Lost in a world of connections

hawgpen

I am lost - any suggestions to a complete novice will be appreciated!

Recording 8 track on a Tascam TSR 8 using a m-512 board. Everything was working fine recording simple 2 or 3 track recordings (SET-UP Completely according to M512 user manual and everything worked flawlessly, for 12-14 months) I recently set up to record a band and realized to get effects and other things in the live sound I needed a patch bay and I entered a 24 channel mixer too. So all instruments come into the 24 channel mixer then using send/return and correct cables it goes into the patchbay to the m-512 and returns through direct out for each channel. Everything was absolutely perfect testing it all out then when recording I suddenly started getting feedback from effects which run though a separate patch bay and are exclusive to the m512. Also for some reason only channel 1 is clean - all other incoming channels are fuzzy only on the m512. they sound great when playing only through the 24 channel board. Furthermore, no matter what channel I am selecting i get bleed from Channel 1. I have checked all the connections and everything is fine. Am I a complete idiot or does it sound like something is deffective or clearly set-up wrong? There are many other connections I could detail but I don't want to run any potential respondents off with a LONG LONG POST!!!

Thanks for any help!

What is this mysterious 24 channel mixer that you have added to the setup?

If you only have 8 tracks to record on and are using the second mixer as a sub mixer to gain additional inputs, such as a sub-mix of a drum kit, why not just create a drum sub-mix on the 24 channel board and make a two track stereo mix of that and feed that into the line inputs direct on the M512? That way, you could plug in the other instruments straight into the M512 and keep a shorter, cleaner path to the recorder?

It sounds as if you are overloading the M512 with signals that are too hot from the auxiliary mixer...gain staging is critical to not letting things get "fuzzy", as you described.

Cheers! :)

I have the 24 channel mixer so the other members of the band can participate while recording the drums. the drums take up all the inputs on the M-512 and with effects going out of auxilary and then back into the m512 channels 9-12 I don't have a place to spare for other musicians to play. So my solution was to run everyone through the 24 channel board then just patch in the channels I wanted to record. It worked fine on first channel but other channels 2-8 get fuzzy. it's odd because I don't show any overload on the meters (boards or recorder). I though maybe I had created a loop somewhere by mistake but can't seem to locate one. Any other thoughts you may have will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Back