Mix checking methology?

"Methology!" Are you from West Virginia? :)

Alright! We're kindred spirits. That wasn't supposed to sound gay.

There was this moment of akwardness when I was telling the contractors that I wanted a soundproof room in my basement. At first I thought that they thought that I wanted some sort of basement torture chamber where I asked overweight girls to put lotion on their skin. Then the guy piped up and said that it's when clients ask for a tile room with a drain in the center that they start to worry. That's when I asked them how much stainless steel meat hooks would cost :D

There was this moment of akwardness when I was telling the contractors that I wanted a soundproof room in my basement. At first I thought that they thought that I wanted some sort of basement torture chamber where I asked overweight girls to put lotion on their skin. Then the guy piped up and said that it's when clients ask for a tile room with a drain in the center that they start to worry. That's when I asked them how much stainless steel meat hooks would cost :D

Well? What was the estimate on the meat hooks? :)

I guess the contractors in Middle America look out for people. Most of the ones I've dealt with here in the Northeast have just taken two weeks longer than they said it would to finish the job and charged me twice the original estimate. And showed up drunk. He was lucky I was drunk too! :)

So like yeah....I also still track to tape. I have a really sweet Otari 2". Then I dump the tape tracks to the DAW for edits/processing...then mix out of the DAW through the console, etc, etc.

What area of the Jersey shore are you in?
I use to live in a few places in NJ from the early '60s through the early '80s. Last place was down in central Jersey, Jamesburg (between East Brunswick/Englishtown/Hightstown).
Use to hit the Asbury clubs in my misguided youth. I had some good times in NJ during my band years...the clubs were fun back then, and lots of good bands to go see.

Sweet tape machine - Otari 2" tape very nice. What's tape running these days like $300-$500 ?

Lol...I am right near Sea Side Heights. I spent the entire 80"s playing in bands in most of clubs all along the shore. We probably played in a lot of the same places. Asbury Park was a S@#$hole back then but had a lot of good bars, very different now; the Stone Pony still survives. The Jersey shore had a really cool music scene, really good bars, and really good bands. Small world.

Last edited:
out of interest have you tried setting the output to -1dBFS? because it will sound a lot better on soundcloud that way, and especially when converted to mp3.

The Kjarhus plug-in doesn't even give that option - it's a simple one knob limiter that maxes at 0.3dB, which is why I was asking how to operate the Denisty limiter.

"Methology!" Are you from West Virginia? :)
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express in Charleston, WV a couple of years ago. Shouldn't have drank the water! :facepalm:

So, I get that running the mix thorugh the Limiter is NOT a good idea for tweaking the mix because proper mastering would typically run a compression stage first - which would most likely tame those problem things (like the cymbals) popping out when limited.
Guess I'll just go back to bumping the volume up, but I did like the way the overall volumes got evened up with the limiter.

You can put a couple compressors on the 2buss. Don't hit them too hard through; just helps glue the mix together. I routinely have 3 compressors (2 SSL & 1 multi band) on the 2buss and maybe have total compression of 3-4 dB. Multiple compressors are more transparent and that's just my process. Remember if you compress too much you are eating into the headroom mastering engineers (or plug-in) have to work with.

As for things popping out I would take care of that in the mix. Bussing the drums together after they are mixed and putting an EQ on the buss to cut a bit is one way to address. Another is simple volume automaton on the overheads or cymbal mic(s) .

Back