Mix Contest 200 lashes

Nicole,
I'll help with the judging if you like. Can I remain anonymous? Sorry bad joke.
yeah, I'll help, I enjoyed this song when posted in the songwriting threads and it's good to see it get some more air time. I'm impressed also at your generosity in letting folk fiddle with the piece - brave step but, as example thus far show, a fresh perspective can be very rewarding.
Let me know what & when.

I downloaded the file, and loaded into Reaper. Did some intial edits to get rid of extraneous noise, and I am going to start mixing it later today. Should have something to share around suppertime tonight. :cool:

Nice song, Nicole. I am going to have fun with this.

Nicole,
I'll help with the judging if you like. Can I remain anonymous? Sorry bad joke.
yeah, I'll help, I enjoyed this song when posted in the songwriting threads and it's good to see it get some more air time. I'm impressed also at your generosity in letting folk fiddle with the piece - brave step but, as example thus far show, a fresh perspective can be very rewarding.
Let me know what & when.

Thanks Ray :)

does anyone want to volunteer to be a judge?

I downloaded the file, and loaded into Reaper. Did some intial edits to get rid of extraneous noise, and I am going to start mixing it later today. Should have something to share around suppertime tonight. :cool:

Nice song, Nicole. I am going to have fun with this.

awesome Rokket :)

it doesn't quite feel like it's lined up properly. but i found it very interesting that you put the lead guitars on the left and the rhythm on the right. :)

Is the not-lining-up thing part of the challenge (this is a contest, after all :D)? If not, I'll post my take on the best way to get around the issue.

edit: I posted before listening to AMcB's mix -- I dunno, it's lined up a lot better than most of my attempts :D

Last edited:
i don't know why the lining up would be difficult. ever track starts at the same place. i loaded them all into reaper before putting them into the rar file and they lined up perfectly just by inserting them at the beginning of hte track. :(

i don't know why the lining up would be difficult. ever track starts at the same place. i loaded them all into reaper before putting them into the rar file and they lined up perfectly just by inserting them at the beginning of hte track. :(
The count in by the drums may be throwing people off...

nice mixes -- it's going to be brutal contest -- I can feel those

ten toonies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonie (I just looked that up)

slipping through my fingers! --- aarrrr! <-- edit: I added the pirate sound after my initial post

When I slapped all the wav files into my DAW, the drum tracks were maybe 8 measures behind everything else. At first, I thought there was supposed to be an extended drum outro.

nice mixes -- it's going to be brutal contest -- I can feel those

ten toonies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonie (I just looked that up)

slipping through my fingers! --- aarrrr! <-- edit: I added the pirate sound after my initial post

When I slapped all the wav files into my DAW, the drum tracks were maybe 8 measures behind everything else. At first, I thought there was supposed to be an extended drum outro.
Same here. It dawned on me to push them back and that's when the bridge speaking part made sense.

Frig! No wonder the timing is so screwy.

Oh well, I did a five minute mix - maybe I'll try and go back and fix the timing tomorrow....

:eek:

Frig! No wonder the timing is so screwy.

Oh well, I did a five minute mix - maybe I'll try and go back and fix the timing tomorrow....

:eek:
Hey Gunnar! I uploaded this one originally as a 320mp3 on lightningmp3, but I never received the email confirmation. :confused:

Interesting. I didn't really feel like it was right I though wow this band has some major timing issues, then I listened to the first mix and I was like ohhhhhh I see. But I still couldn't get it to sound right.

Interesting. I didn't really feel like it was right I though wow this band has some major timing issues, then I listened to the first mix and I was like ohhhhhh I see. But I still couldn't get it to sound right.
I cheated a bit: I lined up the last kick and cymbal crash with the last note of the bass... ;)

Back