Mix contest

groucho said:
If you really think that, your ears have a long ways to go my friend.

I don't think he's that far off. Either one of you guys have a case, because it comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Look, I've heard some really good mixes out of Bluebear. And I've even heard a great mix or two of his, so I know what he's capable of.

This, unfortunately, just wasn't one of 'em. Oh well. Can't expect even the best of us to be perfect every time.

Hi

Well here's my mix. I finaly found some time to do it.
Got to get to bed....It's 8.30 AM overhere. I tried to make it a little different but I didn't change much in the song. Thanks for listening and feel free to comment. I don't think It'll be perfect anyway I still have some things that I want to change and some ideas but I leave it for now. I heard some nice, very nice and really good mixes here. I think that BB's is the most professional but I don't think It's the most interesting mix I've heard.

FanTC's Mix

I'll be back
Henry:)

Last edited:
groucho said:
If you really think that, your ears have a long ways to go my friend.

No real point in arguing this one though. Either you can tell the difference or you can't.

Chris

funny how all these guys with their dull sounding uninspired mixes full of issues (including mine) not just think their mix is better than all the rest but can't even hear the difference between a technicaly good mix and a shitty one.

how can you ever learn anything when you aren't willing or capable of LISTENING. aren't your ears supposed to be your nr.1 tool? or are your ego's in the way?

Last edited:
Damn, you're probably going to all say that I'm deaf or that I don't have magical super ears or something, but after listening to all of them again I found the one that fenix did himself to be "the best". Blue Bears approach was super conservative, maybe because he is really old or something. Fenix's own was pretty straight forward, which I think is all that it needs.

wetteke said:
who's been tampering with the echo chamber?

Echo? Ik kan me niet herinneren dat ik echo of delay heb gebruikt. Ik heb wel een chorus/flanger gebruikt, bedoel je dat soms? Of vind je dat er teveel reverb in de mix zit?

Groetjes
Henry

Last edited:
The Seifer said:
Blue Bears approach was super conservative, maybe because he is really old or something.

Uh-oh! :D Yeah, this has to be it, 'cause 38 is almost dead, right?

@FanTC:

Huh? Roken is dodelijk.

nessbass said:
Uh-oh! :D Yeah, this has to be it, 'cause 38 is almost dead, right?

@FanTC:

Huh? Roken is dodelijk.

Maar wel lekker!

Hast du etwas Zeit fuer mich
Dann singe ich ein Lied fuer dich :D

Chibi... not too bad at all - solid mix - maybe slightly too dark sounding.. you could have afforded to sweeten a bit more (excepts the OHs - those were a bit too cutting!)

FanTC... I see where you going with the flanging, but IMO it didn't work... that guitar sounds so nice on it's own, that clouding it with effects to me, seems unnecessary.... also the vocals were too wet for my tastes....

Lemontree.... there is a definite issue with your upper mids -- it sounds like a hole in the frequency spectrum, making the mix sound very thin.

Good efforts all around!

Blue Bear Sound said:
FanTC... I see where you going with the flanging, but IMO it didn't work... that guitar sounds so nice on it's own, that clouding it with effects to me, seems unnecessary.... also the vocals were too wet for my tastes....

You're probebly right. I first need a good sleep before I listen to anny of the other mixes or mine again. It's been a rough week. Thanks for listening.

zzzzsee you zzzzzzsoon

wetteke said:
LOL BB, is there anyone who isen't on your ignore list?
Actually, it's just those 2 who are on it.... I hate using it, but there are some people who have a serious hard-on for trying to piss me off, and they're simply not worth responding to!

And I still don't understand what mixmkr's "war" with me is all about because, to my knowledge, I've never slammed/flamed/or otherwise instigated anything with him personally (until the time he jumped me - which is why he ended-up on my ignore list!), but whatever... :rolleyes:

Blue Bear Sound said:
Chibi... not too bad at all - solid mix - maybe slightly too dark sounding.. you could have afforded to sweeten a bit more (excepts the OHs - those were a bit too cutting!)
I did boost the heck out of the high end on the overheads.....I guess I overdid it. :) Almost all of my mixes come out dark, but I'm so conservative in my mixing that I can't see what is causing that. Do I need compression (I barely used any)? Do I cut the wrong EQ's? The mix as I posted it was more or less just fader balance with mild eq cuts on the bass guitar, mild eq boosts on the snare and vocals, and eq boosting on the overheads. Could my word clock or something with the basic operating nature of my Roland 2480 be responsible for the dark sound?

Chibi Nappa said:
Could my word clock or something with the basic operating nature of my Roland 2480 be responsible for the dark sound?
No - not likely... but your room, your monitors, your ears(!), or all may be a factor to varying degrees!

Flamewar?

Unfortunately I found this thread only the other day. Seems the competition is over and certain people are only interested in pulling each other apart. I thought the idea was for everyone to get a bit of mixing exprience then help each other out with constructive criticism.

Instead my mix got buried and lost by the "my mix is better than your mix" contingent.

I downloaded 17 different mixes of this after completing mine yesterday. I thought the idea was I'd post mine up, offer my comments on all the others and get some feedback from mine too. Isn't that how it works? If it is, here's my mix again........

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3413&alid=-1 More at Ease, top of the page.

If it's not, let me know and save me typing up my oppinions on all the mixes I've downloaded. As a newbie to recording I seen this as a great oppertunity to gain some experience and feedback. Hope it still works that way.

Alec.

Blue Bear Sound said:

Lemontree.... there is a definite issue with your upper mids -- it sounds like a hole in the frequency spectrum, making the mix sound very thin.

Good efforts all around!
Did you not see my post, Lemontree?

Blue bear

Sorry man I missed that. Too much distraction.

I don't have proper monitors yet, they're comming. The mix I uploaded was all done after midnight in the audio technicaATH-M40fs's. I got a real listen today through my 1988 3 way bass reflex AIWA 22 litre SX-Z200's. The upper mids ar hyped so when I think I'm mixing flat I guess I'm not.

I made a few ajustments and updated my mix (same song, just a file update on NRDC), the cans are good (for me) for getting the full stereo image in my head, they suck on depth and perception though.

I'm new, I'm learning and I'm having fun. I'm not charging anyone money for me to mix them so no crime being commited as far as I can see.

Just something I wanted to say about my aproach to the mix. I didn't listen to any the others before I done mine. I tried to listen to the song and get a feel for what was trying to be put across. Most of the mixes I heard had the kit way up front. To me the song was a bit more personal, like the singer with an acoustic guitar. I tried to keep that flowing in my mix with the rest of the band a background acompliment, filling out where I thought it should and falling back again. The lofi kit and deep bass was a further retraction from the singer and the acoustic, reminding the listener what to focus on (a great voice). Same goes for my acoustic and vocal levels at the start of the song, some might say the guitar is too loud. I think it makes you consentrate on the vocals more.
I'd be glad of any further stripping down anyone has to offer. I'll post up my comments on the 17 mixes I downloaded when my ears stop bleeding.

Alec.

First of all, I find it highly disrespectful for people (no names mentioned) to slam other peoples mixes given the fact that we have all spent considerable amounts of time working on this song. As others have already said, let's keep this a learning experience. I think a better title for this thread might have been "mixing contest/clinic", but oh well, some people love competition.

Here are my amateur-ear criticisms of the mixes I have downloaded so far:

Fenix-
Nice Mix! The drums enter a little weird. Vocals are sweet and accented. Backing Vox are a little weak in my opinion, but I like the echos. The rimshots are nice and full. On my cans, the lead guitar lead in the bridge seems to overwhelm the vocals. Vocals at 3:00 sound out of place. The loud vocals after that (3:04) were dealt with nicely. I like how the main vox and backing vox interact there.

BlueBear-
I can't get over that squeaking in the vocals at the beginning. You said that you didn't hear what I was talking about, but it's pretty clear to me. As I said before, very natural sounding mix. There's a weird level drop at 2:10. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something strange is happening there. I like the snare. Cool guitar lead 2 part at the end.

Christiaan-
Overall it sounds a little distant, yet clear. The kick is distracting IMO. Is that reverb on the snare? Sounds half cool and half like a kid's drumset. I think the vocal placement was really nice on this mix. It blends well with everything else and stands out where it needs to. The guitars at the end are a bit hidden, but they don't really need to stand out with the way you mixed the song. I hear a little bit of that squeaking on the vocals, but it's not very noticable. Good mix overall, but I would try and boost the levels a bit to give your mix more power.

Man@Work-
I like the intro levels. Squeking in the VOX is quite noticable though. I'll agree with others in saying that the bass is killer. I like the bass way up front like that, it helps add a kinda Harley feel (if that makes any sense). The backing Vox seem to get lost a lot. The guitar flanging(?) in the bridge is cool and works with your mix. I can barely hear the guitar solos at the end. I like the hat levels. Perhaps pulling the faders down on the acoustic guitar would bring out the chorus a little bit, it sounds crowded in there.

Chessrock-
Good mix! I like your creativity, which helped your mix stand out amongst the rest. The keyboard parts sound good, but maybe a bit too loud. The slowdown is cool, but a bit dirty. I didn't care for the snare, it sounds muddy. The vocals are the strong link in your mix. They really emphasis the vocalist's talent. The outro is way cool. I like how you blended into it. What did you use to get that cool effect on the guitar sustain note leading into it? The rimshots are weak IMO. The chorus is very clean and full, sounds very proffesional.

sae-
After listening to the above mixes, this was very refreshing to hear. It has a very garage band kind of sound, which fits I think. The levels tend to jump a bit though. The vocals sound good way up front, but when there's no singing, the song sounds really weak as a consequence (listen after the first chorus). Try working on the vox at 3:00, they sound distant compared to the rest of the vox on your mix. Also, the squeaking on the vox in the intro is unbearable, to me. The snare is weak, but I like the toms, they were tough, for me at least.

Sluice-
I like the reverb on the acoustic gtr. in the intro, but it's a bit much for the rest of the song. The vox could use some flare, but they work how they are, I didn't do much to mine either. The bridge could use some more backing from the other guitars to add more strength. The chorus sounds a little... I don't know (my ears are starting to become shot now:)). The drumset sounds good overall and seems to be the strong part of your mix. I like the snare, it doesn't sound as muffled as what some other people did to it.

Lemontree-
The levels are kind of low, but maybe that's just because I listened to a bunch of compressed mixes and yours is not as compressed (if at all?). Nonetheless, the relative levels work. I like the guitar on the bridge(chorus), but I would have liked to have heard more of that in the rest of the song to make it meld better. The drums enter kind of weak, and they stay that way through most of the song. The snare is... not very snarey:). Try adding some more effects to other parts to round out your sound. The ending could use some beefing up.

I hope these comments help. I didn't comment on EQ, panning, etc. because I wanted this post to remain somewhat small (hopefully someone will fill in on these missing points). Take them for what they are, one person's viewpoint. If I was unclear or you didn't undertsand my comments, let me know and I'll try to clarify. In ending, all of the mixes have room to grow, which is a good thing. That is what we are all here for (I hope). Keep it up and let's do this again sometime.
-Keith

Back