Something For Me - modern blues rock

andrushkiwt

Hey everyone, since watching the Beatles Get Back on Apple, I got extremely inspired to write music that was different than the alternative stuff I was doing before - the chords changes and landscapes created in the music of the 60's was something that, I'm ashamed to say, was new to me, or at least I saw it in a different light after seeing how similar the writing process of music from that time is to how I write today. One instrument, strum chords, hum the vocal melody that comes to mind, put together other instrumentation. But one difference from then to now was the chord types used and how they effect the changes in the tone of the music. I loved the idea of moving to 7th chords, diminished chords, and walking bass lines - lots of things that have disappeared from modern music, not entirely but surely much less so.

Anyhow, here is one of 10 songs/mixes I have been working on for the past year or two. I think they're in a state that can be more widely shared. This one, in particular, was created with the idea of a female lead vocal in a 50's jazz-night club style. I imagine a dark seedy bar, spotlight shining on the vocalist, and people wearing fedoras, smoking cigars :)

Please feel free to share what you think of the mix and quality of the recording, thank you

additional info:

Larivee acoustic L and R via RodeM3
Gibson electric through digitech GNX3000, various vintage amp/cab models
PBass through digitech GNX3000
toontrack vintage set
vocals, sm7b
reverb - abbey road plates
master bus - TG12345 and abbey road saturator -> j37 -> SSL compressor slow settings -> Waves L1 ultramax

I really like the edge-of-breakup guitar that's in the center during the intro. Like how that plays with the doubled guitars on the edges of the mix.

Listening further really all the guitars sound nice.

Bass sounds nice.

Nice instrumentation.

Only two nits...
The snare is a little slappy and wimpy sounding.
The lead vocal is just a bit strong in the mid-2Ks.

But that's about it. It sounds nice.

Works for me. Mind you I'm a sucker for seedy bars. Like that addition of that guitar around 1.40. Nice lead break. Vocals are very good. The acoustic guitar might be a little strident. I like how you ditched it completely in the 2nd half of the song. Cool jam

Back