Mix contest

can someone go to that ftp. I'm not sure if I did this right. There should be mixing contest.zip file there.

Fenix - I see the file there, cool. Thanks man.

Everyone -
There is no deadline here. This is supposed to be a fun project for anyone who wants to participate. No one is going to get a pat on the back for having the first mix either. IMO, we're looking for quality here. It's what we're always looking to improve and thats what I would want if I were supplying tracks to get mixed.

For anyone who can't tolerate downloading a huge zip file, send me a pm with your address and I'll mail a cd.

Nice tune Fenix!
So are we only doin FTP?? What happened to snail mail?
There is no way I can download 360M, I'm on AOSmell:(

chessrock said:
Alright, I'm not that good with this ftp stuff.

Could someone give this dummy some specific instructions as to how to get there and and download this stuff? :D

Thanks!

You need to go here with internet explorer:

ftp://69.57.181.186

It may prompt you for a user name and password. If not, in IE click "File" then "Login as..."

This hasn't been mentioned but it's certainly worth discussing. I know this is a mix contest, but I'd be interested in hearing both a mix and a mastered version of your mixes as well.

OK, you can do this with internet explorer (or an FTP program)

Go here:
ftp://69.57.181.186/
You'll see a folder called 'incoming' but you're not there yet.

Go to file, 'Login As..."
fill in the username as: hr@ron82.com
and fill in the password as: mixing

You can enable the "save password" box if you don't want to have to type in mixing the next time you log on.
Click 'Log on" and then you should see a folder called 'mixing contest.zip'
You can right-click and copy to a folder on your hard drive.

fenix said:
This hasn't been mentioned but it's certainly worth discussing. I know this is a mix contest, but I'd be interested in hearing both a mix and a mastered version of your mixes as well.

The best mix wouldn't need to be mastered. (speaking in terms of a single song that is) :)

Hey fenix . . . great song!

Few quick qestions for ya:

* Was there any compression, eq or processing of any kind going on during tracking?

* Give us a quick rundown of mic positioning, if you feel like it.

* What kind of rooms were they tracked in?

* Name some of your favorite mixes, and tell us what you like about them (?).

* What kind of sound are you going for, from a production (and specifically mixing) standpoint? Specific examples of bands or productions that are closest to how you would like your project to sound.

Thanks!

chessrock said:
Hey fenix . . . great song!

Few quick qestions for ya:

* Was there any compression, eq or processing of any kind going on during tracking?

* Give us a quick rundown of mic positioning, if you feel like it.

* What kind of rooms were they tracked in?

* Name some of your favorite mixes, and tell us what you like about them (?).

* What kind of sound are you going for, from a production (and specifically mixing) standpoint? Specific examples of bands or productions that are closest to how you would like your project to sound.

Thanks!

Go to page 2 of this thread. I answered most of those questions. :)

It was tracked in a room approximately 14' x 19' carpeted, acoustic ceiling and the walls covered with that expensive acoustic tile stuff.

Mic positioning is just standard close miking, nothing fancy. Although, contrary to most people's tastes i used a spaced pair on the overheads instead of x/y. And I try to put a mic on everything. I know people don't like to put mics on the hats around here, but if you got a decent drummer you can mic it.

As far as what kind of sound I was going for...that's hard. Everyone will hate me for saying this, but I really dig Chris lord alge's and Tom Lord Alge's mixes. Their mixes have a sound to them and everything fits well. You hear a mix and you know if it's a Lord Alge brother on it just by how it sounds. So I try to get that in your face sound but that's not easy to get it to sound good like that with plugins. So that's the view of how I go about mixing almost everything, except some jazz stuff I've done. You can't Lord Alge the jazz stuff it's like an unwritten law or something.

As far as production. I co-produced the first two songs on my nowhereradio site. We took this acoustic songwriter emo guy and totally transformed the songs into full band arrangements. The second song is really cool. I haven't gotten a chance to mix it myself, the guy that owns the studio--he did a rough mix of it, he's not the best. You can tell by comparing the first song on nowhereradio and the second. Both songs were recorded identically in the same session. On the second song, we went to town with a Korg Triton and and Ebow. So from a production standpoint, I tried to emulate how the new Dashboard Confessional cd sounds. They took an acoustic songwriter emo guy and made the songs full band arrangements.

I can see you compressed some of the tracks (bass guitar), and if not, then good job playing evenly and/or under control.

I'm chiming in on this :) sounds like fun. Took me about an hour, haven't listened to the song yet, I"m going to wait till I've got it faders up.

Well, I'm pretty much done with my first rough mix.

I like it a lot.

Great tune. Great musicians. Definitely a little bit of the cure going on somewhere in the singer's voice.

That drum track was a real pain in the arse to edit. Normally I don't have that much difficulty, but there were just a few difficult spots where it was a tad off and it was tough to fix.

I'm not posting it untill I get this thing fine-tuned a bit more.

Back