"Marianne"

This is a beautiful pop song. The melody is very "English" and your voice has qualities of George Harrison and Roy Orbison. Very pleasing to listen to.

I'n really digging the snare sound on this. Acutally, everything sounds just fine to me, man. After reading your comments in my thread, I see you were being modest. You have nothing to learn from me when it comes to recording.

Really, nice song, great arrangement, nice solo...and very unique voice.

Great stuff.

Rami,

Thanks for listening and I'm glad you like the tune.

Dude, you've been posting excellent mixes since I started visiting this site and I'm just now starting to "not suck". I was being honest.

For me, recording and mixing is in itself.....humbling. The more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know.

Bart

Nice tune dude....seems well put together. Vocals seem a little boxy for this style of music...if you could make them a bit brighter, they might sound cleaner in this mix.

Other than that, I hear what Rami means about the style...pretty cool. Tune is well crafted. A bit of polishing, and it's done. :cool:

Thanks Dogman,

Hmmm......I think I EQ'd in some 220 Hz which might have added some boxiness instead of my intention of adding warmth.

I'll fiddle with that tomorrow. Good catch and thanks for the listen.

Bart

Sounds pretty good. The only thing really bugging me mixwise is that the acoustic doesn't seem to blend like everything else. Everything is else is pushed back, a bit wet and sorta lo-fi and the acoustic is too up front and thin. The MP3 encoding probably isnt helping.

Very nice tune, good mix and arrangement. I agree with Dogman about the vocals, though by the end of the song I'd grown used to them. They do remind me very much of the 'Big O'

60's guy said:
Great tune, Bart!

Good distinction on the tracks.

Thanks Randy. I noticed over at d-stock that you've been busy working on some tunes as well. I'll give them a listen later today.

Bart

TexRoadkill said:
Sounds pretty good. The only thing really bugging me mixwise is that the acoustic doesn't seem to blend like everything else. Everything is else is pushed back, a bit wet and sorta lo-fi and the acoustic is too up front and thin. The MP3 encoding probably isnt helping.

Something bugs me about the acoustic as well but only during the choruses. I think it is too much pick attack thats accentuating the thinner part of the sound.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bart

Bulls Hit said:
Very nice tune, good mix and arrangement. I agree with Dogman about the vocals, though by the end of the song I'd grown used to them. They do remind me very much of the 'Big O'

Gracias dude. Appreciate the feedback.

Bart

Nice song. Love the drumming. Bass guitar grooves. Guitar solo is pretty good. Nice embiance throughout.
I'd be proud of results like that.

johnnymegabyte said:
Nice song. Love the drumming. Bass guitar grooves. Guitar solo is pretty good. Nice embiance throughout.
I'd be proud of results like that.

Thanks johnny. The drummer is an old friend from high school and a fine musician indeed.

I'm primarily a guitar player but I did enjoy playing bass on this one. The guitar solo (both parts) was improvised on the spot.

Bart

Love it as well. The vocals do sound a bet 60s and boxy at times but also fit in well with the mix. I like the piano along with the guitar solo it adds to the chord progressions effect. The only thing which idk no one I saw commented on so it may be a personal thing is the snare sound is not my taste but that could be just opinion.

Good job.
DAve

DAS19 said:
Love it as well. The vocals do sound a bet 60s and boxy at times but also fit in well with the mix. I like the piano along with the guitar solo it adds to the chord progressions effect. The only thing which idk no one I saw commented on so it may be a personal thing is the snare sound is not my taste but that could be just opinion.

Good job.
DAve

Thanks Dave. I'm working on the vocal EQ to improve clarity and lose the boxy quality. If I can get that done I can probably pull down the lead vocal level a little.

There was one other comment on the snare sound which was positive. I guess it is a matter of taste. I grew up on the Bill Bruford, prog rock tight, snappy snare so I think my ears like to hear that kind of sound. As you said, it is a matter of taste.

Bart

I agree with DAS19, the snare is too... ...resonating, don´t know the right word but if you have it on a separate track I would change it.
The acoustic has too much mids and highs I guess, and the pick sound is sometimes a bit annoying, you could simply cut it out or turn lower in the refrains if the eq doesn´t help.
You could also try recording a clean electric guitar, it could sound better than the acoustic one.

Other than that, the song sounds is pretty good.

BTW how did you get that hihat? It sounds more like a tambourine to me, but it nicely fits the song.

kubeek said:
BTW how did you get that hihat? It sounds more like a tambourine to me, but it nicely fits the song.

Drums were recorded very minimalist.

4 mics.

Audix D6 on kick

Audix i5 on snare

AKG C1000 pair as overheads.

Lots of overhead automation to bring out tom fills.

Bart

This is pretty flash.
The only thing that needs work is the main vocal - it needs some "air", some "blue". I don't know any technical terms but it needs work - the melody is good, your voice is good - just needs something.
The acoustic in the chorus sounds fine to me. the solo is good too.

rayc said:
This is pretty flash.
The only thing that needs work is the main vocal - it needs some "air", some "blue". I don't know any technical terms but it needs work - the melody is good, your voice is good - just needs something.
The acoustic in the chorus sounds fine to me. the solo is good too.

Thanks ray,

I agree with you about the lead vocal. I'm still searching for that "something" to make it sit better in the mix.

The lead vocal is mildly compressed and EQ'd then bussed to a tempo synched delay. I also created two clone tracks (panned 40 L & R) which are EQ'd to remove most of the lows, boost the highs and I added a little distortion for grit.

I think it may need the right reverb....problem is I can never get lead vocal reverbs to sound good.

Thanks for the listen and feedback.

Bart

First off all , really nice tune .

Drum
-Snare could use more highs by cutting lows , maybe a small boost on the highs.
-I like a bit more highs in the kickdrum but that really isnt necessary
-Toms sound too boxy, boost around 150-700 untill you find the nasty frequency and then cut these.

Guitar
-Lead guitar sounds great and blends nicely.
-Electric guitar could use some harmonic enhancement.
-I'd put a de-esser on the acoustic guitar untill you can compress the attack on the acoustic guitar.

Vox
-Vox could be clearer but It really does not disturb me , I think It blends nicely with the music.
-Backings need a little more stereo room imo, you could pan them 20-20 with a delay on them.
The ooeee-oeee backings are per-fect !

These are all things that I would work on but are really not that important as the entire vibe of the mix is already very good.

Maybe you find points which upon you agree , just trying to help ;)

Back