Mic Pre HELP!

mousedadrummer

Junior Engineer
Ok, ive been recording for a while now, starting to get a good collection of gear. Up until now, i have been relying on the pres built into my recording interface, an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire and my Behringer UB802 mixer. I have been researching pre amps and kinda set my mind on the M audio DMP3, it looks good, two channels and lots of good reviews, but before i part with my money i just want to ask, will it really increase the quality of my recordings as much as people have said on this recording forum and others????

Some of the recordings ive made can be found at:
www.myspace.com/onlyofyouuk

my mic list is as follows:

Rode NT1
Takstar PCM 6100 x2
Shure SM57 x2
Sennheiser e604
Akg D112
And a few other cheap mics that i only occasionally use

Thanks

If you don't find a marked improvement over the core sound through a DMP3 (vs. a Berry stock preamp) then you're doing something else drastically wrong.

Granted - It's an additive thing with many people. A lot of people I know can't just go "wow - that preamp sounds so much better" when you A/B them a track. But when you lay down a dozen tracks - or two dozen - that difference stacks up to be rather apparent.

I dig my DMP3. I just had it about a week, and I'm loving it. It is very useful and transparent in my opinion. Previously I've used an Allen & Heath Mixwizard, Zed-14, an Art Tube MP, Behringer Euro mixers & Yamaha MG Mixers. A buddy of mine has an Avalon 737 pre with all the bells and the whistles. True it sounds decent for that price range, but oftentime people in music are distracted by seeking "professionalism" to cosign their tracks, when in essence the pioneering spirit should be championed...

just my $0.02

good luck with the recording!
www.reverbnation.com/losianthelostpoet

Good point danico4not! There's so much boring...even unlistenable, music produced with $10,000.00 or more worth of equipment. Not just pop and rock and hip hop, but classical and jazz too. People lose site of the fact that it's the song/performance that is by far the most important ingredient in the mixture. I guess it's a lot easier to throw money at your tracks than to actually come up with a great song/performance. We get obsessed with gear cause it's the easy way out, I think. ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/lejaz

Back