MayFlower (Acoustic)

andrushkiwt

I have a couple more acoustic songs in the mixing stage right now, all newer versions of older songs. This is the way this was originally written and planned, but I previously jumped right in to doing electric versions. Anyways, I'd be interested in hearing how anyone thinks this turned out. I can understand how the violin might compete with the vocal in places, but it's essential to the tune and its subject matter, on a personal level. I tried my best to make them both fit and not step on each other, mostly in how it's written/programmed. Much softer when vocal is going, then up a few notches in solo mode. Bass is just there for support of root chords, nothing else really.

Bury me, the words you wrote and gone tomorrow,
you'll be alright.
I follow you to see the sun set out your window,
but it burns too bright.

I can't recall the time I wasted all to myself,
and let you go.

What a tense situation I
caught you in, an indication
of where you hide.
Paint a picture your picture can
be of the one you know adores you,
but you'll be alright.

As the time passes on
without a moment,
I don't realize I follow you,
a second rate calculation
to end it right.

I won't beg to be the last one
who knows what's in your head.
I want back the time I wasted
and all I could've had.

I would like to hear the violin up a db or two when everything else is going on. But I like the violin so it may just be my own personal preference speaking. As far as the bass goes, I could not hear it at all unless I kicked my subs into overdrive. The vocals, lyrics and strumming, was suburb as always and was extremely pleasant to listen to.

I would like to hear the violin up a db or two when everything else is going on. As far as the bass goes, I could not hear it at all unless I kicked my subs into overdrive.

I did turn the violin down, because it was competing a bit w the vocal. And good about the bass. I didn't want it that audible, but it was very noticeable in the DAW whenever the bass was muted. So far so good, thanks Mack.

Don't have any. Sens HD280 Pro.

You the Man Brother! You just confirmed what I have been saying and it shows in your mixes! Now I am going to bookmark your post and use it for future reference/direction for others. Thanks.

EDIT: I want to clarify my statement above as it was the result of the post below this one. I meant this as the highest form of flattery I use and it is seldom given out on this level. The fact that the OP has some of the best music produced in this community and he does it by using a walk-in closet as his track room, shows experience. The fact that he mixes on headphones, shows he has the knowledge that he would be wasting his money trying to go the "Sound Treatment & Mons" route.

The quote I made above, "Now I am going to bookmark your post and use it for future reference/direction for others. Thanks", is for the next time someone new has a question concerning how can they record and mix due to their environment, I can simply say: "Go to this post and listen to this guy. He records in a walk in closet using a $79.00 condenser mic and mixes on headphones, he has a great sound". I hope this clarifies my post.

Last edited:
You the Man Brother! You just confirmed what I have been saying and it shows in your mixes! Now I am going to bookmark your post and use it for future reference/direction for others. Thanks.

What's that? That headphone mixes are inferior to monitor mixes? I'm already aware. Don't have the space or room for monitors. They'd be a wasted investment until I can install stands, reorganize the room, and install treatment. In an apartment until grad school is finished. Working with what I've got.

The mix sounds good overall. The lead vocal sounds a little behind (depth-wise) the acoustic guitar, though. Is there delay or reverb on it? I'd lower all depth effects for a mix like this except on the backing vocals. Bass level is good for this type of mix.

The mix sounds good overall. The lead vocal sounds a little behind (depth-wise) the acoustic guitar, though. Is there delay or reverb on it? I'd lower all depth effects for a mix like this except on the backing vocals. Bass level is good for this type of mix.

I think there is a delay on it, I have to look again, can't remember if I kept if or not. Thanks

Yeah, man! That's great. You got that string pad sounding good. The mix is balanced and clear. The acoustic on the left could come down a dB or two. I'd like to hear it with less processing on the lead vocal. Every now and again I'm a sort of warbling on the vocal, like something out of phase.

It's striking how much better things sound when you get the VST instruments out of the picture. That harshness just isn't a problem in the real miked instruments. For me, a huge difference in your sound is not having those crash cymbals ringing over the mix like a big sonic blanket of ugly. It is so much more open without them.

.. Every not and then I'm hearing a kind of warbling thing going on, like something out of phase..

That is, 100%, without a doubt, the doubled vocal sticking out too much in spots. Its compressed pretty hard, but still poking through.

Thnx Ray

Very good. Vocal is quite nice.

String section sounds very good.

My only complaint is a minor one... The acoustic rhythm guitar sounds a bit too bright and a bit in front of the vocal. I might try to notch out something in the mid-2Khz range.

But everything else sounded great.

EDIT: I want to clarify my statement above as it was the result of the post below this one. I meant this as the highest form of flattery I use and it is seldom given out on this level.

Oh, thanks Mack. I appreciate that. I wasn't sure at first which way you meant it, but thanks for clarifying. That means a lot to me. Thank you.

My only complaint is a minor one... The acoustic rhythm guitar sounds a bit too bright and a bit in front of the vocal. I might try to notch out something in the mid-2Khz range.

Ok thanks. Yeah this was my 2nd attempt at seriously mixing an acoustic, let alone as the primary instrument. I'm still playing with it for upcoming tunes. One thing I've found thus far, through more than this post, is that the acoustic tone/sound is just as subjective as the damn electric sound! ha. Many ppl have had different opinions on how deep/bright/middy/forward/present etc it should sound. Yet, oddly enough, each comment/opinion weighs in on my progression in mixing stuff.

thanks man

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought so.

Yeah, it's a combination of the lead vocal being slightly more quiet in a particular spot and the doubled vocal being slightly louder in that exact same spot. Combing over every line's volume would help, but man I don't have the patience for that sometimes. Plus it's weird because the doubled vocal is -10db, compared to lead, and it's also compressed harder. Still, through all that, it occasionally pops out too much. There's only slight EQ, de-ess, verb, and 2 phases of compression on the lead vocal.

I typically set my doubles -18db below the lead, and I still hear the interaction sometimes. I've actually been using doubles less lately, just for that reason.

If you're going to use the doubles, you just need to go through them line by line with the vocal and double soloed. Once you get it sorted out, trying compressing the two and rendering them together as a single track. That way, you'll never have to worry about it again.

Once you get it sorted out, trying compressing the two and rendering them together as a single track. That way, you'll never have to worry about it again.

That frightens me. Commitment! Ha. I make so many incremental tweaks over the week or two I spend on these mixes, that I don't know if I could commit to it so early.

Commitment is the way to go, IMO, the earlier the better. That's why I always track guitar effects. It's especially a good thing if you have a habit of tinkering, which in your case is extreme. ;)

But you've still got the original lead and double tracks to fall back on if you decide later that something has to change.

Man...this sounds like a pro recording!
I dont think the mix needs anything at all. Great vocals and really good song. Acoustic is clean and not boomy but has a lot of punch. It's really hard to get that.
Superb job andrush!

Back