Line 6 Spider IV 150?

J

jokerone

I have a chance to pick up a Line 6 Spider IV 150 for cheap. It would be used strictly for recording in the studio. Its more power than I need, but the deal might be too good to pass up.

Anybody have any opinions?

thanks

shameless bump.. :o

I know a lot of people on here believe that the older versions of this amp family tend to sound like a Dewalt skill saw. I also know some (aside from members of the local carpenters union) find that sound desirable. I am one who does NOT. I don't like hard Metal at all. (Love Led Zep, but not the head banger stuff).
The most "distortion" I would care for is a David Gilmour Black strat sound. I own Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5, but I found that VST limited in some respects. I'm hoping this amp will be better?

Anyway, If you have some direct experience with the Line 6 Spider IV series please do chime in.

Asstone. I don't own one but I've dicked around with them at guitar shops and know a band that uses them live. Not good IMO.

Asstone. I don't own one but I've dicked around with them at guitar shops and know a band that uses them live. Not good IMO.

that's kind of what I thought. they come with high ratings but I'm guessing that most of these are from kids who love punk and metal band sounds?
I guess worst case is I can get it and flip it on ebay if I don't like it. The price for this one is pretty good.

that's kind of what I thought. they come with high ratings but I'm guessing that most of these are from kids who love punk and metal band sounds?
I guess worse case is I can get it and flip it on ebay if I don't like it. The price for this one is pretty good.

It doesn't have anything to do with punk or metal. Those reviews are just from people that bought one, they're excited, so they immediately throw up a good review without knowing any better.

It doesn't have anything to do with punk or metal. Those reviews are just from people that bought one, they're excited, so they immediately throw up a good review without knowing any better.

Greg,

I know you have a lot of amps (or have used a lot). Do you have any suggestions on getting a good clean mark Knopfler (early Dire Straits, tunnel of love etc.) tone and/or a David Gilmour black strat tone without blowing thousands of $$$?
thanks

Greg,

I know you have a lot of amps (or have used a lot). Do you have any suggestions on getting a good clean mark Knopfler (early Dire Straits, tunnel of love etc.) tone and/or a David Gilmour black strat tone without blowing thousands of $$$?
thanks
You're talking about two legendary guitarists that use pro grade equipment.....and they can play like a mofo.

You need tubes, man. If you want those kinds of tones, it's gotta be tubes. You're in luck though because small tube amps are all the rage and relatively inexpensive. What's your actual budget?

You're talking about two legendary guitarists that use pro grade equipment.....and they can play like a mofo.

You need tubes, man. If you want those kinds of tones, it's gotta be tubes. You're in luck though because small tube amps are all the rage and relatively inexpensive. What's your actual budget?

I know Gilmour has about $20K worth of touring equipment. (not my budget).. :o

I know I'll never be able to play like them, but If I can pluck one note with the same tone I'll be very happy. :listeningmusic:

Lets say around $500. This would be used in 100 percent in the studio for recording, so I don't need a lot of power, just flexibility and good tone.. If its not recording quality, then I don't really want to waste the money on it.
Used equipment is fine as well. (which is what the Line 6 amp is).
thanks for the help.

A Fender Hot Rod or Marshall Class 5 would be good in that price range for those kinds of tones. You're probably gonna want something that can stay cleanish even when cranked pretty loud. Our very own Lt Bob has been using an little Ampeg GVT5 or something like that that gets pretty loud and stays really clean. He gets great tone with it. There are lots of small tube amps around that price you could choose from.

A Fender Hot Rod or Marshall Class 5 would be good in that price range for those kinds of tones. You're probably gonna want something that can stay cleanish even when cranked pretty loud. Our very own Lt Bob has been using an little Ampeg GVT5 or something like that that gets pretty loud and stays really clean. He gets great tone with it. There are lots of small tube amps around that price you could choose from.

very cool. thanks.

How much are they asking for the Spider? Have you tried one yourself? What guitar(s) are you using? You can get a lot of good tones out of the Spider IV (much better than previous generations), but you yourself have to determine if you like what you hear.

How much are they asking for the Spider? Have you tried one yourself? What guitar(s) are you using? You can get a lot of good tones out of the Spider IV (much better than previous generations), but you yourself have to determine if you like what you hear.

I have a mex-strat. They want $300, but will take about $250.

Try it out with your guitar, only you can detemine if you like the sound(s) for the type of music you want to make.

I got a spider III 75 for $25. The input jack was broken and I had it fixed in 15 min.
The biggest problem I have with these amps are the controls. I spend more time fiddling with the settings than I do playing. Then when you get a sound you like you had better save it (yet more button pushing) because if you happen to change a preset and then try to go back...it's gone man. It is so frustrating to me, I just keep it as a spare and then If I'm using it I use clean only and try get my tone from stomp boxes.

I got a spider III 75 for $25. The input jack was broken and I had it fixed in 15 min.
The biggest problem I have with these amps are the controls. I spend more time fiddling with the settings than I do playing. Then when you get a sound you like you had better save it (yet more button pushing) because if you happen to change a preset and then try to go back...it's gone man. It is so frustrating to me, I just keep it as a spare and then If I'm using it I use clean only and try get my tone from stomp boxes.

cool. thanks!

I'll second this, and also suggest a Fender Blues Jr. and a Tube Screamer. Assuming you have the technique, the touch on the instrument, and something vaguely Strat-y in your hands, these should all get you in the right ballpark. For jamming around you'll likely want a delay (does the Class 5 and Hot Rod have FX loops? I'm pretty sure the Blues Jr doesn't), but for recording you're just going to want to add delay in the mix so it's not a big deal.

The Spider IV? Kill it. Kill it with fire.

The Spider IV has much better emulation and FX, but you do need to learn how to make the adjustments and save presets. Not much different than working with an emulation software like GuitarRig or PodFarm.

Back