Mastering: The DIY Guide

I got to see that post last night. Funniest thing I've ever read.

Oh man I wish i would have been on this sit a loonnng time ago lol. this thread is so funny "when you have one big block of color" congratulations you have achieved a abbey road quality master! hahaha! omg i love this form. Honestly for a master audio region color i think yellow works the best! cuz its elvis's fav color.

So I read the entire thread and still have no clue what exactly mastering is or how this thread got sticky. I did however learn that an individual TRIED to answer one of my questions and got ripped apart by people who didn't offer any usable answers themselves. In sum, this whole thread is very humorous but otherwise worthless.

So I read the entire thread and still have no clue what exactly mastering is or how this thread got sticky. I did however learn that an individual TRIED to answer one of my questions and got ripped apart by people who didn't offer any usable answers themselves. In sum, this whole thread is very humorous but otherwise worthless.

Sticky? Yeah, I would have to agree that the original question was not really answered. But, it was not a question. There are times when a thread becomes a place to chatter about whatever that relates to the original post. I'm sorry if one of your questions got lost. I would love to help you, if you still have a question. Trust me D C P, most of us are here to give any support we can.

My question is rather broad...what is "mastering"? Without going into all the how-to, could someone please define what the action or process is? I understand it's near the end of a road that looks something like this:

Musician(s) perform > we record on one (or more) tracks > the tracks get augmented (adjusted levels, effects, basic EQ, whatever the situation calls for) > the tracks get mixed and combined (bounced) > the bounced tracks get mastered > the final mastered product gets formatted > the albums are printed > the band develops addictions > they somehow live forever (see McJagger and Steve Tyler)

Mastering is taking a collection of finished mixes are getting them ready for replication and distribution. It's the "handshake" between the production stage and the distribution stage.

During the mastering phase the tracks will generally be processed as to make that collection of mixes blend well with each other while insuring translation among the widest possible array of playback scenarios. Heads & tails, fades, final playback volume, etc. Tweaks. "Make-up" - "Detailing" - Minimizing the weak and maximizing the strong. Putting the mix's "best foot forward" and what not.

My question is rather broad...what is "mastering"? Without going into all the how-to, could someone please define what the action or process is? I understand it's near the end of a road that looks something like this:

Musician(s) perform > we record on one (or more) tracks > the tracks get augmented (adjusted levels, effects, basic EQ, whatever the situation calls for) > the tracks get mixed and combined (bounced) > the bounced tracks get mastered > the final mastered product gets formatted > the albums are printed > the band develops addictions > they somehow live forever (see McJagger and Steve Tyler)

That is one huge and vague question. One that is only answered by doing each stage yourself. Yes, that means doing the few drugs that Jagger and Tyler left behind. Pretty sure it is only vitamin D and C that are left.

Thank you Massive Master for the thoughtful answer! That makes more sense than eight pages of how some other guy's crude "guide" is so wrong and the humor that followed.

unmastering

Can't believe what I just read. Go back to the beginning and read through all the posts. I was very interested in mastering my music until I read this post. Now, I'm finnally convinced that, with a good music background, some savy tracking and mixing skills (honed over 35+years of recording) and a lot of common sense. The "mastering" process is better left to the artist who wrote, performed, tracked and mixed the music. In other words, that "finished sound" can get royally screwed up if left in the hands of someone who calls his self a mastering engineer and can't even sing on key him or herself. :facepalm:

And, I have to agree that the best mastering tools are your own ears. Again, all the plugins in the world won't deliver what a pair of talented ears will do. So, forget about your "mastering" tools and get the best performance, recording and mix you're capable of. First. Then, maybe introduce a bit of leveling/comp.

Now, go back and read what I just wrote again.

Can't believe what I just read. Go back to the beginning and read through all the posts. I was very interested in mastering my music until I read this post. Now, I'm finnally convinced that, with a good music background, some savy tracking and mixing skills (honed over 35+years of recording) and a lot of common sense. The "mastering" process is better left to the artist who wrote, performed, tracked and mixed the music. In other words, that "finished sound" can get royally screwed up if left in the hands of someone who calls his self a mastering engineer and can't even sing on key him or herself. :facepalm:

And, I have to agree that the best mastering tools are your own ears. Again, all the plugins in the world won't deliver what a pair of talented ears will do. So, forget about your "mastering" tools and get the best performance, recording and mix you're capable of. First. Then, maybe introduce a bit of leveling/comp.

Now, go back and read what I just wrote again.

So, tell me, how do I use a pair of ears to fix DC offset?

Back