Mix contest

I stumbled onto this thread a couple hours ago...I heard lots of cool different approaches from people. So I decided to give it a shot too. Great song. The singing was really good. The snare sound sucked. :) But other than that the tracking was really good.

Hopefully I didn't boost the 125Hz in the bass too much. I gotta get to bed and don't have time to check other systems. But this was good practice, especially since I don't usually get to mix anyone else's stuff. Thanks for the fun and the good music. Cheers!

Tom

More At Ease

What happened to the zip file? I was downloading it and then BAM! no file. It takes me awhile on dialup, around 32 hours. :)

freeztar said:
What happened to the zip file? I was downloading it and then BAM! no file. It takes me awhile on dialup, around 32 hours. :)
If you are downloading it from my server... I don't know... It's still there. I suppose it was probably a time out somewhere down the line...
If you're on dialup, you're probably better off using ftp. That works often better when trying to resume transfers that are cut short.

I thought it would be nice to at least comment on everyone's stuff so far. I hope it doesn't come of like I'm only being negative. Take it for what it's worth - an opinion. :)

Christian - I owed you some comments. I agree that you may have a bit too much reverb on the drums. I think the balance between the instruments is pretty good, except for the bottom. The bass gets lost at times. Also, so far, I think most of us missed how good is sounds when that first electric guitar parts comes in and to have it up in the mix - the way Chessrock did.

Wetteke - Nice. LOL I listened to your whole mix. Then I played everyone else's and couldn't understand why it sounded like I had my tweeters disconnected???

Sae - The vocal up mix - too much IMO. They could probably come down about 3-4db. Ironically, I'm usually guilty of doing this too but in my mix I over-compensated. :-) Maybe a little reverb on the vocals would make your mix sound nicer. You took out that little lead guitar melody right at the end. I found that guitar line needed some help because it was a little thin to be all by itself.

Doug H - With the vocal level up like that, I think the reverb sound doesn't match. It sounds like the vocal is far away, but loud. You know what I'm saying? I think you had some clipping, particularly at 1:23.

Sluice - Not bad, and don't take this the wrong way, but I expected much more from you. I've heard your other stuff and it's way polished. I mean that with respect. :)
I think you have one of the electric guitar tracks out of sync. Check gtr2 (I think it's called) It's a bit late. You have an over at 1:23 also. :-)

chessrock said:

Dude, I must know what kind of reverb / ambience you used on the accoustic guitar on your mix. It sounds great, whatever it is.

Thanks man. I have the track doubled. You know, the straight track panned hard left, and a 15ms delay panned hard right. Then a bit of reverb.

caryindy said:
Sluice - Not bad, and don't take this the wrong way, but I expected much more from you. I've heard your other stuff and it's way polished. I mean that with respect. :)
I think you have one of the electric guitar tracks out of sync. Check gtr2 (I think it's called) It's a bit late. You have an over at 1:23 also. :-)

LOL...sorry to dissapoint man. Not to make excuses, but I gave it under two hours before I went to bed late last night. I don't know if you caught that bit. Not that the song doesn't deserve more either, but my eyes were starting to close so I just exported it and posted. I probably accidently hit that guitar clip and dragged it without realizing it. I'll take your word for it.

[edit]Besides, you know Blue Bear is gonna come along in about a week with the real thing anyway. :)

Have fun!

Last edited:
caryindy said:

Sae - The vocal up mix - too much IMO. They could probably come down about 3-4db. Ironically, I'm usually guilty of doing this too but in my mix I over-compensated. :-) Maybe a little reverb on the vocals would make your mix sound nicer. You took out that little lead guitar melody right at the end. I found that guitar line needed some help because it was a little thin to be all by itself.

I agree that the guitar needed something there but I think that little melody was not it. I didn't really care for it much. I could bring the vocals down a touch and add some verb, but my computer crashed when I added the verb, so I didn't bother putting it in again. My PIII 850 could hardly keep up with 16 tracks, let alone plugins :D

i just listened to chessrocks mix. sounds real good. it's kinda funny that he put keys on it cause i am having my friend do keys on it also.

i think i have to join nowhere radio when i'm done unless someone will let me post my mix on their site or under their name.

i hate joining website things. i dunno. it's right up there with going to the bank.......i just really don't like doing it.

donkeystyle said:
i just listened to chessrocks mix. sounds real good. it's kinda funny that he put keys on it cause i am having my friend do keys on it also.

i think i have to join nowhere radio when i'm done unless someone will let me post my mix on their site or under their name.

i hate joining website things. i dunno. it's right up there with going to the bank.......i just really don't like doing it.

heh, don't feel bad, i've joined nowhere twice the passed 3 years and forgot both passwords, yeah, not much use, sadly...

if chessrocks mix is the one with the effects at the end it beats the 3 i've listened to, i'll get around to them all sometime i expect, i'm amazed i call hear the difference at 192kb, i like this contest idea though, way cool, and everybody being so cool makes it even better ;)

peace...

so yeah i was hearing this awful ring in the floor toms track last night. i couldn't figure out what it was from, but today i was listenign to it agian and realised that it's some kinda weird simpathetic ring triggered by the bass drum. it's bugguing the hell out of me, but at least it's on key.

my friend was supposed to come do keys today.....he blew me off...suck.

Last edited:
donkeystyle said:
so yeah i was hearing this awful ring in the floor toms track last night. i couldn't figure out what it was from, but today i was listenign to it agian and realised that it's some kinda weird simpathetic ring triggered by the bass drum.

I remember that. Gate that shit, man. :D

caryindy said:
Doug H - With the vocal level up like that, I think the reverb sound doesn't match. It sounds like the vocal is far away, but loud. You know what I'm saying? I think you had some clipping, particularly at 1:23.

I had similar after thoughts when I posted. I thought I mixed the bass a little heavy as well.

Some of the mixes I've listened to

chessrock
sweet mix, loud and clear. Wrung a lot of punch out of the tracks, and it really suited the song. All the track sounded great, great mix.

christiaan
Decent mix but a kind of muddy through the full band sections. Snare reverb didn't sit well in the mix for me.

caryindy
Vocals sounded killer, nice work. Overall good full mix.
A little squashed and everything sounded like it was panned either hard left or hard right.

wetteke
Couldn't stand the vocal effect :0. The underlying effect was cool, but there was some scratchy stuff going on that wasn't flying with me. It worked better in the thick of the mix.
Mix was good, and I liked the underwater concept, just had some extreme blips here and there that were kind of jarring. Really bad click about a minute or so in. Laying back a db or two on the treble edge of the vocals and cymbals would have brought this one into the zone for me.

sae
Vocal in front mix, a little too much I think, leaving the band spread pretty thin in the background.

SLuiCe
Bass stands in front of the mix, which sounded pretty good overall. Acoustic treatment brought some highs out but was maybe too extreme. The bridge section sounded great.

Back