Melodic Metal mix advice needed

I listened to both mixes.

To me the right level for the drums is somewhere in between the two. The drums are too low in the first mix, and too loud in the second.

The guitars in the second mix seem a little bit brighter. I liked that a bit more. I thought the main rhythm guitars were a little cloudy and had just a bit too much gain dialed.

I think the lead guitar should come up a little bit. It's pretty low in the mix. Except for the section shortly after the 2 min mark. It was at a good level there.

The bass had a little bit of a sterile tone. Not enough midrange. Mostly low end and clicky/twangy attack on the upper end.

This are mostly minor complaints, it's not too bad.

Good tight doubled guitars.

I listened to bits and pieces of all 3.

The big thing I'm noticing is that the drums sound weak. They're not necessarily too quiet, they just don't have a big, powerful tone. Especially the snare.

How are you processing your drums? Purely e-drums? Drum replacement? All analog?

You're making the number 1 most common mistake of a beginner (I know cause I'm a beginner myself and I did this a lot): You overhype the bass guitar and the kick drum. The bass guitar is WAY too loud. And I mean not just a bit louder, its way too loud than anything else. So is the kick drum (not as loud as bass though). Before you move on to mixing you have to get the levels done properly first. Wear headphones, turn off equalizations/whatever effects you have and try to get the levels right. To the untrained ear bass isnt very easy to discern in most professional mixes. Thats the level that your bass guitar should be at. At a level where it is just working as 1 with the guitars, filling up the low end that they lack. You will almost not hear it, but you will feel its absence instantly if you mute it. That's how you will know bass is set right.

The best metal mixing guide series on youtube are this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYh4kCUj9-w
Start at the beginning and you'll learn a lot. I'd also suggest using his levels/inserts for superior drummer if you want to make your drums sound more real.

Best advice I have for you other than watching those series and applying it to your mixes is import a professional metal mix in your DAW and compare them. Your ear is your best friend.

are the overheads and cymbals centered? it seems this way - gives the mix a hollow sound. should be wider than it is coming off. spread those toms and cymbals out, for starters. there's too much gain/input on the guitars, IMO. they could come down a touch too. the spacing of everything is the first thing that seemed off to me and made it sound incomplete.

The guitar level is fine honestly. The mix will instantly sound a lot better if he just turns down the bass about 2.5-3dB

Yeah the cymbals are centered as the drum kit was recorded with 2mics, the whole idea was to record a metal band with 2 mics.

I hear the volume going up and down on my headphones. Is it just me or is this breathing a little? Love the guitar sound and playing is great. I read the bass/kick comment and I think he could be right - although it fills the bottom it may be a bit high for this type of song. The cymbals being centered are a matter of preference - I don't have any issues with your placement.

All the mixes sounded the same to me accept for one thing or anything being louder or not. Every mix sounds boxy and dull. Things need to be brightened up and more sparkly. :guitar:

Back