MD 441 repair

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone could help me repair a MD441 (sennheiser) . The red wire just came off due to bad soldering (an i do mean really bad soldering, i suspect they replaced the old DIN (?) with XLR...), which is easy enough to fix. However, the bass roll-off switch just shut s the mic down instead of doing what it's supposed to do... not that of a biggie, but i would sure like to fix it...

Thanks! btw I need a clip for the md441 too... I suspect sennheizer will charge a fortune, does anyone know a cheaper spare parts place?

I used to own those things....

Hi, I sold a pair of those senns about 25 years ago... as I recall the switch was a "roller barrel" sort of contraption around the bottom end near the connector? Mine were prone to jamming sometimes, I think they overcomplicated that design...Is it mechanically stuck? Or is there some electrical contact involved? I am going on old memory here... do you know how to solder? .... Yeah, german parts man, you are in for outrageous pricing, I would fabricate my own mount from something else, modify a shure or generic spring clamp clip, but don't pay hundreds for the brand name...Later RE

thanks! that's not to expensive...

thinking about getting theat new cheap ribbon too, might get it in one order.. and save on transport... LOL

guhlenn said:
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone could help me repair a MD441 (sennheiser) . The red wire just came off due to bad soldering (an i do mean really bad soldering, i suspect they replaced the old DIN (?) with XLR...), which is easy enough to fix. However, the bass roll-off switch just shut s the mic down instead of doing what it's supposed to do... not that of a biggie, but i would sure like to fix it...

Thanks! btw I need a clip for the md441 too... I suspect sennheizer will charge a fortune, does anyone know a cheaper spare parts place?

I have a 441 in the post, I'll let you know how its wired when it arrives :)

Lots of thing in the post actually I wish my beyer M88 would hurry up and get here its been three weeks already!

I have a 421 U5 that I want to take apart and inspect, but I can't figure out how to get it open. I don't want to mess anything up. Anyone know how to get this sucker open?

EleKtriKaz said:
I have a 421 U5 that I want to take apart and inspect, but I can't figure out how to get it open. I don't want to mess anything up. Anyone know how to get this sucker open?

If I remember correctly there's a small screw under the little plate with the serialnumber, remove that plate and you'll be able to take it apart.

To my knowledge there are (or have been) four different versions of the Sennheiser MD441—the 441N that has the three pin DIN, the 441-2 that has a three pin Tuchel (and no roll-off filter), the 441U that has a three pin XLR, and finally the U3 which is the same as the 441U less the roll-off filter. If your mic was converted to an XLR from DIN whoever did the retrofit would need to know that the wiring scheme is not the same. On the DIN connector pin 2 is ground, whereas on the XLR pin 1 is ground. I don’t remember the color scheme but if you have your mic apart it’s easy enough to determine which wires are going to the voice coil.

As for the clip, there are two—an expensive clear one, and a black one that won't set you back as much.

great! that's the info i needed. I suspecrt that the rewiring has gone bad... Do you knwo where i can purchase the inexpensive one... ? Anyway, thanks alot!

Not completely sure but i think i saw 441 N... so that woudl solve my problem. There were only two wires coming form the inside to the XLr connector, that is correct? (sorry but i'm a-technical ) :o

There should be three wires, I believe. I'm pretty certain that blue and red should be on pins 2 and 3, respectively, and there should be a black wire that ties to pin 1.

I don't know where you can find a black clip, off hand, but I'm sure if you contact Sennheiser they'll shoot you that info.

thanks again, i misread you post on the black clip, i thought the clear one was less expensive. I know where to get the black clip.

Thanks to all of you, feel free to add.

G :) *very happy about this community*

Back