let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
Hi Guys,

I built mine this year in the loft/attic space in my new house. The room was already converted and has no buildings connected, so was the perfect space for noise. The angled ceiling helped with sound reflections. As it is a "one room" design/set up, I treated about 80% of the surfaces with acoustic foam. With more foam in the recording area, but less in the mixing area. I built 4 bass traps to straddle the 4 corners and built 2 tall Gobo screens that are reflective one side and absorption the other. With these I can build a wall across the room to divide it, or put together to make a half booth. I fitted a new staircase and built a thick hatch door with rockwool between and a compression seal. I also built the desk.

Total Build Cost (without equipment) = £600 GBP.

Studio 1.jpgStudio 2.jpg

Thanks mate. Being a small room, I had to get the most I could from it and only have the external gear in there that I really need. My concern was the "one room" design, but thankfully its certainly worked out in regards to sound treatment and its nice to work in a close environment with the client. It forces a different (in a good way) vibe from the off.

Does it qualify as a studio WITHOUT one? Uhg what's the motivation? Lol, nice space SDR. That rack looks sweet :cool:

At this point, I'm done with building traps - have enough scrap pieces for a small superchunk, but will hold off on using them. Today I built an 18" pyramid to go in my left upper front corner (right side has shelf , books and more which act as absorption/diffusion).

So here's a couple of pics showing the back wall (yes 2 windows on that wall) with 3 4" traps hung from ceiling hooks and two superchunks in the upper corners. I can't leave the traps hanging all the time, so the hook system was the best thing I could come up with. It also makes it easy to use them as gobos when recording.

1DSC03051.JPG

1DSC03052.JPG

I envy your traps, good sir. I need to start trappin' :rolleyes:

Best advice I ever got here - only took me 7+ years to realize it!

Does anyone think I should lower the two traps in front of the windows? I figured it would be better to use them high to trap some of the ceiling-wall reflections as well.

I would make a few more traps to stand up underneath the ones you are hanging.

:-)

Best advice I ever got here - only took me 7+ years to realize it!

Does anyone think I should lower the two traps in front of the windows? I figured it would be better to use them high to trap some of the ceiling-wall reflections as well.

I decided to take the TV down that I had up above my monitors, it was just too much. Built a couple more traps for the corners and placed them. The wife decided the room needed some lighting so she helped with that (and helped build the boxes actually). Here it is now

I really need to build a new desk

CSC_0016.JPG

Back