mic my drumms for cheep

thecuriouscouch

i have a verry limited budget, and i was kinda wondering if i could just use regular dynamic mics to control my toms kick and snare? or should i get 2 small diaphragm condencers and have 2 channels, or just get a large condencer. with the condencers i would obvously find somthing to mic my bass drum with. whata think. thanks.

It's unusual to use condenser mics to close mic drums because of their pokey response to transients. You'd do better seeing how good you can get the dynamics to sound. Remember, if you put 'em up and they don't sound like you want them to, move them a little bit and it may make a BIG difference.

ssscientist said:
Yeah! And we're going to have four more years of W.! How 'bout that!
I really don't think you are correct about the transient response. The reason you use a dynamic is because of the slower resopnse of the dynamic. Sort of built in compression.

so what about 2 condencers and a dynamic for the kick, would the levels of the toms and simbals be out of control? or would it be pretty even

well i could allways save and get stuff, but i was thinking $100-150 for it. but im shure i could ebay stuff i just need some good ideas

I will tell you what I like but hte sound is kind of limited. I use a pzm attached to a big sheat of plexi glass hanging from my ceiling.It kind of gives you a really big "When the leeve breaks"(Zeppelin) sound. I have a couple more mics I usually place in diffrent positions if I want a diffrent sound but if you place a pzm right you can get a pretty good drum sound. IMO

Ebay this. shure sm57 for snare Shure beta 52 or akg d-112 for kick and 2 condensers for toms and cymbals.

Back