making/converting tracks already recorded in 16 bit to32 bit

pod4477

is there a way. I recorded guitar, vocals, bass all in 16 bit and just figured out how to record in 32. The drums are in 32 but the rest are in 16. Is there a way i can make my already recorded guitar tracks and etc. 32 bit?

pod4477 said:
is there a way. I recorded guitar, vocals, bass all in 16 bit and just figured out how to record in 32. The drums are in 32 but the rest are in 16. Is there a way i can make my already recorded guitar tracks and etc. 32 bit?

Hi again POD!!
Yes, indeed you can do as you describe!
I guess you're happy with what you've recorded so far, and don't wish to re-record those '16bit' pieces?...that's cool.
You can double click each track (one at a time) to put the wave files into edit view.
Once in edit view, change the 'format' of that file displayed by pressing the 'convert sample type' icon (u can use CoolEdit's incredible 'help' menu to find it, HELP>Quick Reference>Search> type in "convert sample type")....that will show you what I'm talking about.

You'll tell CEP the 'sample type' ie.44.1k, 48k,(keep this the same as what u presently have set).
then tell it you want stereo or mono,
then tell it the 'resolution' ie.BIT RATE, you want ie. 32bit.

........and there you go, all trax are now 32 bit converted!! (you shouldn't lose any quality).

There is another way to keep all your trax within the 32bit realm, in future.
Goto Options>Settings>Data>AUTO CONVERT ALL DATA TO 32 BIT UPON OPENING.

This will ensure that you'll always be in 32 bit....very important.

Now, to answer another question of yours, posted somewhere else,....yes, I meant that for FINAL mixdown, your final conversion will be set to 16bit (@44.1khz) so as to be audio CD Friendly!!! (again, using the above 'convert sample type'.

Hope that helped. :)
Regards,
Superspit.

Last edited:
swee thanx! If i dont wana convert all the tracks individually with the 'convert sample type' setting (since that will take forver), can i use the "Goto Options>Settings>Data>AUTO CONVERT ALL DATA TO 32 BIT UPON OPENING" setting to convert my already 16 bit tracks to 32? or does that only work for future recordings?

You could do batch processing on all the files by going to file -> Batch processing...

Otherwise, I think the option you are talking about should work. You may have to close and re-open your project for it to take effect, I don't know.

You do know that you aren't really accomplishing anything by changing them to 32 bit. You can never add quality, you can only take it away.

The only time doing something like this makes sense is if you apply the processing to the actual audio. (not just insert plugins on the track)

Farview said:
You do know that you aren't really accomplishing anything by changing them to 32 bit. You can never add quality, you can only take it away.

The only time doing something like this makes sense is if you apply the processing to the actual audio. (not just insert plugins on the track)

Hi Farview,
I'm pretty sure that what you say is well understood. But the reason was not to try and increase quality of 'pre-recorded' 16 bit trax, but to make sure all future recordings/trax were actually in 'native' 32 bit, from now on....and I'm sure that from now on, Pod will be doing everything within the 32 bit realm.
And I believe that you can actually attempt to "keep the quality", in ref to your comments above.
Is that a reasonable comment?
Kindest regards to you,
Superspit.

You can certainly change the project to 32 bit, but you don't have to change the 16 bit audio files to 32 bit. If you actually process the original audio tracks, then it is best the change them, if not it would just be an extra step.

well ya i do al my prcessing such as eq and effects dirrectly to the waveform and save them. so is it best to vonvert to 32?

pod4477 said:
well ya i do al my prcessing such as eq and effects dirrectly to the waveform and save them. so is it best to vonvert to 32?
Hi Pod,
YES YES YES, :)
Set your controls for the heart of the sun, ...........er, um....and 32 bit!!
And, I'm pre-empting you're next question....You've probably noticed by now that your projects takes a little longer to load up on CEP now, with 32 bit activated?...You're on the right track!!
Enjoy!!

Because of the extra precision and headroom that 32 bit float has with respect to processing.

If you were storing 24 bit files when you process them, the audio would be processed at 32 bit then converted back to 24 bit to store the file.

do i need a 32 bit capable sound card to record in 32 bit? My sound card is a soundblaster audigy 4 and it says it is 24 bit capable. could this be why im getting so much crackle in multitrack view?

There is no such thing as a 32 bit converter. So a 24 bit soundcard will do you.

However, the audigy only records 16 bit and converts it (on the fly) to a 24 bit wordlength (by adding zeros) then your DAW will convert that to 32 bit (by adding more zeros) So you will end up eating twice the disc space and still only have 16 bit quality.

The crackling is probably due to your buffers being set too low. Audigys have bad latency problems.

really thatr sucks. It sounds better with 32 bit tho so then how is it only recording at 16? Can i set my buffers higher and how will i fix my crackle?

pod4477 said:
really thatr sucks. It sounds better with 32 bit tho so then how is it only recording at 16? Can i set my buffers higher and how will i fix my crackle?

Hi Pod....some posts for you at the cool edit forum....if you haven't seen already?

pod4477 said:
really thatr sucks. It sounds better with 32 bit tho so then how is it only recording at 16?
It's only because you are processing on the input. The processing sounds better at 32 bit, the original audio won't sound any different. Turn off the processing and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Back