here I am

wetteke said:
actually i think BB was being ironic and ment you need to use less reverb?

OOHPS!!!!! :)

I use the smaller preset thinking the guys who programmed the presets know what to do...... :)

I'll trim it down....

Thank you

BYE BYE RIK

Back