Martin HD-xx vs D-xx for recording...

wmalan

So been trying out several Martins: D-28, D-35, and the HD versions. Got the technical diffs down and to my ears the HD versions "pop" a bit more for lack of a better term.

The HD-35 sure seems like a standout for my strumming and muted flat picking. That said, not any experience with how they may fit in the mix as a singer songwriter. Anyone have some insights or anecdotes about recording these models. Very subjective but love to hear opinions.

Bill

I've got a 1977 D-35L and a 1985 Custom Shop D-45L with narrow scalloped braces and vintage bracing pattern. Because both mine are lefty's I had to order them and take what came in the box. I wasn't disappointed by either guitar. Being in LA you should be able to find plenty of Martins to play and figure out what sounds the best to you. Whatever you end up with try Elixer nanowebs. They come to tune quicker and keep their tune longer than any other strings and I have tried them all over the years. If you plan on having pickups installed check out Trance Audio and have them do the install, or find somebody in LA that is experienced with them. Both my Martins have FRAP 3D piezos and preamps, the forerunners to what Trance is doing now.

The D-35 is my main guitar. I play it just about every day. It has a balanced tone, not too boomy or treble-y. I use .13-.56 Elixer nanowebs on it and it is a great fingerstyle and flatpicking guitar. I keep it tuned a half-step low. It records well with my LD condensers, and I would really love to put a KM-84 cardioid in front of it.

The 45 is essentially a hot-rodded D-28, and is more of a cannon than the 35, with deeper bass and brighter treble. I've kept it detuned a whole-step for probably the last 10 years or more. Even with light-gauge strings the top bellied very slightly within the first 3 or 4 years I had it.

Neither of my Martins sit back when recorded. They are out front and proud no matter how I mic them. Very articulate and distinctive. They project EVERYTHING. What I mean is they broadcast everything you do. If your picking technique is sloppy that big box will amplify it. If you happen to tap your fingernails on the top while you are playing (a bad habit I am trying to break) it's gonna come through, especially when recording. The dynamic range from soft fingerpicking to hard-driving flatpicking is amazing. They maintain their articulate tone no matter how I play them.

If you play bluegrass and go to jams and festivals an HD-28 is probably the all-time gold standard.

If your main goal is a recording instrument I would also look into an OM-28 or even a OO-28. The OM was Martin's first flat-top steel string guitar and was designed to replace banjos in small orchestras back in the early 30's, so they have a big sound for a smaller body guitar, but more balanced and less boomy than the dreadnaughts.

Whatever you do, good luck. Play as many as you can find.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the HDs but a lot with my D-35, D-41 and 000-18. The 35 is late 60's, the 41 early 70's and the 18 is a 55. Like Craig says, the Dreadnaughts just stand out. I like these more in a solo context or a more sparse arrangement. In a more dense mix I prefere the 18. The smaller body has less wool and can cut through better. I also have a Taylor GA-XXV which is a grand auditorium sized body and I like it just fine but it ain't no Martin. YMMV.

Great help guys! Just the kind of info (and or confirmation) of what I'm looking at. Not a bluegrass guy. The issue of boominess is one of my considerations. I'm sure mic placement and playing style can dictate the amount of bass. I do layer my songs with electric and acoustic. All the Martins sounded awesome in the little demo rooms. Will look into 00 and 0M models now too. Btw, thanks for the string suggestions!

As a side note, I'm coming from a late 70's Ovation Balladeer (non-pickup) that has a repaired crack on the deck. So really looking forward to an upgrade.

The H only means it has herringbone inlaid binding. They are more expensive, though, so maybe Martin picks different wood.

Dreadnoughts are very big and boomy.

The H only means it has herringbone inlaid binding. They are more expensive, though, so maybe Martin picks different wood.

Dreadnoughts are very big and boomy.

The HD also has scalloped bracing that changes the sound from the standard. Hopefully I'll get some time to play a few more. We have McCabe's, a well known guitar shop here in LA that I plan on visiting. No "deals" there but very knowledgable staff which can add real value to a sale.

I'm actually looking at Martin's at the local Guitar Center (18 months no interest = I'm all over it!). Was wondering the same thing, thanks for the info c7sus.

Back