Memories-new song-slow blues

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
It's been quite a while since I've posted anything new-I wrote this song a few years ago and wanted to record it with some modern technology-I have a 4 track version of it from the early days.

What parts does it need in there? I am not sure what to add though.....

Anyway, please give it a listen and comment-what to add, what to take out..............Thanks in Advance--Tony:D

Here's the link------
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8145474

I think the drums are too loud (snare not sidestick). That's it mix wise....
Love the vocals, very bluesy and cool... Well arranged and produced, nice and clean.

Guitars sound excellent...
- panned with the phaser/flange?
- the harmony guitars and the solo lead have nice bright tones which give a nice variety to the song - like a voicing.
- mando adds even more variety.

One of my favorites - what other gems do you have hiding on that 4 track

:cool::cool::cool:

Nice song, I especially like the vocals, some good emotional singing. I think they can come up a tad, match the level of the guitar solo's. Which by the way is beautifully played, very melodic.. I wish I could solo like that!!

The drum beat gets boring after a while and I think you throw the side-stick groove in the wrong places. Just doesn't seem to fit where you've got it. I think you use ezdrummer (sounds like my drummer is moonlighting on me!!) and you can go in a do some serious edits to get the grooves to sound more real.

cool man!!!!

I think the drums are too loud (snare not sidestick). That's it mix wise....
Love the vocals, very bluesy and cool... Well arranged and produced, nice and clean.

Guitars sound excellent...
- panned with the phaser/flange?
- the harmony guitars and the solo lead have nice bright tones which give a nice variety to the song - like a voicing.
- mando adds even more variety.

One of my favorites - what other gems do you have hiding on that 4 track

:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks Gerry, I sure need to rework those drums-the music computer has some been having problems these days but I'm not quiet ready to retire the old girl yet!
One of the guitars has a phaser effect-the harmonies are a Fernandes Strat copy-which gets more use than my Fender Strats do, actually. The solo is a Tele copy and the tremolo guitar is a Gibson Melody Maker, it has a single P-90 in the bridge-very simple but very sweet tones!
The mandolin will probably get re-recorded-the dogs decided they wanted to be on this song and I only got a rough track-the barkfest was on!!!!:rolleyes:

Nice song, I especially like the vocals, some good emotional singing. I think they can come up a tad, match the level of the guitar solo's. Which by the way is beautifully played, very melodic.. I wish I could solo like that!!

The drum beat gets boring after a while and I think you throw the side-stick groove in the wrong places. Just doesn't seem to fit where you've got it. I think you use ezdrummer (sounds like my drummer is moonlighting on me!!) and you can go in a do some serious edits to get the grooves to sound more real.

cool man!!!!

Oh, Oh! I didn't know she was you're drummer-she didn't mention you at all!!!:eek:
;)Anyway, thanks for the compliments, the vocal was recorded with A SP B1 condenser-I feel like I'm singing into a soda can. Yeah, the harmonized solo sections were a bit tricky-the nuances of the notes-the attack and the sustain had to be addressed, the Tele solo wasn't quite as tricky luckily.

There should definitely be some drum edits for this song in the future-sorry you had to find out about you're drummer this way.....:(

:p Thanks for the comments, Dave!:D

Hey Tony!

This sounds real sweet. I agree with the comments about the snare (a bit hot) and the vox (they could come up a tad). I love the guitar parts--very layered and textured, but there's still a good amount of air in there.

Nice job!

Bob

The drums...oh yah, you should let Chili have the cheatin' wench back Frankenstrat!:D

I would really love to hear a real drummer on this Tony...I love the feel of the song...lots of bluesy heart feelin' going on.

The eclectic guitar harem is great! All those lead pickins sound good.

I have a soft spot for Mandolins...they give that gypsy feel to it...free and easy wild...and I like how the guitars in the background while the mandolin has it's shine, sound like voices...

The snare as it is, is where it should be to me...but I'm sorta strange in my taste of sounds, settings, and mix..why does everything have to measure up to "normal"...it brings about "boring" eventually.

Your vocals fit the song perfectly too...

I don't get to listen around here much anymore, due to either lack of time, disrupted concentration ..or ablility to crank it up...good to have this moment to listen.

Nice tune, Tony!
Very nice singing with lotsa feel. I like the drums out front and your samples sound pretty good. Like the guys said, I would try to give them a more human touch. Are those ready loops that you just import into your DAW? I would try to programme them myself, using the drum map or the piano roll. Takes hours, but it's worth it...oh yeah, DON'T quantise!
Guitars and mando sound wonderful. Very good recording and a nice listen.

Joey :):):):)

Yeah, this sounds very nice man :D.

I'm not digging the drum sound too much personally, but everything else is sounding good. The vocals in particular are emotive beyond what I remember of your singing in the past...nice job.

Washed out rhythm guitars sound really cool as do the lead guitars plus the mandolin!

I guess I just wish the drums had a little more meat to 'em, plus there's something about the loping beat that throws me off in relation to the stringed instruments. I'm listening on a laptop though, so that doesn't help :o:).

Hey Tony!

This sounds real sweet. I agree with the comments about the snare (a bit hot) and the vox (they could come up a tad). I love the guitar parts--very layered and textured, but there's still a good amount of air in there.

Nice job!

Bob

Thanks a lot Bob, I need some work on the drum loops and the mandolin, I think I mentioned earlier that the dogs wanted to audition during the mandolin tracking.....:eek:
Here are the 2 varmints trying to look innocent-----

Attachments

• Houdini Girl.jpg
    Houdini Girl.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Pepper-2.jpg
    Pepper-2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 28
The drums...oh yah, you should let Chili have the cheatin' wench back Frankenstrat!:D

I would really love to hear a real drummer on this Tony...I love the feel of the song...lots of bluesy heart feelin' going on.

The eclectic guitar harem is great! All those lead pickins sound good.

I have a soft spot for Mandolins...they give that gypsy feel to it...free and easy wild...and I like how the guitars in the background while the mandolin has it's shine, sound like voices...

The snare as it is, is where it should be to me...but I'm sorta strange in my taste of sounds, settings, and mix..why does everything have to measure up to "normal"...it brings about "boring" eventually.

Your vocals fit the song perfectly too...

I don't get to listen around here much anymore, due to either lack of time, disrupted concentration ..or ablility to crank it up...good to have this moment to listen.

Ah.........Ms. LeTrue always my #1 fan!;)
Yes, I would love to get a real drummer on the track-it sure would make a world of difference.
And the latest guitar addition is in the mix-a Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker is on the track with the heavy tremolo-my wife actually placed the winning bid on it for me. Here's the Melody Maker.....a single P-90 pickup and a tune-o-matic bridge.........it is simple but sure is a sweet guitar!
2004MelodyMaker-crop.jpg

You can see the mandolin situation explained in my comment to White Strat above^
Thanks for the vocal compliment-I think Em must be a better key for me.

Nice tune, Tony!
Very nice singing with lotsa feel. I like the drums out front and your samples sound pretty good. Like the guys said, I would try to give them a more human touch. Are those ready loops that you just import into your DAW? I would try to programme them myself, using the drum map or the piano roll. Takes hours, but it's worth it...oh yeah, DON'T quantise!
Guitars and mando sound wonderful. Very good recording and a nice listen.

Joey :):):):)

That's a really big compliment-you're tracks are always great, they are practically on fire, they are so hot!!;)
Yeah, I was using EZDrummer and it's a lot of rock beats-I probably need more bluesy or ballady stuff for this one.
Mandolin will be redone-hopefully for the better!

Yeah, this sounds very nice man :D.

I'm not digging the drum sound too much personally, but everything else is sounding good. The vocals in particular are emotive beyond what I remember of your singing in the past...nice job.

Washed out rhythm guitars sound really cool as do the lead guitars plus the mandolin!

I guess I just wish the drums had a little more meat to 'em, plus there's something about the loping beat that throws me off in relation to the stringed instruments. I'm listening on a laptop though, so that doesn't help :o:).

I need to learn to think like a drummer and choose the parts that will properly make the song work.
I remember for the vocals I tried out several different mics-several condensers and a ribbon-one of the condensers just seemed to give the vocals a bit more presence than the others.
It was a cheap japanese Strat that I used or the rhythm and lead parts-my Fenders were just too bright for the track...
Thank a lot, and your latest song is a killer-great stuff, heatmiser!!

Wouldn't mind a link where I don't get bombarded with popups.
How about trying Lightningmp3 dot com.

Nice laid back sound.

Sorry about those popups-it's definitely gotten worse lately! I'll look into Lightning mp3.
Thanks for the listen, glad you like it!

A nice mellow song.
You do need to work on the drum levels.
I'm not a big fan of the rhythm guitar effect - but it works.
The twin solo is very cool & the solo solo builds from it really nicely.
I enjoyed the listen very much.

I think the computer drums are very workable, I would just like to hear more variety in the drum part. The sound itself is fine.

Great guitar sounds, love the lead parts.

Matt

Back